Help with Akismet mod

Started by shadowravenhawk, August 09, 2009, 09:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowravenhawk

I followed all the instructions and made all the page changes for the Akismet spam mod but it still isn't working. I am running SMF 1.1.5 and the Alien Nation theme. I have attached the files. I would appreciate any help on this. Or is there a better mod that works on SMF1.1.5 without page changes

Arantor

First of all, SMF should have been updated to 1.1.10 due to security issues.

You would also have been better asking in the mod's own support topic.

shadowravenhawk

I replied on that forum over 2 months ago and no one has replied. If I change to 1.1.10 do I have more page changes to make?

Arantor

Not sure, it really depends on your theme.

shadowravenhawk

I'm using the Alien Nation theme and I had to make all kinds of page changes to get it to work on SMF 1.1.5

Arantor

The problem is that you're very likely to find you need similar modifications to make it work on 1.1.10 unless you were to step through the patches from 1.1.5 through each successive version (6, 7, 8, 9 and finally 1.1.10) which may be less awkward.

The only edits required though are the ones indicated in the mod's page, you shouldn't need to edit all of the files you've attached.

shadowravenhawk

The mod's instructions said to edit all those pages.

Arantor

The complete list of files edited is:

./index.php
./Sources/Subs-Post.php
./Sources/Post.php
./Sources/Subs.php
./Sources/Display.php
./Sources/Recent.php
./SSI.php
./Sources/MessageIndex.php
./Sources/Profile.php
./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
./Themes/default/index.template.php
./Themes/default/Display.template.php

And for the last three, you only modify those if you don't have a matching file in your theme's directory. So if your theme has Display.template.php, you don't modify default/Display.template.php.

shadowravenhawk

My alien nation theme has those files. Do I change the default ones back to what they were?

Arantor

You can do if you like - basically, if a theme has files, it overrides the default theme so any edits need to be made to your theme's files, not to the default ones, if that makes sense.

That, I suspect, is part of the problem - did you add it to the theme files, or the default ones?

shadowravenhawk

These two pages
./Themes/default/index.template.php
./Themes/default/Display.template.php
were already in the alien nation theme I just changed the lang.mod.english.php in the alien theme and it did nothing. Do I need to change this page in the default theme back to what it was?

Arantor

index.template.php and Display.template.php in your theme will replace the contents of default/index.template.php and default/Display.template.php. If you haven't modified those two files, you will not see the mod at work on your site at all.

shadowravenhawk

They have been modified on both themes. Do I need to take the changes off the default theme?

Arantor

You don't have to touch the default theme files if you don't want to - just if you do later remove the mod it's twice the work.

shadowravenhawk

okay, so how do I get it to work?

Arantor

So you've made all the edits, including to your custom theme, and it doesn't do anything visible?

shadowravenhawk

Arantor

Can we have an account for testing purposes?

shadowravenhawk

Yes, you can register for testing purposes

Arantor

Curious, very curious. The post I gave it should have been flagged as spam.

Have all the edits been carried out as per the parsing instructions? (I haven't had chance to go through every file there and check yet)

Advertisement: