[Free] Facebook style chat

Started by Ampix0, August 08, 2009, 08:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ampix0

The idea just randomly popped into my head and i thought well that would be cool. I hate Facebook myself, but their chat type system would be excellent

A bar placed at the bottom of the screen (scrolls with you) with Forum chat and Private chat

Now as for the private chat I'm thinking having an "online" list just like facebook/myspace and you double click their name to open the chat.

This could honestly be very complex or simple and still be great.

it should be AJAX though.

Anyone think they would be up to it? i can't code it myself but i can do graphics for it

Arantor

This has been requested before, several times, but never developed.

Though there are several shoutboxes, it's widely noted that if people are chatting, they're not posting.

Ampix0

Yes well i have noticed that but problem is. i have 200 members. and only 5 active ones. maybe a chat box would keep them entertained enough to stay.

Arantor

It might, but I'm not sure they'd actually post.

Ampix0

Well i need to find SOMETHING to keep them here lol. I cant figure out what to do. I'm thinking about getting some of those advanced profile mods (which in conjunction with this would be excellent)

If tinyportal worked on my version of SMF i think it would enhance my site a lot too

Arantor

You might want to have a read of the Building Your Community board - plenty of suggestions in there. The underlying thing is to give them something a little different.

If they're chatting, they're not posting, and if they're not posting, the thoughts will likely be lost in the deluge of chat.

char39

Quote from: Arantor on August 08, 2009, 08:49:25 PM
Though there are several shoutboxes, it's widely noted that if people are chatting, they're not posting.

I don't agree with this, or at least not on my forum.  Have almost 3000 members and there are a lot who come to the forum to use the chat feature, but also because they are there they post.

I send out twice yearly surveys to my members to see what they like and don't like and what works, etc.  I know it sounds cheesy but it makes them feel a part of the decision making and that they have a voice. 

Arantor

It's true for some forums, not for all, and all the discussions in the Building Your Forum board seem to disagree on that point. But if it works for your forum, please do stick with it.

Liam.

Actually there is a very good forum that I know of that never used to have a chat, but as soon as the chat system was up one day (5000+ members already), the members count whooped up to 5500, the current most online was broken, and there were more posts than ever. But that was only because the site was active before the chat got brought in...

I agree with this mod request, and private chat would be awesome (I use HackParks ShoutBox at the moment).

Faevilangel

I am available for theme work, pm me for info

.LORD.

Quote from: Faevilangel on August 11, 2009, 05:58:18 PM
http://anantgarg.com/2009/05/13/gmail-facebook-style-jquery-chat/

how about that ? should be easy to integrate

It isn't difficult, but not achieved soon.

I have finished to integrate it for SMF 1, but unfortunately this chat has a couple of "problems", would can be annoying in real use.

The author has dedicated to continue development the cometchat (this chat is pay) and has stopped anantgarg.

Solving these problems would be on our own, but considering the work that has to dedicate, I'd rather start a new chat. I still haven't decided, perhaps I resume it the next week.

PowerB

Just a question, how Do you intergrate it. I tried puting it in my code but I kept getting errors  :'(

Help please?

Xavi-Nena

this would be AWESOME! anyone out there working on something like this for smf or willing to?

massillon

Arantor

massillon

That sucks...  this would help me out in my back and forth SMF vs other software smack-talk rants on other sites.

Plus it would be awesome for my site!

~DS~

"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

dry3210

Quote from: katers on August 09, 2009, 08:09:14 PM
Quote from: Arantor on August 08, 2009, 08:49:25 PM

I don't agree with this, or at least not on my forum.  Have almost 3000 members and there are a lot who come to the forum to use the chat feature, but also because they are there they post.

I send out twice yearly surveys to my members to see what they like and don't like and what works, etc.  I know it sounds cheesy but it makes them feel a part of the decision making and that they have a voice. 

Agreed.  My members come on to post but stay on all day to use the shoutbox.  As people post they jump in and post to then go back to the shoutbox.  This keeps people on which means posts get replied to quicker also.

Advertisement: