SMF Dev Blog #42: The Blog About Life, The Universe And Everything

Started by Aaron, July 02, 2009, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poolhall

Quote from: Aäron on July 02, 2009, 04:30:24 PM
Personally however, I am counting on a release this summer. :)

It's great to hear that... thanks much for the update!

GravuTrad

On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

DonnaMarie

Yigal

Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

MultiformeIngegno

Really, really, thanks!!
It looks very nice, and I'm glad to hear that the release is "near"!! :D

You rock guys!!
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

orelanic

www.therapyworld.net
TLC for minds

SoLoGHoST

Ok, first off, looks very nice.  However, I code MODS mainly for the SMF 2.0 RC1.x at the moment, and I'm interested in knowing how this will effect MODS written for SMF 2.0 RC1.x versions.  I mean, will they still be compatible with SMF 2.0 RC2??  What exactly are you guys doing to help to make our preexisting MODS compatible with the SMF 2.0 RC2 version?

Just very curious, as this could get a bit frustrating as a MOD Developer, and sure others probably feel the same way.  Since, I suppose once RC2 is released, RC1.x versions will not be able to be downloadable anymore.

So far no problems with my MODS from RC1 - RC1.2, but just wondering on RC2.
Thank You Very Much,
Solomon

karlbenson

Unfortunately I reckon most mods will require some adjustments to work on RC2.
Not least because Curve will be the new 'default' theme, and it has been re-written from scratch.
But even Core has had alot of improvements/changes.

SoLoGHoST

If the template files are just being changed then it shouldn't be that much of a headache on my end.  Since I'm concerned more about the Source file changes.  But source and template go hand-in-hand, so hopefully it will still be easy to follow (as SMF 2.0 RC1.x) and won't be too drastic of a change for my MODs to update to.  In any case, I'm sure I'll figure it out....

Thanks & Best Regards

Kenny01

I hope upgrading to RC2 will just be a matter of a click from the admin panel?

Without brain cracking.

Özgür

Quote from: Kenny01 on July 24, 2009, 05:37:05 PM
I hope upgrading to RC2 will just be a matter of a click from the admin panel?

Without brain cracking.
Smf 2.0 RC2 need large upgrade, i'm afraid.
So Long

Kenny01

Arantor

Well, it will need to be since you have a whole new theme in place.

rommul

Quote from: Kenny01 on July 24, 2009, 06:07:48 PM
That's a bad news. I don't like doing large upgrade.

is not gonna happen this year so you have time to prepare yourself

Arantor

Well, this whole blog post mentioned that one of the devs is expecting RC2 this summer.

CarpeDiem

A few of questions:

QUESTION 1:  First, will it be possible to use the current theme as found in 2.0 RC1-2 if the new Curve theme is just not liked once we get it on our forums (like will we be able to go to the adm panel and just select the old one and away we go, back to what used to be in terms of theme, but with RC2's other features working in the new way)?  Second, will the old theme files remain as they are, or will they be altered by the upgrade?

QUESTION 2:  Will adding our copyright to Curve be as easy as in the current 2.0 RC1-2 version?

QUESTION 3:  Will there be any improvements to the webinstall.php to help with the upgrade?  I've never, ever been able to get the webinstall.php to work for me once (for installs or upgrades), but Filezilla works flawlessly and installing manually always works with no errors whatsoever.  Neither 1.1.10 or 2.0 RC1-1 would install with webinstall, and I could not get an upgrade to RC1-2 to work either (I'm always told the folder does exist, but obviously, an already existing forum does exist, or if I use the same information that I use with Filezilla which always works, I'm told my sign-in information is wrong though it's what I use with Filezilla, or, again alternately, I'm told the folder doesn't exist, round and round -- just frustrating circles which arrive nowhere, and I don't know why but I feel I'm knowledgeably giving the information requested, but I always give up and do a manual install that always works the very first time).  I know I saw comments that there may be issues with the webhost related to webinstall, but what about an alternate script being made for those of us who cannot ever seem to get traditional webinstall to download files?  This alternate script (perhaps called something like insiteinstall.php) might depend on the files being uploaded by us with our own ftp program (perhaps the original downloaded zip) and then the insiteinstall.php could tuck all the files into their right places as needed (this bypasses the upload problem and it might work as an alternative for those few of us who seem to have webhost upload issues, if that's why we have problems).  I bring this up here, since I read in this thread that this upgrade will be a considerable effort, and since I have a multiple of SMF forums, I don't look forward to a multiple of tedious manual upgrades (though I'm committed enough, I would rather use my time working on using my forums, instead of under the hood working with files).

QUESTION 4:  Will the database be left unchanged by this upgrade?

Aaron

Quote from: CarpeDiem on July 25, 2009, 01:34:51 PM
QUESTION 1:  First, will it be possible to use the current theme as found in 2.0 RC1-2

Yes, the old default theme (Core) will still be available.

QUESTION 2:  Will adding our copyright to Curve be as easy as in the current 2.0 RC1-2 version?

It certainly won't be any harder. :)

QUESTION 3:  Will there be any improvements to the webinstall.php to help with the upgrade?  I've never, ever been able to get the webinstall.php to work for me once.

That probably has to do with the server configuration. The webinstall script retrieves a file from our servers; if your server disallows this, the script cannot be used.

QUESTION 4:  Will the database be left unchanged by this upgrade?

It's roughly the same. A few extra were added and some field types were changed to optimise performance, but the overall structure is the same as in 2.0 RC1, as is to be expected. :)

searchgr

Advertisement: