Child board posts not being counted

Started by BigDaddyDiesel, August 13, 2009, 11:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddyDiesel

I will try that.  Thank you  VERY much!!!

Arantor

Did this solve your problem?

If not, after the time when you selected it to be counted, did you use forum maintenance / recount all post counts?

BigDaddyDiesel

I have tried all of that an none of it helped with the mods, I am thinking that I need to manaually fix every error in the file_check utlity results and start from there.

Arantor

That would likely help with a lot of things. Let us know how it goes.

BigDaddyDiesel

I will do that, I realized how important some of those little teaks can help when fixing my verification image from the registration page.  So I will let you know.

Arantor

BigDaddyDiesel

I am still going through them, this is odd too, almost EVERY one of the PHP files in the SMF directory had the exact same error, they were ALL errors as a result of having an extra space or line after the ending ?>, I do not understand how this could be either.  I had over 1000 of these errors and have not worked through them all even now.  Granted, I am not able to work on them all day every day, but I have spent about 3 hours a day working on them with no real changes in the site.  Hopefully there is one left in the files I have not fixed yet that will help with this and other issues.

I will let you know.

Arantor

Please do let us know - and if that doesn't fix things, we'll take another look over everything.

BigDaddyDiesel

Well, I paid sawz to check things out about why the mods were not installing and apparently I had not performed the installs correctly. 

BUT, with the permissions as they should be throughout, it is still not counting the child boards in the totals for the parent boards.  I will ask sawz if he has seen anything in there while checking that may have caused this. 

On a side note, sawz did an excellent quick job helping with my mods and chat room installations.  However, we are both kind of stumped about something that happened last night, and if I need to go to Tufat to ask about this please let me know.  Here is the thing, chat was working fine, and with only 10 people in the chat room, the site was shut down temporarily for five minutes on two different occasions as a result of what the server called too much server use.  They said that the site was sending over 600 script requests in less than five minutes.  As a safety feature it shut the site down automatically to protect the server, anyone ever run into this before?   The host said to check the script, but did not elaborate, so I am stuck again...

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to update you all and get some guidance if I can...

Norv

The chat mod might be set to refresh too often, please check how many times you set it at?
Also, it might indeed be a good idea to take the issue to its developers, because they might have seen the issue and know what is an expected load and what is not.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

BigDaddyDiesel

Thanks Norv!  I will see what I can do to double check those issues. 

BigDaddyDiesel

Update, that is what the host said as well, so anyone have an idea while I am on here with this, how often would be good for refreshing the chat?  If it WAS every second, or so, maybe every 5-10 seconds instead?

Arantor

5-10 seconds is usually fine - remember every user you have online will be refreshing every 5-10 seconds too, so on lower-end hosts, a chat is usually unviable.

BigDaddyDiesel

Any suggestions for higher end hosts?  This current host was suggested to me, but I have no problem at all changing, I am e3ven up to considering setting up a server, I don't care, but I am new enough that I do not know who is and who is not reputable and worth their salt...

Thank you!!!

Norv

Please check out the Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services board. It has reviews as well, and generally people share experiences about hosts.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, I apologize for not looking first.... Thank You Very Much!!!

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, I changed that server setting and now the chat room is down not allowing log ins... DANGIT!!!

Tyrsson

Quote from: BigDaddyDiesel on September 09, 2009, 09:09:47 PM
Ok, I changed that server setting and now the chat room is down not allowing log ins... DANGIT!!!
Exactly which setting did you change?
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Advertisement: