SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

NanoSector

Adk Portal :)

It has a download system included, which I like. And it installs steamlessly with lots of other mods, unlike the other's.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

WillyP

Quote from: byproduct on December 30, 2010, 04:25:26 AM
sounds like just as good to close your eyes and pick,,, for the average person

There is certainly some validity to that, as there is no truly neutral source of comparison.  And even if there were, what really counts are the subjective qualities.  I suspect a list of features would show the portals are very similar. 

If you have the spare time, I would suggest setting up several test installations and install a different portal on each, see which one suits your needs best.

ishy

I vastly prefer SimplePortal. I had a lot of problems with TinyPortal integrating with other mods, and I don't think ADK Portal went far enough to integrate within the forum. I've never had any issues with SimplePortal, and it's easy to pop blocks in and rearrange them, and the number of options make it easy to do just about anything with it.

NanoSector

Quote from: lawnmowertech on January 13, 2011, 12:27:25 PM
I have a  forum  smf   that is   but i  used  the  default  theme  to  create a  new theme off that  here is the url    http://www.chainsawtractorforum.com    now there are some things i would like to add to this  some mods   but i  have the   2.3.3   simple portal  installed but im not got it  applied  yet  im waiting to see if  it just applies to the core theme   and if so how to get it  applied to the  theme im using   can someone help me on this   ?

thanks 
calvin
This is...not the right topic?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

netshaq

I use ezportal.com but I haven't tried sp or tp ..

1/17 uodate

I just installed sp on test site and 1 big difference
I like about sp is you are able to select no title / no body
so you don't get a boxed looking site
my sp test site
http://netshaq.com/sportal/index.php
ezportal test site
http://netshaq.com/portal/index.php

ty
steve

eyo

tried simple and ezportal, wasn't satisfied with both
looking at tinyportal it seems much more cms-like, but support in their site looks very confusing and cryptic
anyway most if not all portal software look the same no matter what you prefer.

simpleportal - looks great and simple, easy to use great support and lots of people sharing codes and what not
ezportal - great if you have vbgamers mods and want no problems with them,  also if you dont mind really blocky looking blocks with no chance of any extra bells and whistles
tinyportal seems to work in the middle of both, it has support for alot of vbgamers and other dev mods (but not all), highly customizable(if you can code and style)  and looks pretty in a no-nonsense, professional way.

I like simpleportal but it looks too much like it's for kids and gamers, tiny if you want to be taken more seriously :), ezportal well, if you want your mods to run since  he made both.

mrtarkhan

both are good but SP have good features that TP don't have and TP have good features that SP don't have !

but i like simy portal more  ;)  ;D
هر پرسش خردمند، نيمي از پاسخ را در خود دارد.((سليمان ابن گاويرول))

-=[Vyorel]=-

My mods for SMF - [6].

neoxes

Someone can explain me the differences between tiny and simple portal? Only articles system?

Fog

Stand Alone Feature Rocks and if you know how to create a page as your stand alone, you're steps ahead most forums.

kachan64

Out of Dream, ADK, Tiny and Simple I like Simple, because it's simply give you the best features and easy and simple to install.

hitsme

why don't i find simple portal by Administration Center » Package Manager » Download Packages browse Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site?

Kindred

Download it from the mid site directly instead of using the package server... It's more likely to succeed and gives you a backup copy of the mod on your computer, just in case.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hitsme

i downloaded sp & uploaded clicked install now till line/file 17 = TYPE= Execute Modification Description= Test successful after that  TYPE= Extract File Description= blank is that the way it should be? or something went wrong

Kindred

This is not really a support thread... But yes
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hitsme

Thanks
Quote from: Kindred on January 28, 2015, 11:09:00 PM
This is not really a support thread... But yes
i'm quite lost i got here through Google search, i wish there would be waze directing me on this forum that has so maany boards

Arantor

Well, from the page you downloaded SP from, there's a 'Support and comments for this mod' link which takes you directly to the dedicated thread on SP, plus there's simpleportal.net for more complex issues.

lady_l

I have used TP since 2007. I like it very much, but at present there is very limited documentation -- practically none -- on their website. It would be really helpful for people who recently upgraded. to have some explanation of new features and how to use them. The little documentation available is in an archive on their site and was written in 2006 for an early version of TP and some pages and links within it come up blank.  I hate posting basic questions on their forum, although they are usually really nice to me, but all the same those questions must bore the ****** out of the regulars and it seems a waste of time to answer over and over.

So very sadly, I must consider switching to another portal.
"And we're vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/we live this close to death"

lurkalot

Quote from: lady_l on April 12, 2015, 11:18:01 PM
I have used TP since 2007. I like it very much, but at present there is very limited documentation -- practically none -- on their website. It would be really helpful for people who recently upgraded. to have some explanation of new features and how to use them. The little documentation available is in an archive on their site and was written in 2006 for an early version of TP and some pages and links within it come up blank.  I hate posting basic questions on their forum, although they are usually really nice to me, but all the same those questions must bore the ****** out of the regulars and it seems a waste of time to answer over and over.

So very sadly, I must consider switching to another portal.

A bit late, sorry. but since taking over the project We're currently updating the documentation site for Tinyportal.  You can find it here,  http://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php

Ken.

Thanks for that lurkalot!

+1 ... Yes, check out our Docs pages, they get better and more relevant every day as we completely overhaul them!  8)

If you see anything amiss as you look them over please let us know.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Advertisement: