News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

PM censorship?

Started by Padfoot, April 09, 2005, 08:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padfoot

Is there anyway of an Admin being able to check the content of user PM's?

I know there was a mod available for phpbb2 that did this.

Ben_S

No, is there any reason for wanting to read your members messages?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Padfoot

Ideally to stop groups co-ordinating to disrupt the forum, which has happend to other forums dealing with the same subject matter. To date 2 forums have had to close "for legal reasons".

Not a major issue as they were not particulary well run, and were quite lax in moderating the posts accordingly.

As i said i was aware that phpBB2 had this mod available, but its really not a big enough issue to make want to go back to phpbb!

Yonkey

Why not just ban those users? ???

SkyFlyer

I like this ability as well, It would be good to monitor trouble makers. I would rather not open up the mysql database and sift through PMs.

Amacythe

This has been discussed before.  More than once.  Thus far I don't think anyone is working to write a mod for this.  I still think a personal message is private.

SkyFlyer

Not when it has the possibility of putting other users or the forums in jeopardy.

Ben_S

Disable the PM system then....?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Thantos

Since I've seen this come up time and time again: http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=119

However you must inform your members when you install this mod.

Amacythe

SkyFlyer

Thank you. I will probably not use this mod, but it will be handy if necessary.

[Unknown]

This just always makes me think...

Would you want your mother/father reading your diary, going through your things, or etc.?  More importantly, if you were/are thirty years old, and one of your parents did this, how would you react?  I think most people I know wouldn't react well, and that's their parents.  It'd be worse with others.

-[Unknown]

Padfoot

How do i download this mod?

Every time i click on the zip file link i just a blank browser window?

Thantos

Guess you'll have to wait till it's "approved"

Padfoot

Ahhh, didn't realise it had to be approved before you could download it.

Sorry.

Trekkie101

Its approved now anyway, although I wouldnt have allowed it at all.

Padfoot

Tested it on test forum, appears to work absolutely fine.

Now uninstalled and being kept in reserve.
Hopefully will never need to use it in anger.

Thanks for the option though!

SkyFlyer

well right when I go to use it (turns out two users on my forum have been causing trouble, and I want to see if they were stupid enough to collab with each other through PMs), it will not work any more. My guess is that it had code that would remotely disable it if the mod was ever shelved (which it was).

Advertisement: