News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Inactive Member Group Mover

Started by Thantos, April 05, 2005, 12:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

Link to Mod

*NOTE:  This mod is still in beta*
This mod allows you to set rules that will move inactive members into predefined membergroups.
The rules can be setup based off of the number of posts and length of time inactive.  The number of posts takes precendance.

Rules can not be created moving anyone into or out of the following groups:
Administrator
Global Moderator
Any Post Count Based Group

Members with permissions to manage membergroups can process the rules at any time by:
Admin -> Manage Inactive Rules ->  View and Process Inactive Members (A list of all the members that will be moved will be displayed at this time) -> Process These Inactive Members

A list will display detailing who was moved, from what group, to what group, and the last time they logged in.

FaSan

It is a good idea !

But.. i found a bug :

$query = "
         UPDATE {$db_prefix}members SET
         ID_GROUP=$mem[to] ".
            ($mem['save']? ", addit i onalGroups='". implode(',', array($mem['fromGroup'], $mem['secgroups']) ). "'": ''). "
         WHERE ID_MEMBER=$mem[id] LIMIT 1
         ";

Thantos

Fixed and new version uploaded.  Thanks!

Thantos

Now on version 0.5
QuoteVersion: 0.5
  - This is a BETA version.  If you find any errors please let me know at the email above.
  - Ok this time I'm sure it says Never instead of Jan 01, 1970
  - Removed the fatal error if the from and to were the same when trying to modify the rule

greyknight17

This is great.  I've been waiting for something similar to this.

Will try this out when I have some free time and post feedback.

Thantos

Should I change it so that the fromGroup can be multiple groups?  Might be helpful if you didn't want to make multiple rules to do the same basic thing.

TarantinoArchives

I'd still love to see the "max posts" as an option back in. like i explained, after moving from YabbSE to SMF even users with many posts are listed as "last online: never"

Thantos

You can setup another rule to act as a max posts.
The problem with having a  max posts is that I would have to make sure that no two rules affecting the same group would overlap.
Given this case:
Rule 1) min 0 max 50 ....
Rule 2) min 30 max 100 ...

If the member had 45 posts which rule should they fall under?

Say you want to seperate those with 0 posts and online: never with those will at least 1 post and online: never, currently you can do:
Rule 1) From, to, Min 0, Inactive: 1825 (about 5 years)
Rule 2) From, to, Min 1, Inactive: 1825

Now rule 1 will only apply to those with exactly 0 posts and in the from group

TarantinoArchives

yes I found that works pretty well, thank you.

Some suggestions:

- In the "view and process" section you normally get a pretty large list of members. Would be cool if those could be grouped BY RULE and for example have it show like this:

Members by rule X: 50 (show)
Members by rule Y: 14 (show)
Members by rule Z: 5 (show)

and when you click on "show" a window pops up and it shows you all the members.

OR: make the list sortable. just an idea...

- once i made a new rule, i have to go back to the main menu to make a new one. would be cool if there would be a field to make e new rule right afte i just made one.

Viking Chief

I could use this mod on my community, its looks like a very useful tool :), but I'm using smf 1.0.3.
??? What modifications has to be made to make it compatible with 1.0.3 ?
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus" -Mark Twain

Thantos

It's compatible with 1.0.3
On the mod submit page there is no checkbox for 1.0.3 so I went with 1.0.2

I like those ideas TarantinoArchives.  I'll probably go with making the list sortable since (hopefully) after the first time you process the rules the list will be more manageable :)

And I haven't forgotten about allowing it to run as a scheduled maintenance.

TarantinoArchives

is there a possibility that those rules can be integrated into SMF's member groups system? that instead of creating a new member group based in posts or non-posts you can also create one based on activity (like here), gender, location etc?

Viking Chief

Thanks for your speedy reply! ;)

I'll install it on my community ...  :P
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus" -Mark Twain

Thantos

IMO it be difficult, since whats been asked for isn't based on activity but the lack of it.
The other groups I've seen have been based on something that can change when the user does something.  It's harder to do base a change off of when the user doesn't do something.

TarantinoArchives

Quote from: MikeMill on April 07, 2005, 12:47:38 PM
IMO it be difficult, since whats been asked for isn't based on activity but the lack of it.
The other groups I've seen have been based on something that can change when the user does something.  It's harder to do base a change off of when the user doesn't do something.

I understand. But when a user doesn't sign in for 3 months, he DOES something: not being active. and so his "last online: X" value has a change of ZERO. wouldn't it be possible to make it based on the change of that value?
just an idea :-)

when do you think the next version's gonna be out? still not sure if i wanna try this at this early Beta stage :-)

Thantos

QuoteI understand. But when a user doesn't sign in for 3 months, he DOES something: not being active. and so his "last online: X" value has a change of ZERO. wouldn't it be possible to make it based on the change of that value?
That is not doing something that is doing nothing.  Lets look at the post group as an example.  When the user makes a post they did something that invoked a particular piece of code that incremented the post count which then in turn can see if they can then change groups.  When someone removes the post it invokes a piece of code that decrements their post count and sees if they should change groups. 
Both times a piece of code was invoked.  Thats the key, some action has to be done to invoke the code.  In this case its the group mover.

Quotewhen do you think the next version's gonna be out? still not sure if i wanna try this at this early Beta stage :-)
Since I don't see any bugs being mentioned it'll probably be Saturday befor 0.6 is released.  Though I already have the sort part written with another mod so it shouldn't take me too long to do that.

TarantinoArchives

another question:

what happens if a Member, which i moved because he was inactive, logs in again and so is no longer inactive anymore, he will still be in that grouped i moved him to, right? or is he thrown out of it again?

by the way, do you need translations for any of your mods (German-English, English-German)?

Thantos

Quotewhat happens if a Member, which i moved because he was inactive, logs in again and so is no longer inactive anymore, he will still be in that grouped i moved him to, right? or is he thrown out of it again?
They'll stay in the inactive group.  I'll look into a reversable option.
You may be able to simulate it currently by creating two rules to move out.
1) From to inactive: 1 posts 0
2) from from (group is the same) inactive: 10 days posts 0

I'll have to check it out though

Quoteby the way, do you need translations for any of your mods (German-English, English-German)?
I'll always accept translations and will make avialable any I get.  Just send them to [email protected] just make sure you specify for which mod

TarantinoArchives

did you get my email with the language files?

Thantos

Aye.  I've been busy this last wek setting up a new location for one of the communities I belong to.  The members voted and went with vBulletin since they are used to it so I've been having to learn their code to figure out what I need to do to get what I want.

Advertisement: