News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Battle

Started by Chen Zhen, July 13, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chen Zhen

johnnygee,

Your forum is up and running again, let me know if you still have issues with the Battle Mod. Also if there are messages in the error log concerning Battle specifically, please post them here but remember to omit any sensitive data from the text.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Norvidge

Hi! I've installed this mod and its awesome but i have a problem.
i want to edit battle-template.php in order to custom the design. change classes, add a banner on the top and stuff. but when i make any change in that file smf battle crashes and i have to reinstall the mod  :'(
how can i do that??
tnx :)

Chen Zhen

Norvidge,

Imo you do not have to uninstall/install the mod after making changes to a file. Decompress a copy of the mod on your pc/mac and then upload & overwrite that file with the original using FTP when you mess it up.

It sounds to me that you may not be PHP and HTML savvy, causing errors in the code with improper syntax.  That aspect actually has nothing to do with Battle itself (learning the basics of PHP and HTML) whereas you are going to have to learn those things on your own through trial & error and your own research. Perhaps try php.net, w3schools & stackoverflow by way of Google which are great resources.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Norvidge

I'm not a PHP expert but I know how to modify them without errors  :D I have tried and I think the problem is not mine, because although re-upload the file battle.template.php without having any modifications, this is what happens. (attached image)
At first I thought the files were encrypted but if you tell me that I would know what to do to modify them easily.
regards!

Chen Zhen

Norvidge,

The files are not encrypted, they were created/edited using a proper PHP development editor/tool that inserts the proper type of line breaks. Try using Komodo or another editor designed specifically to develop the language of PHP (and set it as such).

The issue you are having is due to file size. The solution for you is to open the default file & the file on your server at the same time in your editor. Copy & paste the code from the default file (edit it if you wish at this point) onto the file located on your server via FTP and save the file.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Norvidge

in the notebook lines are disordered so I tested with komodo editor and now the file appears well structured, but when i save the problem persist :(

Chen Zhen

Norvidge,

Do not edit the code directly on the server and attempt to save it. Have the file open both on your pc/mac & the server at the same time. Edit the code within the file on your pc/mac (not the server) & when finished editing it, copy/paste the code directly from the pc/mac file to the server file in its entirety & save it on your server (ctrl-a or cmd-a to highlight all code).

Also note that it may be easier for you to have a local installation of SMF, your theme & this mod to test things prior to applying it on your site (ie. xampp).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Norvidge

finally I got, thank you very much. Now I want to know how to change the position of battle option in the main menu of my forum. Normally all options are in source/subs.php but battle is not there and i can't find it in the parse.
regards

Chen Zhen

Norvidge,

Most recent mods add to that array via a hook which is what this mod uses. Look in the BattleHooks.php file where the code you are looking for is in the function called battle_menu_buttons.  Change the word search to where you want it to appear (it will appear prior to whatever key you have it look for from that array).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Norvidge

Quote from: -Underdog- on January 12, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
Norvidge,

Most recent mods add to that array via a hook which is what this mod uses. Look in the BattleHooks.php file where the code you are looking for is in the function called battle_menu_buttons.  Change the word search to where you want it to appear (it will appear prior to whatever key you have it look for from that array).
thank you very much problem solved!

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: -Underdog- on January 10, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Norvidge,

The files are not encrypted, they were created/edited using a proper PHP development editor/tool that inserts the proper type of line breaks. Try using Komodo or another editor designed specifically to develop the language of PHP (and set it as such).

Hi man, this is the ONLY issue I have with your adjustments to the mod, but before I get to that, this version I like quite well and want to specifically point out the inner menu "Upgrade" option screen improvements, great job dude :) ...

You need to save your files so that the ever handy dandy Notepad.exe can open it with page/line breaks intact, never have any problems with SMF's core files, why should I have to go through and sort out where they go and save it so that I can make easy changes later, seriously...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Arantor

No, seriously, use a proper editor. I have no trouble opening the files here, because I'm using Notepad++ but any decent editor that understands there are other line endings will work.

SMF's files all use Unixoid line endings - like this mod does - but I suspect your FTP client 'fixes' them for you. Save yourself the hassle and use a proper tool for the job.

Burt

I just want to say Thank You to all the people here that took the time to re-polish this excellent little gem of a game....

I gave up on this Game-mod at version RC7-2 where too many bugs just made it impossible to play.

I just stumble across this thread again today and I was very happy to see what Underdog has done so far. So I downloaded 1.14 and imagine my surprise when upon starting the game I found again all the extra Monster and Quest that I did created back then, in version RC7-2. Obviously the DB still had the old stuff in it....

Never the less... Thank you Underdog (and everybody else who did help) for what you have done. My users will be more than happy to see this back on-line.

You just made my day... ;)
If you Sig. line is longer or higher than two line, you are just an attention seeker. Grow up!

NekoJonez

Each time I say something in the shoutbox, it makes me go to the home :(
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Mizari-

Underdog,

How do the evolution settings for the monsters work?
I've tried putting in random numbers from 0 to 1000, but there don't seem to be any changes when battling.
Also, can I find a list somewhere of all the possible effects for items or random events?

Chen Zhen

Mizari-,

There is a question mark to the left of each setting which displays help text. The help text best explains what the setting will do within the game.

The amount of times the enemy needs to be killed by users before a random stat is upgraded by 1 for the Monster.
(0 to disable, 1 to 1000 for the setting)

NekoJonez,

You are correct & thank you for the report. I will post a beta package to fix this issue for the time being. This will be implemented in the next release version.

Burt,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Chen Zhen

NekoJonez,

I have fixed this issue in the Battle v1.15-Beta1 release.
You can find beta releases for Battle at this link: http://webdevelop.comli.com/index.php?board=20.0
A newer release of Battle will not be posted on the SMF modification repository until other substantial development has been applied to it.

The above noted Beta1 release only includes this fix.

Regards.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

NekoJonez

Thanks a lot.

I have a question and a suggestion:

My question: How do I update to your beta without losing ANY data?
And my suggestion is: maybe this requires a lot of programming but... on my forum there are a few inactive members. I would love it if you could stop users from simply attacking the inactive members. Like, excluding members from the game.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Jeffrey King

How do I integrated this with pm!? Or can I?
Help appreciated!

Jeffrey

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Jeffrey King on February 01, 2014, 10:14:05 AM
How do I integrated this with pm!? Or can I?
Help appreciated!

Jeffrey

You need to be more specific, but Battle is already integrated into pm...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: