News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

TheListener

Way back in the depths of time...

Ok so it was april this year I looked at TP and ezportal and didn't get on with them like I do with sp.

Each portal will obviously have its pros and cons

Sabre™

Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Sabre™

interesting ...
I must've missed your handle while browsing the memberlists
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

TheListener

Like I said it was way back in the depths of time.

;D

Sabre™

Yep, although I've found members since 2004 etc..  mysteriously, there isn't one with your handle.
But Im pretty sure I have seen your handle elsewhere.
Say for TP for instance, can you privately or here, link me to one of your posts?

TheListener

Sabre™

Quote from: TheListener on September 27, 2009, 09:15:27 PM
Ok so it was april this year I looked at TP and ezportal and didn't get on with them like I do with sp.

Quote from: Sabre™ on September 27, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
....link me to one of your posts?

Quote from: TheListener on September 27, 2009, 09:38:20 PM
er no as there aint any that I am aware off.

Ok

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Bloc on September 27, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
Thats probably the least powerful feature of a "portal" IMHO, I always felt adding extra pages - and even extra whole functions - is the most desireable thing to add to a forum.

Thats why TinyPortal have always been focused more on "articles", which really is custom pages, reached through "index.php?page=mypage". They can be of PHP, HTML or BBC types and even external HTML or PHP pages located somewhere on the server.

It really gives you more to play with, without loosing touch of the community/forum of course.

Think of a portal(in this sense) as a mini-CMS, or Lighter "Joomla+SMF" if you like.

Yeah, custom pages are the real difference between single portal pages and what makes it a portal. I personally don't find articles appropriate for this use though. That's why SimplePortal has them separate as Custom Pages and Articles (still being worked on to be forum independent).

As for a few features which I believe makes SimplePortal unique; ~30 customizable blocks and BBC, HTML and PHP content type blocks; standalone mode; unlimited number of AJAX shoutboxes. I have to admit that Articles are not very useful at the moment but I'm sure that will be sorted out in next versions.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Antechinus

Why would you want an unlimited number of shoutboxes?

[SiNaN]

You could have different shoutboxes for different groups (teams?) or even different areas.
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Antechinus

bloc

Shoutboxes are, I'll admit, not the most focused thing in TP. Providing means of dressing up that shoutbox could be interesting. At this time they are pretty dull-looking.

The reason I bring up articles/pages is, that for me, I really enjoy using SMF lol. But I also enjoy making static pages. How about combining them..? Thats the source of TP actually, me wanting to put everything up based on SMF, if it was possible.

"Portals" , in the more traditional sense of the word, are sites that gather together people into a community, a central meeting point. So any software to claiming to do that, needs these functions - and more.

IchBin™

I hate shoutboxes... lol I've always felt they detract from the content. I've thought about Ajax'ing TP's shoutbox a few times in the past. I agree about the features mentioned for a Portal here. I was glad to see SP add custom pages.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Dustine1017

I am using TP at the moment and I've had associates say our website is the best- searching and best laid-out they've anytime seen, with a abundant aggregate of functionality and affluence of use. They may be biased but it's nice to apprehend anyway. So it doesn't depend on which aperture you use, but added on what you accept to do with it.

Antechinus

Well thanks for your input. :D Which version off TP are you using and what do you think is its best feature? :P

watchhorse

Is there already a demo of a portal with "Curve"???
Wij zoeken diergerelateerde fora ter overname.
Pb gerust als je geen tijd of zin meer hebt om uw forum te onderhouden.

Eliana Tamerin

Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Antechinus

Yep. Several portals will have Curve demos very soon. :)

HostDash

Simpleportal.

Just my general fav :)

I don't like TinyPortal or the TinyPortal community.

Advertisement: