PrintPage output improvements wanted

Started by pakorn, April 04, 2005, 02:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pakorn

Dear SMF Developer Team,

I wonder how many people out there have ever made use or had a good look on the print-page outcome of SMF. There are few problems in my concern that should be resolved, i.e.,

1. The paragraph output generated by the print-page function does not always match the normal view display of the same message content;

2. The print or print-preview function of the IE6 browser I am using cannot reproduce a proper hardcopy or print-preview (as it normally could with other html display page);

3. Part of the generated print-page output from SMF (up to the most recent version), containing repetition of the following title heading form:

------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: <topic title>
    Post by: <username> on <date>, <time>

which is obviously incorrect grammatically. I'd like to recommend that the prompt string "Post by: " be changed to "Posted by: " in order to make more sense.

Thank you for your kind attention and great effort in developing and improving SMF system for all of us. Cheers.

Yours sincerely,

Pakorn Chan

Thantos

Quote1. The paragraph output generated by the print-page function does not always match the normal view display of the same message content;
How so?  I could see a line wrapping issue but thats nothing.

Quote2. The print or print-preview function of the IE6 browser I am using cannot reproduce a proper hardcopy or print-preview (as it normally could with other html display page);
What do you mean?

Quote3. Part of the generated print-page output from SMF (up to the most recent version), containing repetition of the following title heading form:

Title: <topic title>
    Post by: <username> on <date>, <time>

which is obviously incorrect grammatically. I'd like to recommend that the prompt string "Post by: " be changed to "Posted by: " in order to make more sense.
In this case "Post" is a noun not a verb.  So to say "Post By:" would be just as correct as saying "Topic By:"

pakorn

Thanks for the response. Well, I will give some instances as follows:

Problem 1: Often, when a List and/or a table are inserted as part of the content, extra lines space can sometime be generated for no reason on the corresponding print-page despite the view display looks OK.

Problem 2: Try visiting the following local SMF page of this forum:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=2314.0

And click File/Print Preview on your IE6 browser and you will see what I meant.

Problem 3: If the heading prompt  "Post by: " is intended to be equivalent to "Topic by: " then reducing it to merely "By: " would sound less ambiguous to me. Anyhow, "Posted by: " is the best choice conventionally (cf. written by, submitted by, authored by, etc.). I'd like to hear some more opinions on this issue.

Thantos

Problem 1: Example please
Problem 2: WFM
Problem 3: edit index.english.php find $txt[197] and change it

pakorn

Thanks a lot for suggesting the configurable solution for Problem 3. An excellent system design for SMF I must say.

For Problem 1, in my opinion, if the same CGI engine used to generate this normal view display is also made use for the print-page generation, such an apparent anomaly should never exist.

In order to illustrate the problem, please try the print-page of this whole topic. Below is one of the test instance explaining my point.

The supposedly nice looking table view display as you can see will be padded by a large amount of extra line space above the table. Apparently, an approximate one half of an extra line space is also added below the table text for free.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic heading above the table

Auckland University August 1
Auckland University of TechnologyJuly 31
Waikato University July 1
Massey University July 31
Victoria University of Wellington July 1
Lincoln University June 30
Canterbury University July 31
Otago University June 30
Dunedin College of Education July 31

Paragraph immediately below the table.

Another paragraph further below. Some more text keeps following, etc., moreeee...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement: