Show unread posts since last visit.

Started by MrCue, April 05, 2004, 11:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Duggan

So what if you've collapsed categories to keep your board view tidy but still rely on the unread feature?

szinski

Just trying to come up with an idea that would allow users to "unsubscribe" from a particular category or board when viewing unread posts since last visit.  :-\

NoRad

Brilliant. This would be nice since I have some forums for gamers, some for music lovers, etc... The non-gamers might not want to be bothered with new posts in a gaming area...

adamspt2

I'm having the same issue. I've read several posts and I think I'm missing a piece. So if someone would care to comment if I'm actually getting this...

It's based off sessions - meaning you're on the site, you close your browser without signing off, someone posts something - that post is not? going to show up as 'new post since last visit'? So the solution is either only use the 'show all unread posts' or always log out prior to closing the browser? Is that right?

[Unknown]

Not at all.  Every time you visit the forum, for the first time - that's a visit.  Whether you log in or log off has absolutely nothing to do with anything, and doesn't matter one bit.

It is based on sessions, yes.  I'm not sure you know exactly what that means, programming wise - but no one would expect you to, nor do you need to.  Suffice it to say that if you visit the forum, any posts made AFTER your visit, *EVEN WHILE YOU ARE BROWSING/READING/POSTING*, are counted toward your NEXT visit, but will also show on THIS visit.  Here's a more visual example:

--- You registered here.
Post #1
Post #2 <-- you read this one.
Post #3
--- Your last visit...
Post #4
Post #5
---- Here's you visiting again!
Post #6

If you were to click on "view unread posts since last visit", posts #4, 5, and 6 would show up.  Posts 1 and 2 would not, since they are before your last visit.  If, then, you were to close your browser windows, restart your computer, and then come back... only post #6 would be shown.

This behavior would not change in any way if you logged out before closing your browseres, and then logged in again.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

I still get requests to be able to show all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, day ...

HRM

Maybe you just want the read ALL new messages since last visit.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=unread;all

This one does it fo me.
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

Tam

Quote from: Radianation on April 15, 2005, 07:56:19 PM
I still get requests to be able to show all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, day ...

I have to admit I really love how Snitz handle the active topics. It will group the new posts by forumsections, you can choose how far back you want to display new/recent topics etc. See screenshot below. This is the only part I really miss in SMF.

NoRad

Read through this whole thread and you'll see that this is something I already requested and thanks to [unknown] I was able to implement it nicely in SMF without trouble. However, the all new posts in the past 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, etc... is nowhere near the same as the "all unread posts" feature, and while this has already been suggested it just doesn't do the job.

The show posts since last visit and show all unread posts feature is becomming less useful by the day on our forum. There are just too many forums and too many topics for everyone to read them all, so the show all unread posts lists DAYS upon DAYS of topics. Maybe somebody just wants to see what's new in the last hour? =)

HRM

there's nothing wrong with this mod . One only needs to understand the way it works and interpretates a visit.
At first I didn't got the point and when I finally got it I was still not happy until I saw the "Unread All" option and that seemed to be the one that I was looking for all the time :D

And I was all happy! But I have to admit, there has been a lot of my forum members that i had to mention it cause they were not seing it.

So then I made i direkt link to that on the the portal and the complaining stopped.

It's a great function!
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

Advertisement: