News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Why no WordPress / SMF bridge or portal?

Started by jerseyjoe, August 08, 2009, 08:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjoe

Is there some unique technical issue? It seem strange to me that this superb forum package and the equally excellent WordPress have not been put together using a portal. In fact that is hardly mentioned in this thread.

Can someone explain that?

青山 素子

It's not a technical issue, it's mostly a licensing issue due to how the GPL is intrepreted by the WP developers.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Liam.

It's not a licensing issue, there have been Bridges and there are but they're outdated which is the only problem. If you're using SMF 1.1.X, the current bridges (at wordpress.com) do work with it.

redone

There are issues in the license agreements as both Wordpress and SMF do have different licenses. This is along the lines of the Joomla situation too. However there are plug-ins available at the Wordpress site itself such as the one below that will allow you to use Wordpress and SMF 2.0 together.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-smf-bridge/

DEK24

has anyone installed this if so what do you think?

rbutters

I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone use it, or has anyone seen it work? I don't want to kill my site. =)

city_gal

Quote from: rbutters on September 10, 2009, 03:18:50 PM
I'm curious about this as well. Does anyone use it, or has anyone seen it work? I don't want to kill my site. =)

My thoughts exactly! I've already killed my site once and to have that again?... no thanks! ;)

Dudelsack

Quote from: DEK24 on August 18, 2009, 10:23:33 AM
has anyone installed this if so what do you think?
I had it installed, but it didn't work, it seems that it uses the SMF API, which only works for SMF 1.x and not for SMF 2.x
This bug is known by the developer, but it never has been updated.

So, the above mentioned bridge does not work, and it's the only bridge which should work with SMF 2.X - all the other bridges I found are only for SMF 1.x
I guess many bridging issues could be solved by a SMF API for SMF 2.x
sorry for my bad english

Kindred

SMF 2.0 has integration hooks built in rather than using an external API design...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

Quote from: Dudelsack on September 13, 2009, 04:24:37 PM
I had it installed, but it didn't work, it seems that it uses the SMF API, which only works for SMF 1.x and not for SMF 2.x
This bug is known by the developer, but it never has been updated.

So, the above mentioned bridge does not work, and it's the only bridge which should work with SMF 2.X - all the other bridges I found are only for SMF 1.x
I guess many bridging issues could be solved by a SMF API for SMF 2.x

According to the developer, the plugin was only developed for 2.0: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/256859
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

sammyboy405

I Sure would love to see a WP > SMF > WP  Bridge 

Or even OpenID - Support for SMF.   

If you have OpenID / Facebook / Twitter / MySpace / Google / LiveID    then it would almost be seamless not totally but pretty close.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: