News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

If SMF is hacked

Started by Lunny, August 04, 2009, 06:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunny

What can the hacker get?

My board was recently hacked (got it solved in the Install and Upgrade board) and i was told by the hacker (on MSN) that he didn't want to but he could take everything away from me from the hacked smf forum. Hosting account, credit card info (lol?) all databases etc.

Is this even possible? He only hacked into one of my admins accounts and did very little damage to the forum.

What should we be aware of if our SMF board is hacked?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Normally, through SMF the hacker would not have access to anything but your users profile info (incl. e-mails) and all posted content on the forum.

BUT, if hacked - there is always a risk of the hacker gaining access to other parts of your hosting account as well, and that way he could get access to your own hosting account info and anything you have on your server.

This all depends on how you were hacked though, and what the hacker originally used to gain access.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: