News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

No "reply" button after receiving a PM

Started by putwittynamehere, June 08, 2009, 01:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

putwittynamehere

I have gotten numerous PM's from users complaining about not being able to reply to a PM that was received.  There is absolutely no reply button in the Private Message window.  I have confirmed this with test accounts.

I have went through every single permission and cannot figure out why this is.  I am currently using version 1.1.4

Any ideas?

InstilledBee

Are you using a custom theme? Maybe there's a problem with your PersonalMessage.Template.php.

But before we look into that, maybe the Regular Members permission to send PMs is unchecked? Try checking if it's set right first. ;)
Kung Pinoy ka, at nababasa mo 'to, kabayan kita! ;)

Links:

putwittynamehere

InstilledBee

Hmmm. OK, are you using the default theme, or a custom one?

Maybe there's something wrong with the PM template file like I mentioned earlier. ::)

Links:

putwittynamehere

I'm using the default theme. 

I have no idea about any template or anything like that.  You may need to dumb it down for me.  Definitely in the nooooob category when it comes to this..haha

InstilledBee

Haha, well basically that file controls how PM pages should look like.

If you have no installed package (additional feature) or any other thing you did to modify PM features, maybe you'd want to try reuploading the PersonalMessage.Template.php file. Most probably it got tampered the wrong way.

Just extract the SMF package on your PC, look in the folder 'Themes/default' and find the file PersonalMessage.Template.php. Once you've done that, access your FTP and upload that template file on the same directory it is found on your webserver, e.g., 'Themes/default'. If you're asked to overwrite, just do so since that's what we're aiming for anyways. ;)

If you have no mods which modifies how PMs work, replacing that file shouldn't do much harm, whether or not it will successfully solve your problem, so don't worry. Just try it. :D

Links:

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi putwittynamehere, did the advice Instilledbee gave you help?
It would be the same advice I would give. If you have no modifications installed, and are using the default theme, the best place to look at would be the theme files - if permissions are right.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

N3RVE

I'm going through old 'unresolved' topics, do you require any further support?
If they are none, please mark this topic as solved to indicate :)

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Advertisement: