Pesky Drop Down Menus

Started by Lithriel, July 15, 2009, 09:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithriel

I recently upgraded to 2.0, but I really don't like the drop down menus.  How do I disable them and force all users to use the sidebar menus instead?

I know you can do this on  an individual level by going to your profile>look and layout, but I want the sidebars to be used always.

I have searched this forum without success, and I have been looking at the profile.template.php file and source files related to the profile, but I can't find where to edit or what to edit.

Reflection

You can do this through Member Options. ;)

Admin > Theme Settings > Member Options

Just choose your theme and alter the default settings.
Good "SMF" Portals
Tiny Portal [SMF 1.1.x only]
Simple Portal [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

Good "SMF" Theme Sites
SMF Themes [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]
Dziner Studio [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

Antechinus

Question: why would you want to force all members to use the sidebar menus? I mean if you want to use them that's fine, but it doesn't affect you as admin in any way if some members want to use the drop menus.

Lithriel

Because I am a firm believer in Jakob Nielsen's usability and accessibility views.  The menu was a navigational nightmare and caused pointless confusion.  Having the side menu links visible greatly reduces the time users need to find what they need. 

This goes much further than my "personal preference". 

Reflection

I actually prefer using drop-downs-- they provide better navigation as it sorts tasks into groups. ;)
Good "SMF" Portals
Tiny Portal [SMF 1.1.x only]
Simple Portal [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

Good "SMF" Theme Sites
SMF Themes [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]
Dziner Studio [SMF 1.1.x and 2.0]

Lithriel

So you prefer drop down menus.  That doesn't outweigh user testing scenarios on my forum.

If the drop down menus weren't the defaulted option then maybe it wouldn't be such an issue except that I don't want my users having to guess that the unnamed arrow somehow changes the menu without any indication of what it does.  In fact, I thought it was supposed to take me back, a rather redundant action considering the browser has a back button already.  All in all, it's a navigational nightmare and I'd rather go back to the much more effective menu they had before.

Advertisement: