SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

Nitram

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, but I stay with SimplePortal. ;)

Sabre™

Quote from: Arantor on April 09, 2010, 01:18:38 PM
TinyPortal 1.0b5 is out which is...

Ha! I didn't even know that myself.
While waiting for that release, I've been testing all of the others and it has been very interesting.
But as it goes, I've tried the rest, now I'll try the best!! :D
Thanks or the update Arantor lol
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Andy1122

Quote from: Nitram on April 09, 2010, 01:53:34 PM
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, but I stay with SimplePortal. ;)

Good choice ... stay with it.  I've tried a couple of the others but  will always go for SP anytime. It is way easier and also easy to customize than a lot of the rest (... no names mentioned) ;)

Succubus Evaligan

Simple Portal, because is very simple and easy for use. ;D
Yuri Goddess

Jakob Fel

I like SimplePortal over TinyPortal, but I like EzPortal over SimplePortal.
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Nitram

DreamPortal looks good too, but I will use SimplePortal always. :)

aggelioforos

I haven't used tiny portal unforunately

I am using only Simple Portal and I can tell you one thing.

Simple Portal Rocks! Very easy to use, much features that I needed and greek language support!

Thanks Simple Portal! :) :) :)

Jntg4

I like EzPortal, but have t move away from it as my next site is a forum host and EzPortal isn't allowed to be on any multiforums not run by vbgamer45.  I prefer TP, but am using SP for this one.
Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

Phoestre

SimplePortal rulez.. I used SP, TP, PortaMX and ezPortal. I must say from all those if you want something powerfull but yet fast(I had my fastest page loading experience with PortaMX) go for PortaMX. However the main feature I was in need of is provided by SimplePortal, the ability to add topics(as "articles") to mainpage. Not just a simple recent topics feature but the ability to add topics selectively. I think other features are mostly same in PortaMX and SimplePortal, feature was SimplePortal but stability and speed wise PortaMX I think.
To summarize: Simple Portal = PortaMX > Tiny Portal = ezPortal
I'm not sure about ADK portal so its better that I do not comment about it.

Althought, any moment that wordpress gets full integration support or a WP-like portal comes out, time for switch ;)

SMF 2.0RC3 + SimplePortal
Custom Theme + Latin5 Turkish
Ubuntu Lucid

feline

You have to wait for the next major release of PortaMx ...  ;D

Fel

bloc

Quote from: Phoestre on June 05, 2010, 01:40:51 PM
Althought, any moment that wordpress gets full integration support or a WP-like portal comes out, time for switch ;)

Out of curiosity - how will such a WP-like portal look like?

Phoestre

Quote from: feline on June 05, 2010, 01:52:55 PM
You have to wait for the next major release of PortaMx ...  ;D

Fel

You gonna make me switch the portals? I'm always open for new stuff lol.
If you put the article feature like in simple portal, it would be cool if you add the ability to cut the article at where you want(by putting a bbcode or something like that) so you don't get limited by the global char limit, some need a longer overview text some need shorter. Yeah I know thats not the feature requests board but I just wanted to let you know :)

Quote from: Bloc on June 05, 2010, 02:04:15 PM
Quote from: Phoestre on June 05, 2010, 01:40:51 PM

Out of curiosity - how will such a WP-like portal look like?

I was referring to a portal mod or script which would have an article system like wordpress but using SMF as the discussion place instead of comments and when you click "read the rest" button you go to the original topic, topics in forums may be sent to the portal homepage with a click etc.. The look of portal and forum don't need to match each other as I'm always up for some customization ;) Of course user databases and such stuff needs to be same, it just that you have a home page like wordpress's main page.

Ubuntu Lucid

feline

Quote from: Phoestre on June 06, 2010, 04:00:52 PM
If you put the article feature like in simple portal, it would be cool if you add the ability to cut the article at where you want(by putting a bbcode or something like that) so you don't get limited by the global char limit, some need a longer overview text some need shorter.
We will make a article/categorie system in which you can make html articles (with the html editor) and also any other article (BBC/Script/php). The articles can be ordered into categories. You can show articles or categories on request and you can articles and categories show on the frontpage in various formats. we have a perfect teaser to shorten any article, so we don't use a separate intro. Good enough for you?  :D

Fel

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: feline on June 06, 2010, 05:12:04 PM
Quote from: Phoestre on June 06, 2010, 04:00:52 PM
If you put the article feature like in simple portal, it would be cool if you add the ability to cut the article at where you want(by putting a bbcode or something like that) so you don't get limited by the global char limit, some need a longer overview text some need shorter.
We will make a article/categorie system in which you can make html articles (with the html editor) and also any other article (BBC/Script/php). The articles can be ordered into categories. You can show articles or categories on request and you can articles and categories show on the frontpage in various formats. we have a perfect teaser to shorten any article, so we don't use a separate intro. Good enough for you?  :D

Fel

FYI, SimplePortal's article system, currently, is driven off selected topics from the forum, not separate html/bbc/php articles. Our next version plans to introduce such a system, but without removing the forum-based articles, so users will have their choice of creating their own pages, or using an existing topic as an article. The standard categorization, comments, and portal blocks will be included, of course.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

feline

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on June 06, 2010, 08:02:56 PM
FYI, SimplePortal's article system, currently, is driven off selected topics from the forum, not separate html/bbc/php articles.
We do not talk about such mundane things as displaying a forum post on the frontpage, which is already possible today, and will develop further in the next version.
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin
Our next version plans to introduce such a system
One more part they are duplicated from Portamx?  ;D

Fel

Antechinus

Well, Porta doesn't actually have it yet and TP has had it for ages, as you would know since you worked on TP ;)

feline

I want to lead any discussion which portal has more or less functions, anyone can find out for themselves.

Fel

Kindred

for articles, I use EZPortal plus vbgamer's SMF Articles mod....  :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Phoestre

Wow what a nice discussion I just flamed lol.

Ubuntu Lucid

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: feline on June 07, 2010, 05:23:04 AM
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on June 06, 2010, 08:02:56 PM
FYI, SimplePortal's article system, currently, is driven off selected topics from the forum, not separate html/bbc/php articles.
We do not talk about such mundane things as displaying a forum post on the frontpage, which is already possible today, and will develop further in the next version.

Perhaps it is mundane, though our users seem to like it.

Quote from: feline on June 07, 2010, 05:23:04 AM
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin
Our next version plans to introduce such a system
One more part they are duplicated from Portamx?  ;D

Fel

One more feature request that's been on the books since SimplePortal 2.0 was released. Which, I believe, was long before PortaMX was.

Semantics, anyways. Thanks for your concern, though.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Advertisement: