News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Does banning even work?

Started by die4me, August 04, 2009, 07:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: john pedro on August 09, 2009, 06:16:45 AM
Changing IP and proxy is one way....... but its ILLEGAL :P never go for it... but still its a good idea for evil minds  :D

No it's not. I can change my IP address simply by unplugging the router from the phone line and reconnecting it and I'll get a new IP address.

Using a proxy is not illegal, though it may be against the terms and conditions of the site you're using it on, but in general, it's not illegal. (I am not a lawyer however)

anunlike

Quote from: Arantor on August 06, 2009, 02:17:09 PMThe real approach is Post Moderation, IMO.

I'd agree, especially considering the new post moderation.

thischarmingmanc

depedns what you want ti to do.

I have seen a ban spilt a forums community righ down the midfdle and seen, the forums owners livelihood threatened.

Ok he dealt with the whole thingvery badly, and banned anyone he thought taked to the person he banned, and then banned anyone who registered for the website which was set up by the banned people.

Intresting days, ill probably bump into him this weekend.

untobyte

Normally it's useless, but I've a such sentence in my registration rules:

If you get banned, do not create another account, because we can understand that. If you apologize, and promise to not do whatever you did before, your ban will be gone.

A little childish, but works for my forum, and is better than having users lying about their identities because they were banned and stuff. The "we can see that" part is a lie, we can't because the IP's change constantly, they're not static (or was it the other one?) At least in Turkey, this is so.

1MileCrash

Quote from: untobyte on August 17, 2009, 08:49:38 PM
Normally it's useless, but I've a such sentence in my registration rules:

If you get banned, do not create another account, because we can understand that. If you apologize, and promise to not do whatever you did before, your ban will be gone.

A little childish, but works for my forum, and is better than having users lying about their identities because they were banned and stuff. The "we can see that" part is a lie, we can't because the IP's change constantly, they're not static (or was it the other one?) At least in Turkey, this is so.

I'd change it to:

If you get banned, do not create another account, because we will know. If you apologize, and promise to not do whatever you did before, your ban will be gone.

I'm not sure if english is not your first language, but to say "we can understand that" implies that you are sympathetic with the situation. Kind of sends mixed signals.
The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

Advertisement: