Topic needs moderator approval before viewing

Started by Rohan_, August 07, 2009, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rohan_

is it possible that if a normal user post a topic in my selected board then the topic needs moderator approval before showing in messageindex
Proud To Be An Indian

codenaught

Are you willing to upgrade your forum to SMF 2.0?

SMF 2.0 has post moderation by default.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Like your request about reported posts (yes, i forgot to mention this earlier), this is a 2.0 feature.

I'm not sure if a mod for this exists for 1.1.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

i am using 1.1.10

and not only post approvals ... i also wants new topic approvals
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Marcus Forsberg

codenaught

I realise you are using 1.1, so does that mean you are not willing to upgrade to 2.0 (for one reason or another)?

SMF 2.0 allows for post moderation for both new topics, and replies made to topics. You could have it for just replies or new topics (or both) if you wanted to.
Dev Consultant

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Rohan_

i dont wanna any additional problems . so i dont wanna update . i am happy with 1.1.10 . and i have alot of mods and my custom edited themes that does not supprt 2.0 . so if i upgrate to 2.0 then i am finished .. so please find a way to do this in 1.1.10 ..

i cant believe that this feature is not available in 1.1.x series
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: LexArma on August 07, 2009, 01:30:52 PM
It is a fine idea, but I don't believe anyone has made a mod like that. So perhaps you should post a mod request?

Mod Requests

;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

Proud To Be An Indian

codenaught

Sorry you feel that way.

One of the problems is the sheer work needed to make the mod. I recall seeing a vast amount of changes made to 2.0 when post moderation was being added. It's a big mod, a lot of changes are needed. Chances are a lot of bugs would need to be fixed, and a lot of potential issues with security, and thus only a really experienced coder would be able to effectively make such a mod.

But as 2.0 matures, I think fewer people are willing to back-pedal to 1.1 and do so much exciting things to it at this point.

While you may desire to stay at SMF 1.1, I hope you reconsider at some point, such as when 2.0 final comes out. 2.0 has a good number of enhancements and new features such as post moderation, and you might miss out on a lot of exciting mods that the mod developer will not want to spend the time making available for 1.1. The decision is up to you, I guess I just find it a shame when people don't seem too open to the idea of upgrading in due time. Perhaps when more themes and mods are made compatible with 2.0 you would reconsider?
Dev Consultant

Arantor

The only way I could see this being implemented for 1.1 is for someone to backport the code, and for that to be done as a paid job. I cannot see anyone implementing this workload into 1.1 for free, and even if they did, I suspect you'd still have trouble with your custom theme and heavy modded site because it's hard enough to integrate into the base SMF setup.

Rohan_

so why dont you delete 1.1.10 from this site ? u say in future no one gonna make mods and themes for 1.1.x .... so is the people mad out there who installing 1.1.10 :( in download page write in big font that  u cannot get 1.1.x series latest mods and themes because mod makers only makes for 2.0 ...

anyways sorry if i wrote anything bad but i just feeling bad because a lot of people comes and start 100+ SPam topics in a day and they only posts in the most popular board so i want whenever someone post there then the topic needs my or any moderator approval before showing to public
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No one can say for sure if mods and themes for 1.1 will still be coming, but the odds are that people will slowly start to only support 2.0 when it is released.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

ok so tell me .. if i upgrade can i get my forum same as now ? or i got corrupted or problems as everyone gets
Proud To Be An Indian

Rohan_

see my forum www.nonstopfunzone.com and tell me can i get it as it is now after upgrading ???
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Rohan_ on August 08, 2009, 02:00:37 AM
ok so tell me .. if i upgrade can i get my forum same as now ? or i got corrupted or problems as everyone gets
Not everyone gets problems. I've upgraded a forum with 1 million+ posts with no problems myself.

Quote from: Rohan_ on August 08, 2009, 02:05:25 AM
see my forum www.nonstopfunzone.com and tell me can i get it as it is now after upgrading ???
Your possible problems would include losing mods and themes, all mods would be lost - themes would be likely not to function correctly.
Always a risk in running anything against the database though, so a backup of everything before even trying is a good thing.
Also you should make sure the backups you make are correct and working.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

but i have edited my files a lot and there is a lot of mods installed manually and my themes is also fully edited its not as original its fully changed .. there is a lot of things i cannot live without them .. i think its not gonna success .. its not worth to take a big risk for this 1 function
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Honestly, I agree - with the theme and mods you have, I would personally at least wait until 2.0 is final, so you would really have a reason to do all needed edits again - without fear of breaking them later on (when 2.0 is updated before going final. )
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

i think a mod for this approval function will be good for me and a lot of people out there ..

because if i want i can do everything again i know basic . but not every person can do this again alteast 50% or maybe more people dont knows how to take backups and restore them , how to use FTP , how to download files , how to find something in a php file and more .. and manual editing ehh i dont think people can do this ...

so a mod will do good
Proud To Be An Indian

Arantor

A mod may well be good, but it is a huge piece of work to engineer - it was hard enough writing it the first time around for SMF 2. And since it is in SMF 2, I doubt many will want to backport it to 1.1 - but I'm sure if someone is brave enough to do so it'll get on the mod site.

You might have more luck if you can get a group together to raise a cash incentive for the individual(s) who decide to take on this job.

Rohan_

i think All the smf users need that option . that is a must needed feature
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

SMF has survived a number of years without it being available.

There's even a template to work from in building said mod, being 2.0 core. But you have to find someone who has the time, energy and skill to port it to 1.1 and it's a HUGE job. I do not see this happening without being a paid request, especially considering that it's available in 2.0.

Rohan_

:( the spammers spam daily and its a headache to sit and delete them .. is there any option that a user must have x posts for start a topic in a board
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You have many ways to deal with spammer. Mods, permissions, captcha.
You could install for example Anti Spam to prevent certain membergroups from posting links,
Stop Spammer to stop known spammers from registering, you could also use the highest captcha level, and install Visual verification options to add captcha to functions that don't have it yet.

And you could do it so, that the lowest post count group simply doesn't have permissions to post in more than one or two boards of your choosing, simply by using the permission system inside SMF :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Membergroups
Permissions

Permissions by membergroup

You would need to set your permissions so that the newbie group does not have permissions to post at all, and then set
local rules to the boards you want to allow them to post to.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Rohan_

the thing i want is . i still want to show the new topic button for newbies but when they click on it they will see you need x posts to post a new topic in this board
Proud To Be An Indian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That would also require a mod or manual editing...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ivnj

Well then I guess its time to upgrade to 2.0.  But the download page still says RC1.2.  When will be 2.0  be finalized.  Any rough ideas?

Arantor

It will be finalised when it's ready. RC2 is due this month, RC3 not so long thereafter.

Advertisement: