News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

Arantor

bloc

Quote from: watchhorse on October 10, 2009, 11:08:10 AM
Is there already a demo of a portal with "Curve"???

Yes, it is. TinyPortal v1.0 beta 5 is currently in testing and it looks like this running on SMF 2.0 RC2:

http://demosites.tinyportal.net/index.php

Arantor

Very nice :) Doesn't like that the SM introductory post has no avatar but otherwise, looking sharp :)

Fussilet

Eliana Tamerin

Well, I updated my Curve site with the 2.3.1 beta. The patch should be out soon, but until then, feel free to see Curve + SP here: http://beta.devira.info/dev/index.php
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Jerry

nice, I've been waiting for the patch :) Really like using SimplePortal, but have been waiting out on using it again because of the patch.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

kai920

Quote from: Countess Tamerin on October 12, 2009, 08:47:53 AM
Well, I updated my Curve site with the 2.3.1 beta. The patch should be out soon, but until then, feel free to see Curve + SP here: http://beta.devira.info/dev/index.php

Very nice.

Sabre™

Quote from: Bloc on October 10, 2009, 06:21:59 PM
Quote from: watchhorse on October 10, 2009, 11:08:10 AM
Is there already a demo of a portal with "Curve"???

Yes, it is. TinyPortal v1.0 beta 5 is currently in testing and it looks like this running on SMF 2.0 RC2:

http://demosites.tinyportal.net/index.php

Very nice Bloc :)
I and many others cannot wait to get into it, and get everything over to smf2.
But as they say 'Patience is a virtue' ;)
Keep doing your thing brother, it is very much appreciated :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Eliana Tamerin

TP is looking better and better. It's come a long way from the old 0.8 releases I found several years ago. ;)

Download | Docs

bloc

Quote from: Countess Tamerin on October 13, 2009, 11:02:26 AM
TP is looking better and better. It's come a long way from the old 0.8 releases I found several years ago. ;)

Thanks. :) I always been slow on the development side of it, theme stuff have more been my interest field..but TP has slowly become useful in its own right. As many things, it started as a need for own site lmao.

And of course its great to see other portal mods emerge now, SimplePortal being the most prominent recently. ;D I remember a few others that have come and gone. The very first SP was quite another script i think? Then it was YAP a little while, and also MyIBPortal for SMF, which inspired me, but faded too soon. All these were mods, or working within SMF, which i always thought was the best approach.

goldsky

So guys,
A good installer always have a good uninstaller.
Which one is better?

I need to find better choice. The issue is I have many mods installed. I dropped my interest on eZPortal.

Minare

Quote from: goldsky on October 19, 2009, 03:02:05 PM
So guys,
A good installer always have a good uninstaller.
Which one is better?

I need to find better choice. The issue is I have many mods installed. I dropped my interest on eZPortal.

Whichever suits your needs.

SN50

Defiantly Simple Portal... It provides many more features!

Antechinus

roflmao. You obviously haven't looked at TP in detail. Whatever arguments you can make in favour of SP that is not one of them.

Kimmen

I have not tried out SP, but i just wanted to comment something, i read that there was a complaint about the TP staff being late to answer and that their answers was not helpful enough. Well, my experience is that TP does take care of its members and even if i have to wait for help, i still get it in the end. It always works out. Just wanted to compliment the staff on their work because i am really satisfied with them.

Greets
Kimmen

dimdom

You can not compare these two portals. Tiny Portal has options that Simple Portal hasnt (yet). I am talking about the CMS part of these portals that means articles.

I do like the modern and refreshing look of simple portal but I rely on the depth of functions and different configurations that TP provides.

I dont like that it is still beta and not compatible with the new SMF beta.

I dont like that you can not upgrade to the newest version through an easy way (talking about TP now).

As an overall I would like to have the TP machine with the look of SP.

And a big plus to SP for their beautiful shoutbox. :)

Eliana Tamerin

What options does TP have that you think prevents you from comparing?

It's not very productive to say that they can't be compared. You seem to be using the Apples vs Oranges defense here. Well, in that case: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=apples+oranges

Download | Docs

dimdom

QuoteI am talking about the CMS part of these portals that means articles.

Arantor

Advertisement: