SimplePortal vs TinyPortal - Which do you PREFER?

Started by Douggy, July 29, 2009, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

SimplePortal
226 (48.7%)
TinyPortal
135 (29.1%)
Other/Neither
103 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 452

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: lurkalot on October 25, 2015, 09:17:13 AM
Quote from: lady_l on April 12, 2015, 11:18:01 PM
I have used TP since 2007. I like it very much, but at present there is very limited documentation -- practically none -- on their website. It would be really helpful for people who recently upgraded. to have some explanation of new features and how to use them. The little documentation available is in an archive on their site and was written in 2006 for an early version of TP and some pages and links within it come up blank.  I hate posting basic questions on their forum, although they are usually really nice to me, but all the same those questions must bore the ****** out of the regulars and it seems a waste of time to answer over and over.

So very sadly, I must consider switching to another portal.

A bit late, sorry. but since taking over the project We're currently updating the documentation site for Tinyportal.  You can find it here,  http://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php

Congrats on the recent release of TP1.1. Glad to see the old dog still in the game. ;)
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

lurkalot

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 31, 2015, 05:17:43 PM

Congrats on the recent release of TP1.1. Glad to see the old dog still in the game. ;)

Thanks.  Yes the "old dog" is still very much in the game, and getting better by the day. ;)

Ken.

We are working on TinyPortal every day, trying to make it even easier to use, and easier to find your way through all the options and features and TP has lots of features! And don't forget that our TinyPortal Docs are getting a complete rebuild and include lots of images to make the Docs topics even easier to understand.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

njtweb

mirzasuga

njtweb

Anybody got a demo link or site to reference for Simple portal and tiny portal? The images provided on the mods site don't provide any detail of what to expect after install.

Thanks

lurkalot

Quote from: njtweb on December 03, 2015, 06:28:25 PM
Anybody got a demo link or site to reference for Simple portal and tiny portal? The images provided on the mods site don't provide any detail of what to expect after install.

Thanks

Take a look in my signature for a couple of sites using. Tinyportal

Shambles

mirzasuga

Quote from: njtweb on December 03, 2015, 06:28:25 PM

Thanks
This is using tinyportal hxxp://www.chikan.pl

njtweb

I'm now using tinyportal. After putting some time into figuring it all out, I find it's cleaner looking and the chat is better than all of them.

Ken.

My site has been running TinyPortal for over 9 years now, loved it from the very start, still do.  8)

Our FamilyForum
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

forumside

I think TinyPortal is much more professionally done then other portals for SMF.
You can easy compare yourself:
SimplePortal - more then 50 places to modify in source code in 15 different files! Click on parse mod to see:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104

TinyPortal - 10 replaces in 6 files only! Click on parse mod to see:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=97

As more changes is harder to update and support it for long time with other mods!

Antechinus

Well you can argue the merits of the coding in other ways too. The bottom line is that both work, very well, for a lot of people on a lot of sites, and often with a lot of mods. It comes down to personal preference.

forumside

Quote from: Antechinus on June 06, 2016, 05:14:03 PM
Well you can argue the merits of the coding in other ways too. The bottom line is that both work, very well, for a lot of people on a lot of sites, and often with a lot of mods. It comes down to personal preference.

The point is how much time need
1. to learn how to use
2. time to install
3. time to update to new version
4. time to integrate with other mods

Time cost money - so this not just personal preference - it is exact measure.

Antechinus

Oh dear. This is getting serious.

1/ Some people find SP much easier to learn to use than TP. Personally I found TP easy enough, but I'm not everyone. Different minds work in different ways.
2/ It's the same installation process for either package. No real difference, except in edge cases (humungous numbers of mods or whatever).
3/ Ditto.
4/ Ditto.

Kindred

personally, I like EZPortal and find that one the easiest to use. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Gotta say PortaMx is an awesome piece of kit too. I've used that before and liked it a lot. It's like TP on steroids, if you want that sort of thing.

forumside

Quote from: Antechinus on June 06, 2016, 06:59:57 PM
Oh dear. This is getting serious.

1/ Some people find SP much easier to learn to use than TP. Personally I found TP easy enough, but I'm not everyone. Different minds work in different ways.
2/ It's the same installation process for either package. No real difference, except in edge cases (humungous numbers of mods or whatever).
3/ Ditto.
4/ Ditto.

Regarding for simple cases I agree with you it same easy story just to click on install button and thats all....
I am speaking about more complicated cases when you need to spent time on development and struggling with bugs and server problems....
Then you will understand the difference....

Antechinus

Oh I understand the difference alright. You're talking to someone who rewrote half of TP for a custom installation. Most people don't do that though. For most people any of the popular portals will be fine, and they can just select the one they prefer.

Advertisement: