SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

robbie93

yep RC2 on a test site I will check it out when I have time thanks. when the forum is at 100% though the blocks make it really skinny heres an example  http://www.robbie93andhotchildxox.com/test/index.php?PHPSESSID=010b63024e66e90b8bcfef780549995d&action=arcade

I see most people are using just one side block with the curve,  I think one side blocks looks a little off balance and prefer to use two,  but as you can see with the curve design it looks odd.. although we are using simple portal on an RC2 test,  something maybe tp can improve on in there future release maybe,  if that is at all possible. 

If you look at a similar theme using SMF 1.1.11 here http://robbie93andhotchildxox.net/index.php?action=arcade

you can see why we have yet to ' upgrade' to SMF2 as it where...  we think that the SMF 1 version looks a lot better than the new curve version in RC2 ...  the curve is a better core theme if you don't use a portal,  when you use one you run into these probs...  we have been waiting for tp to come out for SMF2 in the hope that somehow they will fix this problem ,  if it is fixable,  and we prefer tp than sp,  but I don't think this problem is a portal problem more than a clash between the curve and the use of left and right blocks.

feline

For SMF 2.0, there are more than TinyPortal and SimplePortal.
And PortaMx is one of the portals, the specially assembled for the Curve Theme designed. Perhaps this is an alternative?

Fel

robbie93

Hi Fel,  thanks for your input, I will give PortaMx a try when I have time but at the moment we like TP the best and are awaiting there release so we can test it on RC2 and see if we still have the same problems as we have had with SP  :D but there is no rush atm as we are still using SMF 1 anyway,  thanks again.

rd

I like SP and I am running it in my forum.

I used TP and I didn't like it. I am planning on testing out eZ portal in my new website.

Kindred

hmmm... I use EZportal on a site with Curve and curve-based themes.
I think it looks fine.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

I think the results are quite interesting, I feel marketing ploy on SP now
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Snailx

i use and recomend adkportal xD so i say "other"

Arantor

You mean the one that hasn't even been approved on the SMF mod site yet?

(It was floating around before I quit the team last month.)

LC

adbrad

simple portal

never tried tinyportal but may give it a shot when it comes out for 2.0
mind dreamportal looks quite interesting

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

WillyP

This is really kind of pointless... It would be nice if someone could make a chart or something comparing the features of each, in an objective manner.

Kindred

instead of complaining about it, why don't you do just that? :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

WillyP

Ok, I will. I've only used Tiny Portal, though, so it might be a bit biased.  ;)

Sabre™

I also plan to test each of the portals available, and strip them all, taking the pros of each to make my own.
I will release the doc labelled the same as the name ... "Sabres Truly Original Literature Embracing Naturalism"
Or in short form, the  "S T O L E N" portal. :D lol ;)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Sharb8

www.MyTopicforums.com
www.youtube.com/nbtbcsharb8

willerby

SimplePortal. No hassle upgrades, Always latest SMF version availability, Great support.

And it can do just about anything you want it too out of the box. Best mod for SMF by a mile.
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Andy1122

Another one for .... Simple Portal   :)

It is way simplier to use.

Nitram

SimplePortal for me. Tinyportal doesn't compatible with 2.0 versions yet.

Arantor

Quote from: Nitram on April 09, 2010, 12:30:43 PM
SimplePortal for me. Tinyportal doesn't compatible with 2.0 versions yet.

TinyPortal 1.0b5 is out which is...

Advertisement: