News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Error installing mods

Started by swtdivalove, August 02, 2009, 01:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swtdivalove

I've tried it every which way from Sunday, it's an absolute no go.

If I upload it to the Packages directory, I have no link to "APPLY".  If I upload it through the Package Manager, it just sits there loading.

Norv

sqtdivalove: can you please tell what version of SMF are you using?
Also, please make sure you are using this patch: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_1.0.18_1.1.10-2.0-RC1.2.zip
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

swtdivalove

SMF 2.0 RC1.2

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL  http://xxx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=Ventrilo_Status_1.0.zip
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: fwrite() [<a href='function.fwrite'>function.fwrite</a>]: send of 63 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/wartornmettle/public_html/Sources/Class-Package.php
Line: 768

Those are the errors that I'm getting, and it doesn't matter what I'm downloading and installing.

Let me addon... This is a fresh/clean install.

I believe there is an issue in this file:  Class-Package.php

Here's line 768:
fwrite($this->connection, 'SITE CHMOD ' . decoct($chmod) . ' ' . $ftp_file . "\r\n");

swtdivalove

I'm wondering something... During the install process, you enter your FTP information.  Could it be that it's chmod'ing the files with an incorrect user?  Then when you try to install a mod or update, the files that are being written to have the wrong ownership?

Norv

Please note that I have split the topic, as it is a different issue than the initial thread.
It sounds like a server configuration issue, to me.

Can you please make sure you upload manually, with your FTP client, the mod package to your ./Packages directory, in case you weren't already, and use "apply mod" from Admin > Packages?

Please also check who is the owner of the package uploaded in ./Packages, as well as of the ./Packages folder itself, also what permissions do they have set. (though I would have expect a different error if this was related to permissions, but please make sure it's okay)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

swtdivalove

I've tried both ways... Through Package Manager and manual upload.

If I upload manually, when I go to the Package Manager, the only thing I am able to do is "LIST FILES" and "DELETE".  There is no "APPLY".

If I upload through Package Manager, I get "APPLY" and "LIST FILES".  If I click "APPLY" here, it just stalls out and continues sitting there.

I've had this server for a long while, as it is my own and it sits right next to my desktop.  I've had SMF 1.1.7 running on it and it had been working fine.

Norv

Quote from: swtdivalove on August 02, 2009, 02:18:03 PM
If I upload manually, when I go to the Package Manager, the only thing I am able to do is "LIST FILES" and "DELETE".  There is no "APPLY".

This sounds like the mod is installed already. Perhaps trying to uninstall it will at least show what is wrong with its installation. (it should first list the files it tests uninstalling on)

swtdivalove

That's just it, it never installs.  It just hangs.

Norv

Can you please provide a link to the mod?

Also, what are the permissions on ./Packages and the .zip files in it? Though it's unlikely your "broken pipe" error is related to it.

Also, please make a phpinfo file and eventually post a link to it. ( What is phpinfo.php? )

swtdivalove

Norv... I'm not a newbie.

It doesn't matter WHAT mod I try to install, and the permissions were checked, double checked, triple checked, quadruple checked many times over.

http://www.wartornmettle.info/php.info.php

I installed 1.1.10 because I was having too many issues with 2.0 RC1.2.

However, I do not believe that I am the only one having these issues, as I'm noticing.

If it's not related to the "broken pipe" what else could it be since the server has been hosting the sites without issue till I installed 2.0 RC1.2 and with the "Package Manager"?????

Norv

Sorry for not making myself clear: I meant that I don't see how the error about broken pipe would be related to permissions (if permissions don't allow writing for the PHP process, for example, then it should fail before, SMF does check permissions and should complain about the files or folders not being writable. Though I've seen a few exceptions on RC1.2 indeed)
Instead, it seems clear this error about communication ("broken pipe") prevents the proper mod installation.
But as to why the error happens, I'm not sure. I'd try looking at a few variables of the configuration, like timeouts or download size. Is there any error happening before complaining about "broken pipe"?

And I know you are not a newbie, but please allow a little more details sometimes, as many people may search for these support threads for similar problems and they should be able to eventually follow them. (as best as possible)

swtdivalove

As soon as I click on apply, it just hangs there.  No errors or anything, not until I check the forum error logs do I see anything about what the issue is.  However, no matter what mod/patch I install, it is always the same file and the same line number.

swtdivalove

I know that my FTP and Web server are running fine, as I am hosting and able to connect to the FTP without issue.

Norv

Can you please check the webserver's error log as well, and post here the errors you may find, if any?

swtdivalove

[Sun Aug 02 09:51:14 2009] [error] [client 192.168.1.2] script '/home/wartornmettle/public_html/index.php' not found or unable to stat, referer: http://www.wartornmettle.info/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=smf_patch_1.0.18_1.1.10-2.0-RC1.2.zip

That's when I tried to update with the patch you suggested.

That's the only error that I could find.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Chmod to 755 recursively.

Check all the files are chmoded correctly. The one within the directories aswell. You might have changed the permissions of only the files shown on that particular page. There is a possibility that the problem is caused by that.

Give it a try.
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?
How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

swtdivalove

Did that too!  Still did the same tthing.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Does your host support .zip files? Ask them. A long shot, but maybe that. Also look for .xml support.

swtdivalove

My host, since it's my web server, uses every type of compression... gzip, bz2, tar, zip, rar and any other. :)  Made sure when I installed Apache & PHP.

swtdivalove

Advertisement: