News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

After Upgrade To SMF 2 My Member Names Became "????"!

Started by SAFAD, July 04, 2009, 02:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAFAD

Best Regards
Sadaoui "SAFAD" Abderrahim - Lead Developer @ Electron Inc.

Norv

All of the text columns? :(

---

Please right click the phpMyAdmin page, and "view source": in the html source, there might be a meta like

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

What charset is it actually, if any?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

SAFAD

Best Regards

Norv

I think the data from this particular table was lost.

Does your host offer anything like automatic backup of the databases? Many do.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

SAFAD

Best Regards

SAFAD

Best Regards

Norv

Unless someone else has a better idea (please?),
I would say that:
- the data about members from the old database backup could be recovered, and merged with the current database. It seems hard though. But, if successful, that will mean that all members data (from the members table) that was saved a long time ago will be available again, and any edits to this data meanwhile will be lost.

With the new members, there are two ways:
First:
- the new members can be preserved, but the signatures etc., all other columns from the members table, for new members, will be empty ("").
- the names of the new members ... I'm not sure about the names. At first sight it seems to me there is no reasonable enough way to try setting them back. (The member names are saved in other places, for example, in the smf_messages table when they post. But I have to think a little to see if it can be copied from there to the members table in a reasonable way.). But there are passwords too, which cannot be recovered, nor reset properly. And more issues.
Second:
- there may be less work if the new members remake their account, with the same name they used to have. And then, try merging the new accounts with the older posts and topics and so on.

I can try to do some of these.

But after this, I'd say you will still have some manual editing to do. I will be back with details.

Anyway, if you agree that I do the try to recover all that it's reasonably possible, please let me know. I will need both databases, and in case you agree, I will PM you an account to use for it.

SAFAD

well certenly its a long message to read
what i get i will lost my new ARABIC Members Only
Thats Might be simple to fix
I Upgrade My Old DB
Then Delete From The Current Table Arabic Members
Put The Old DB Upgraded Member Table In The New One
Then IT Must Work For Sure
What You Think About This Idea ?
Best Regards

SAFAD

Best Regards

Norv

SAFAD

There Is No Old Back UP
IT IS DELETE After Hard Disk Crash
O Man
Best Regards

Norv

First, please allow me to answer the previous point (so that it is no misunderstanding):

I Upgrade My Old DB
Then Delete From The Current Table Arabic Members
Put The Old DB Upgraded Member Table In The New One
Then IT Must Work For Sure
What You Think About This Idea ?
No, delete is not a solution. The idea is the old members exist in the new database and in the old database, and they have the same ID, and IDs are important, if you delete them then after importing the old ones you have new IDs, so all kinds of things will not work, like attachments will not "belong" to them, or other broken links. No, delete is not a solution.
A series of updates, instead. As I said, it's tedious, but it can be done.
(if two such backups exist)

SAFAD

Best Regards

Norv

Yes, I'm really sorry to hear that. Are you sure there is no other? From SMF it is so easy to make a backup, it's in Admin > Forum maintenance, it's just a click and press a button, save to disk, done.
Well, anyway, there are also software applications that make automatic backups.

Norv

But now. What can be done: can you please tell how many members you have ? with non-english names, as you mentioned.

SAFAD

Best Regards

SAFAD

Best Regards

Norv

Please run:

select concat('UPDATE smf_members SET member_name = ', quote(poster_name), ', real_name=', quote(poster_name), ', personal_text=\'\', location=\'\', email_address=', quote(poster_email), ', member_ip=', quote(poster_ip), '  WHERE id_member = ', CAST(id_member AS CHAR), ';') from smf_messages order by id_member;

The query is not tested, it might have some silly syntax errors. But the idea is: there's actually a lot of data to be recovered from smf_messages at least.
The query results are UPDATE statements., like the attached screenshot. Please run then "Print view (full texts)", and ignore the printing: it also makes a listing in browser. Save the listing as .sql file, or .txt file. Then open it in a text editor, and remove the first lines (they are not SQL statements).
Then, run the rest of the SQL script (the UPDATE statements).

I will probably be not online for the next ten hours or so. But please keep us informed. Thank you!

SAFAD

UPDATE smf_members SET member_name = '??? ????? ???????', real_name='??? ????? ???????', personal_text='', location='', email_address='[email protected]', member_ip='192.168.1.66'  WHERE id_member = 3;

still the same
Best Regards

Norv

Please, make a screenshot with the results of running the first code, the select concat( ... etc.

Advertisement: