Ways to get Moderators & Super Moderators (must read)

Started by _xXxSLASH3RxXx_, July 12, 2009, 09:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

I think this is a good way it worked for me LOL.Ok make a Board in your general Catorgory Call the board "Staff Application) On this board people will Request a application to be a staff of your website they'll request to be A moderator or Super Or Gfx Or programmer i don't know

Heres the rules you should post

1.Include experience

2.Activity (VERY IMPORTANT)

3.why i be a ???

then if it has anoft Information then Make him/her a ??? BE sure to put We are currently in need of ??? or Open Staff Jobs
:D it works for me though dont always be kind becare fuly who request a staff job if they don't get on that much than denie it

H

I don't know about anyone else but I generally avoid joining any forum that encourages staff applications. In my experience it is better to ask consistently contributing users who have shown a professional attitude staff positions. Having them request it will just generally encourage those who want moderation powers
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

H

Obviously. However you cannot properly know someone until they've been an active member of the community so an application system seems a little pointless
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Uhura!

Quote from: H on July 12, 2009, 05:35:44 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I generally avoid joining any forum that encourages staff applications. In my experience it is better to ask consistently contributing users who have shown a professional attitude staff positions. Having them request it will just generally encourage those who want moderation powers

I agree 100%

Consistent contributors with certain personality attributes is the way to go.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

JeremyB.

Yes I agree 100% also the only time I choose staff for my forum is unless there constantly contributing as H said but yea I guess if you WANT mods right away make a application system and you'l be sure to get a great mod that never posts and Is hardly on :P
"The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little."

alex30

This is a good idea, but I personally would not do that on my forums.

First, I want to avoid useless topics that kids and people will post in order to  just get a mod tag.

Second, if I need moderators then I would choose from those people that stay on my forum for a while and know enough to help others.

I see only one positive aspect in this, people will register because they'll see that board.

Anyway thanks for your tips, it might help others.

Liam.

Well H, iKorp uses a method so that users with a post count per day of 5 and above get to view the Staff Applications, and when a user reaches 100 posts, they can see it permanently. But however when they hit that, there are other rules for joining the Staff Team, so they must be dedicated to posting anyways before they even think about applying, or it will be declined and they will get a warning.

Sure, I admit that I used the method that you've just posted before, but look at it this way: All of my previous sites died because of it, this time I'm not using that method and it's working.

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Ryanator

I only allow people I know on a face-to-face level to be mods on my site. I just don't trust giving someone 10,000 miles away the potential to ruin my site.
(sic)shooters
Listening - Watching - Playing - Drinking - Living

Click here to advertise your website on (sic)shooters FREE!

Arantor

That's a wise move.

In the forums I've admin'd, I only give out the staff positions to people I actually know I can trust, even if I haven't met them face to face, simply because I've known them long enough to trust them.

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

[Hurricane]

This is not a good idea at all,

Simply for the reason your forum could get badly messed up, your members could get harrased, you could end up possibly getting hacked, the only time (In my opinion) you should give someone staff position on your forum is if there constantly contributing, is a nice person and respects everyone, also you should probably know this person for a good amount of time on your forum to see if they really have devotion to your forum and are not trying to gte staff and elave and come back every now and again and abuse there powers and anger alot of members who are alot more deserving.

-[Hurricane]

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

[Hurricane]

xXArmedTwist3dXx,

There is another example of a pointless post, and post like that are useless and don't even have a point in being read, generally when asking a question and someone is willing enough to give you a correct and accurate answer you should do the same in return.

-[Hurricane]

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Quote from: [Hurricane] on July 24, 2009, 09:33:29 PM
xXArmedTwist3dXx,

There is another example of a pointless post, and post like that are useless and don't even have a point in being read, generally when asking a question and someone is willing enough to give you a correct and accurate answer you should do the same in return.

-[Hurricane]

So far no one gave a answer that helped me so how can do it in return??Tell them a way that don't work basicly lying? i don't think so if someone didn't help me out how can i help them out if they give me a false answer?Can you answer that Mr.Know it All?

Arantor

The way to get moderators is to have a community with people you can trust not to abuse the privilege. Generally such people will have demonstrated good judgement before, perhaps even jumped in to calm things down before they got out of hand.

They will be consistent, regular contributors, probably use a good command of the forum language and so on, and above all you have to trust them.

xXArmedTwist3dXx, what I believe [Hurricane] was referring to are the posts that simply contain O_O and other such comments that aren't actually helpful - if they don't answer your question, why not? What do you want to know other than what we have told you? Most of the answers you've received here are the rules other forum admins run by.

If you'd like us to tell you that advertising for staff is the way to go, we can tell you that - but it's not true. Generally people who ask for power are unfit to use it. People who are mod candidates prove themselves by being good members, not because they ask. Anyone who asks me for moderator status immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Quote from: Arantor on July 27, 2009, 08:06:24 PM
The way to get moderators is to have a community with people you can trust not to abuse the privilege. Generally such people will have demonstrated good judgement before, perhaps even jumped in to calm things down before they got out of hand.

They will be consistent, regular contributors, probably use a good command of the forum language and so on, and above all you have to trust them.

xXArmedTwist3dXx, what I believe [Hurricane] was referring to are the posts that simply contain O_O and other such comments that aren't actually helpful - if they don't answer your question, why not? What do you want to know other than what we have told you? Most of the answers you've received here are the rules other forum admins run by.

If you'd like us to tell you that advertising for staff is the way to go, we can tell you that - but it's not true. Generally people who ask for power are unfit to use it. People who are mod candidates prove themselves by being good members, not because they ask. Anyone who asks me for moderator status immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

I know that getting mods i make a board they have to post there experience they had i don't go off making everyone mods.Infact i had 8 administrators i demoted 5 of them..

& what do you mean by

Anyone who asks me for moderator status immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

Arantor

By that I mean that anyone who asks me about becoming a moderator is immediately demoted in my 'mental list of people I'd consider as potential moderators' back to the bottom of the list - as people prove their ability, they get promoted in my mental list.

Speaking as someone with psychology experience and training, not to mention experience admin'ing, running and moderating forums, I've found people who usually apply for staff positions on a forum are usually the wrong kinds of people to make moderators, because often they are attention seeking, frequently with low self esteem and don't have the confidence in themselves to adequately moderate.

You've asked us about staff applications, we've told you we think it's a bad idea and have provided justification.

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Uhura!

Generally people who ask for power are unfit to use it. People who are mod candidates prove themselves by being good members, not because they ask. Anyone who asks me for moderator status immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

I am not sure if this is always true, but in my personal experience it is. I am having a helluva time with this staff member who basically joined the forum, hung out and posted each day, and shortly after that begged for additional access instead of waiting until she had the time & posts needed to get into the private rooms. (Of course we made her wait.) After that, she begged for a job on the forum & now she is quite inadequate + unreliable. Also, she does not contribute in any real way to any of the discussions.

Recently I asked the staff members to help out by posting at least one new thread a day if they log in because right now - although people reply to threads - only a few people have been starting them. In response to my request for help starting threads, she started a thread to complain about a logo on the forum!

:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

_xXxSLASH3RxXx_

Quote from: Uhura! on July 29, 2009, 10:20:11 AM

Generally people who ask for power are unfit to use it. People who are mod candidates prove themselves by being good members, not because they ask. Anyone who asks me for moderator status immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

I am not sure if this is always true, but in my personal experience it is. I am having a helluva time with this staff member who basically joined the forum, hung out and posted each day, and shortly after that begged for additional access instead of waiting until she had the time & posts needed to get into the private rooms. (Of course we made her wait.) After that, she begged for a job on the forum & now she is quite inadequate + unreliable. Also, she does not contribute in any real way to any of the discussions.

Recently I asked the staff members to help out by posting at least one new thread a day if they log in because right now - although people reply to threads - only a few people have been starting them. In response to my request for help starting threads, she started a thread to complain about a logo on the forum!

Wow thats is so wrong thats.I limited & posted to people that if they beg for a Open spots for staff i'll temporaly ban them, begging is not cool.

Arantor

Quote from: xXArmedTwist3dXx on July 29, 2009, 12:42:44 PM
Wow thats is so wrong thats.I limited & posted to people that if they beg for a Open spots for staff i'll temporaly ban them, begging is not cool.

Interesting, since in your first post in this thread you basically invited folk to become moderators - at least that is what you appeared to be saying.

Uhura!

Arantor

Uhuru!, I think your approach of asking staff to post new topics is generally a good one, and for the right reasons, though I've heard everything ranging from 'definitely do this' to 'definitely don't do this' in terms of advice.

If a forum with > 100 members has less than half a dozen posting, something is kind of wrong, and it means it needs more fuel for debate and discussion, hopefully that can draw in the other posters.

I've also heard suggestions of running competitions, polls, and more - which again are good ideas.

Regarding your specific member who is problematic, I'd actually suggest making her into her own little membergroup - Probationary Staff, with the fairly clear warning that if she doesn't shape up to conduct befitting a staff position, she should be removed from staff, but that's just my opinion.

Uhura!

Quote from: Arantor on July 29, 2009, 03:52:07 PM
Uhuru!, I think your approach of asking staff to post new topics is generally a good one, and for the right reasons, though I've heard everything ranging from 'definitely do this' to 'definitely don't do this' in terms of advice.

If a forum with > 100 members has less than half a dozen posting, something is kind of wrong, and it means it needs more fuel for debate and discussion, hopefully that can draw in the other posters.

Here are our stats:
Total Members:     107
Total Posts:    51356
Total Topics:    3219
Average posts per day:     150.75
Average topics per day:    10.01
Average online per day:     10.11

*Note: On the weekends, our forum is very quiet because we're all mothers - LOL! So, that drags the average online per day figure down.

My concern was that only certain people would start posts, but then once the posts are started everyone else hops on. I felt that this looks bad because of seeing the same names in the "started by" column wouldn't be all that appealing to new members.

The staff actually did honor my request today - some really got into it and initiated more than one thread. There was a lot more activity because of it. Noticed the difference immediately.

QuoteI've also heard suggestions of running competitions, polls, and more - which again are good ideas.

We recently had an anniversary raffle & we gave away designer handbags. It went well. We raised a couple hundred dollars from it. We're currently planning an e-Baby Shower.

QuoteRegarding your specific member who is problematic, I'd actually suggest making her into her own little membergroup - Probationary Staff, with the fairly clear warning that if she doesn't shape up to conduct befitting a staff position, she should be removed from staff, but that's just my opinion.

I was thinking of "suggesting" for her to go on a hiatus. If she doesn't bite, I may resort to that. I need to be polite. We're a mom's group ...so we're expected to be supportive & she's got personal issues which are making her previously bad behavior even worse @ this point. My ultimate goal if she doesn't shape up is to ease her out bit by bit.

Arantor

Uhura!

What about our stats - how do they look to you for a forum which is 12 months old?

Arantor

I'd be really proud if I'd had a forum running with 51k posts on it. You're doing just great!

Uhura!

Advertisement: