News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to create Scheduled Tasks in SMF 2.0

Started by Arantor, August 09, 2009, 03:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaine

Removed my last question and asking it in a better way :)

How should you handle if it your scheduled tasks errors?   I'm logging errors using log_error(); and returning false from the Scheduled task function but the interface still happily reports that the task completed successfully, even when logging a critical error.

I'm getting the errors in the error log, which is good, but I was expecting to see that interface warn me that the manual run failed.

emanuele

Hi Zaine,

it's the first time for me looking into scheduled tasks, but as far as I can understand from the code it seems that if the scheduled function returns false the task should not be logged:
Code (from ScheduledTasks.php lines 124-129) Select
// Do the task...
$completed = call_user_func('scheduled_' . $row['task']);

// Log that we did it ;)
if ($completed)
{

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

DanCarroll

Here's a tip for anyone looking to run a task on a given day of the month such as the first.

Just schedule your task as a daily and do a check at the beginning to see if it is the first and then decide what code to run.

Iomega0318

Can this be used to run a link, I have a cron job I would like SMF to handle and was wanting to schedule it for once a week. However the cron job has a link for it, and before you ask, my server won't let me run cron jobs normally..
UOFreeshards.net
UOFreeshards.net 2.1 Aplha Test Site
"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun...
not because I see it but because by it I see everything else."
C.S. Lewis

Heed what I say, for it shall be mentioned only once.

live627

No. No way other than the code shown in the OP.

emanuele

fetch_web_data? :P

Of course I mean create a function that call fetch_web_data.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Acans

Very useful tutorial. Perfect for updating my member count across multiple shared forums :) (Instead of pressing that damn recount button everyday :P)
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

live627

DieGoO

I managed to create a scheduled task, but it seems like it isn't running automatically, or  at least, it doesn't show on the task log..

But if i run it manually it does show on the task log..

Did i miss something?

Arantor

DieGoO

Nevermind  :P .. After reading through the topic again, i figured out why it wasn't working..

live627

Arantor

You realise that the IT Crowd was practically a documentary rather than a comedy, right? ;)

live627

4Kstore

Sorry for the bump, but I need to ask for save some time, there is no hook actually for this? SMF 2.0?
I read something http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=510873.0

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

live627

Arantor

I wrote this years ago. Off the top of my head there is no hook in 2.0, the one in 2.1 is not ideal IMO.

4Kstore

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

PopUpSteve

Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

pirma

Very helpful article. Perfect for upgrading my new member count number across numerous contributed message boards.

Advertisement: