News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help with Akismet mod

Started by shadowravenhawk, August 09, 2009, 09:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowravenhawk

I already did all the manual page changes for akismet. I changed the 3 pages (Display, subs-post, MessageIndex) back to akismet that I changed when I put in stop spammer and it is saying that test failed on these pages plus on display.template, post, and SSI. It is saying there is an error in Messageindex like there was when the stop spammer was installed. It didn't do this before I had this page changed in there for 2 days. I changed Display, subs-post, MessageIndex. removing the akismet, and it is now working. It is as though the stop spammer is stil linstalled.

Arantor

I'm really confused what state your forum is actually in with regards to mods, to be honest. I have to admit I cannot follow the state of events or what state the files are actually in.

You may be better just backing everything up, and starting from a fresh set of files, then adding the mods you want.

Alternatively if you took a backup before playing with Stop Spammer that might help to restore that.

shadowravenhawk

How do I get the stop spammer out? I saved the files and they were working fine on akismet a week or so ago

Arantor

If you saved the files a week ago and Akismet was working fine, just use that backup to overwrite the files.

shadowravenhawk

I did. I have to get the stop spammer out

Arantor

So you've uploaded your backup over the top of the old files? It won't necessarily change the installed list - but we'll deal with that separately.

Did you set your FTP program to 'overwrite'?

shadowravenhawk

Yes, these are the files that I changed to akismet and they worked fine. This isn't the issue, or at least I don't think. I need to get the stop spammer out. This is what happened when I first installed stop spamer

If I click delete mod list under installed packages will it delete the ad mod also?

Arantor

Delete mod will delete the mod's file, it will not uninstall or touch any of the other files.

It will not affect Ad Management in any way.

shadowravenhawk

Will this take care of the stop spammer problem?

Arantor

No, it won't. All it will do is remove the entry from the install page. It won't change any code.

shadowravenhawk

so how do I fix this problem and get akismet back in?

Arantor

Restore the backup you have, ensuring you overwrite the files when you upload it.

shadowravenhawk

yes but it is the same file that I had in there before that worked

Arantor

I'm now incredibly confused.

Your backup is the file you had before installing Stop Spammer, right? What's stopping you using that to overwrite the files in your installation which would remove the modifications made by Stop Spammer's installation?

The mod will likely still say it is installed even though that would STOP it being installed.

shadowravenhawk

Right these files I had installed with akismet working. Then I installed stop spammer and had to change 3 files display, subs-post, and messageIndex. The guy responded to this post telling how to fix akismet's slow post problem. I want to put it back in. I tried to delete stop spammer but it is still listed in installed packages. I put the original pages back in and tired to install akismet but it won;'t work

Arantor

Did you attempt to 'delete' or 'uninstall'? The two are very different.

But if you revert to your backup, you will uninstall it - even though it will say it is still installed.

shadowravenhawk

How do I change the akismet.php page in the mod for the new one? I deleted the mod from installed and now the ad mod is showing failed test but the ad are still running

Arantor

Did you delete it or uninstall it? The two are quite different and do different things to the files.

Either way: have the old one installed, then upload the Akismet.class.php file from the attachment over the top of the one you already had.

shadowravenhawk

Should I install it even though it say test failed on several pages? The ad mod too? How do I upload this page for the one that is already in there?

Advertisement: