News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Battle

Started by Chen Zhen, July 13, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

I did not once press the back button or any other buttons than those within the Battle mod itself  ;)

FrizzleFried

Quote from: -Underdog- on August 22, 2013, 03:50:19 PM

ChalkCat,

For version 1.11 ensure that you did not press the browser back button (the arrow at the top left) whilst in explore, battle nor quests. It should not matter as it will not allow you to go back but use the links in the battle nav bar to be sure. I have not encountered the issue you speak of but I will run some tests to see if I can duplicate it & resolve the issue.

FrizzleFried,

Thank you for the suggestions and they are good ideas. A counter to add a small delay while battling and exploring?? Yes I like that idea.

I also thought about the idea of adding some sound. Also to have it display the enemy and user icon whilst in the middle of a battle. Are these good ideas? Would you people like to see things like that? The sound can be optional of course.. perhaps one of the user settings.

The sound idea is good as long as there is a way to turn it off (you KNOW some will complain!)... :)

I really like the idea of the enemy icon and user icon popping up.  Could go hand n hand with the time delay idea.  Show one icon vs the other icon with the delay count down in the middle... perhaps this is where the sounds could play (armor sounds,  swinging sounds,  hit sounds,  miss sounds,  etc).

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Fog on August 22, 2013, 03:07:08 PM
Quote1. Add the ability to allow for more "random" results when creating custom "explore" (which should be renamed "encounters" IMHO)... two possible results is OK... but I'd think it would add quite a bit more "depth" to allow for up to 5 or even 10 (or maybe even allow the admin to choose how many) possible results.

What I've done in the past is Create the same Custom Explore several times then you can more than just two results.

Good idea...

Fog

Quote from: FrizzleFried on August 22, 2013, 05:33:32 PM
Quote1. Add the ability to allow for more "random" results when creating custom "explore" (which should be renamed "encounters" IMHO)... two possible results is OK... but I'd think it would add quite a bit more "depth" to allow for up to 5 or even 10 (or maybe even allow the admin to choose how many) possible results.

What I've done in the past is Create the same Custom Explore several times then you can more than just two results.

Good idea...

Thanks,

I have a core on the site I manage that enjoys the Battle Game and this new version is going to allow us to have that much more fun.

I like you're idea of being able to add weapons.

But....There is the element of surprise in this game and you'll see that you've been caught off guard.  At that point are you subject to sticking with a default weapon or are you allowed to change up your weapons after you've been caught of guard to match up better with the monster?

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Fog on August 22, 2013, 11:30:38 PM
Quote from: FrizzleFried on August 22, 2013, 05:33:32 PM

Good idea...

Thanks,

I have a core on the site I manage that enjoys the Battle Game and this new version is going to allow us to have that much more fun.

I like you're idea of being able to add weapons.

But....There is the element of surprise in this game and you'll see that you've been caught off guard.  At that point are you subject to sticking with a default weapon or are you allowed to change up your weapons after you've been caught of guard to match up better with the monster?

Perhaps you'd be stuck with the weapon you have for the first round then you can switch up as you "have time"?

FrizzleFried

Possible bug... (I only have minimal mods installed but I do have other mods installed SO....)

DISABLE BATTLE does NOT removed the BATTLE option from the menu,  but rather redirects to the forum index when clicked on.  It should remove the BATTLE option completely from the top menu bar... right?

SilverKnight

Congratulations on keeping her going Underdog.

Fog

Quote from: FrizzleFried on August 23, 2013, 10:13:19 AM
Possible bug... (I only have minimal mods installed but I do have other mods installed SO....)

DISABLE BATTLE does NOT removed the BATTLE option from the menu,  but rather redirects to the forum index when clicked on.  It should remove the BATTLE option completely from the top menu bar... right?

It has always left the BATTLE button when you disable the Game,  Maybe we can come up with a setting that would remove the BATTLE button in the future.

Also remember to uninstall the MOD before you delete it or the BATTLE button will always be there until you go and manually remove it.

FrizzleFried

When i move this over to my main site I have to do a manual button anyway (I have an "ARCADE" button with sub-buttons,  one of which will be BATTLE)...

:)

Chen Zhen

FrizzleFried,

Yes it is something I overlooked. The edit is very simple if you want to fix it...

File: Sources/BattleHooks.php

find:

// Insert after Profile tab.
battle_array_insert($menu_buttons, 'search',
array(
'battle' => array(
'title' => $txt['battle_tab'],
'href' => $scripturl . '?action=battle;#battle_main',
'show' =>  allowedTo('view_battle'),
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
'active_button' => false,
),
)
);

replace with:

// Insert after Profile tab.
battle_array_insert($menu_buttons, 'search',
array(
'battle' => array(
'title' => $txt['battle_tab'],
'href' => $scripturl . '?action=battle;#battle_main',
'show' =>  allowedTo('view_battle') && !empty($modSettings['enable_battle']),
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
'active_button' => false,
),
)
);

It will be fixed when I release another update but I am not ready to do that at this time until more changes are added.

SilverKnight,

Thanks.. it will improve as I develop it further.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

BGH

Thanks for getting back with this mod, is very cool!

Testing it in localhost, there was a problem with it. When I installed it, throwed the following error:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!

Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (mon_range)

It installed, though it doesn't work well (character starts dead, and there are a lot images broken, checking them they all have 0 bytes). Might it be a problem related to the mod packaging?

Regards.

kasey_john

Hi my friend just installed battle 1.1 on her smf 2.0.5 forum but has a small problem. She can see the Battle button on the menu bar & she can play the game but no other member of her forum can see the battle button to play the game. Whst could the problem be? thanks for your help.

TheListener

Quote from: kasey_john on August 25, 2013, 12:00:16 AM
Hi my friend just installed battle 1.1 on her smf 2.0.5 forum but has a small problem. She can see the Battle button on the menu bar & she can play the game but no other member of her forum can see the battle button to play the game. Whst could the problem be? thanks for your help.

Welcome to smf.

As I don't use the mod myself this is just a guess.

Has your friend check the permissions?

Chen Zhen

BGH,

I see the issue with a new user starting and I will fix this shortly. As for your other issue with the error, was it during the actual installation or afterward when adjusting things in the battle admin perhaps?

kasey_john,

Yes this sounds like a permissions issue. One must adjust the permission setting for every membergroup to allow their users to play Battle. By default, the admin (owner) has permission to do everything.

ChalkCat,

I have tested the explore mode in the 5 most popular browsers and can not duplicate the issue you are having atm.

An update will be coming this week to address the issues reported so far. Thanks to all for your interest in the mod and reporting any problems you come across.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

TheListener

Hi UD sorry to jump in.

Chalky

Thanks for looking into it UD.  I've been playing with it since too and haven't seen the error again, so maybe it was just one of those things....

BGH

Quote from: -Underdog- on August 25, 2013, 12:16:39 AM
BGH,

I see the issue with a new user starting and I will fix this shortly. As for your other issue with the error, was it during the actual installation or afterward when adjusting things in the battle admin perhaps?

Thanks for looking at this, -Underdog-. It was right after the installation.

Cheers!

Chen Zhen

BGH,

If it was after the installation and in the Admin then you most likely attempted to enter a non integer value where an integer was required. This of course should have been checked in the source file whereas this is now fixed for the upcoming version. Your image problem sounds like you either installed a theme after installing Battle or when installing Battle you must have not check marked the necessary files to install in other themes (ie. the one you are seeing the issue in).  Battle requires its image files to be put in your custom theme's image folder & the installation will do that so long as you check mark the necessary checkboxes for it to do so.

An update will be released shortly that addresses all issues reported to me thus far. It is being tested atm and I will release it when the testing is complete and successful.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

BGH

^ That's odd. I've never entered a non integer value, or at least, not intentionally. This happened after pressing the Install Now button in the Package Manager. And about the images, I installed this on a custom theme and checked the checkboxes before installing this mod, but doesn't seem related to the theme, as this error shows also when installing this mod only for Curve theme (SMF's default). I had a previous version of this mod, which I uninstalled before installing this new version. There wasn't a single trace of that previous version of this mod when installing this new one.

This is what I found on the Error log:

Quotehttp://***/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=Battle_v1.11.zip;pid=0
Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (mon_range)
Function: require
C:/AppServ/www/smf/Packages/temp/installScript.php
Line: 1304

And there are a lot of Undefined errors, too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your answer.

Best regards.

Cyberhost

How do I translate that navigator and full battle page?

Advertisement: