News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

What to download.

Started by Sir Drunken Guy, August 21, 2009, 11:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Drunken Guy

So I picked SMF 2 rather than 1 but there are three things what to pick.

Plz answer soon and thx.
Simpsonise Forum Liftoff:
Check it out.

Sir Drunken Guy

Check it out.

Arantor

You want the Full Install package. The .zip, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files are just different ways of packaging the files for convenience for some users.

Grab http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-rc1-2_install.zip and then follow Installing SMF

Sir Drunken Guy

Check it out.

TheDisturbedOne

Marking as Solved.  If you need further assistance, you can make a new topic, or click on "Topic Not Solved" in the bottom right hand corner of this page, and reply to this topic. :)

Sir Drunken Guy

Sorry, I'm a bit embrassed asking this, but do you need a host and domain to setup a SMF forum. Because atm all I've got is a free WordPress blog. Is there any way of getting it free?
Check it out.

Norv

Please check out the Hosts, Hosting and Commercial Services board, you will find free hosts for SMF as well as payed hosts, also reviews and opinions about them. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Acans

Quote from: Sir Drunken Guy on August 22, 2009, 05:28:09 AM
Sorry, I'm a bit embrassed asking this, but do you need a host and domain to setup a SMF forum. Because atm all I've got is a free WordPress blog. Is there any way of getting it free?

Yes, however their are lots of free hosts out their. However you need to make shore they meet the
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Sir Drunken Guy

Thanks guys. That should solve my prob. Marked as solved as I can easily unmark it.
Check it out.

Acans

Quote from: Sir Drunken Guy on August 22, 2009, 11:01:46 AM
Thanks guys. That should solve my prob. Marked as solved as I can easily unmark it.

Is seems you forgot to marked it as solved, so I've done it for you ;)
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Sir Drunken Guy

You haven't either.

Unfortunatly I am still stuck. I am sorry that I seem like a 3yo at this but what to do next and is this the right board to continue. I joined Ueuo and there's another thing attached PHPMyAdmin. Do I copy one of the documents I downloaded into somewhere for a base etc.

Thanks a lot.
Check it out.

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Sir Drunken Guy

Check it out.

Sir Drunken Guy

I am logging off now, but will try some more tommorow. Thx.
Check it out.

Sir Drunken Guy

Ok. I am in the SMF Installer stage. I am stuck on Step 2. What to put in the boxes.

I put "localhost" for Server
"21" for Port
"Owner" for username, do I use my Ueuo or any.
Password: Do I use Ueuo or any. Also would something like "etc" do?
Install Path: /home/vhosts/simpsoniseforum.ueuo.com (that's what SMF reccomended but it doesn't seem to work)

I'm getting "530 Login error" and "550 /home/vhosts/simpsoniseforum.ueuo.com don't work one".

I have read this http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=4 but it doesn't seem to help.
Check it out.

Acans

Step 2.

From memory this is FTP details right?

If so normally you can leave the first box "localhost" as localhost

Username is your FTP username. For most hosts its the username you use to get into the cpanel unless you made addional FTP account.

Password, agian unless you have made an addional FTP account try your password you use to get into your cpanel.

Path, now people get stuck here sometimes, this is how many directorys intell you get to your forum files, eg www.domain.com/forum would probaly be /public_html/forum

www.myforum.com would problaby be /public_html/ without the /forum since www.myforum.com doesn't have it.

Some hosts also might put stuff like /home/yourftpusername/ in frount of /public_html/forum

In that case just delete it so its /public_html/forum

And in even more cases (Sign...) some hosts could not have a public html folder at all, they could have renamed it "yourfiles" as i've found on some hosts, so the path would have had to be /yourfiles/forum

Tell us how it goes.

Sir Drunken Guy

So "530 Login" is fixed. I use the username "simpsoniseforum.ueuo.com" and my FPT password not my main password. However I still can't fix "Error 550", it doesn't say what it is I don't think. And it suggests something and then says that it's wrong.
Check it out.

Sir Drunken Guy

Right, sorry for double posting but I'm through Step 2, turns out I needed to leave the box blank.

I typed in the same kinda stuff on Step 3 but not working.
Check it out.

Acans

ueuo.com, got my own as well.

Now when you make the database on ueuo, the database name is in numbers, in your cpanel look for it, it will be 6 digits.

first box will have localhost in it, try it, if it doesnt work try ueuo.com

second box, database name: 6 digit number

3rd, database password: password you used for step 2

4th. database username: 6 digit number (same as database name) (4th might be 3rd and 3rd might be 4th, sorry)

5th, database pre-fex: what ever you want, recommend you leave as SMF

Sir Drunken Guy

I tried 345290 (my 6digits) but this came up again.

When I try "localhost" Access denied for user '345290'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

And when I try "ueuo.com" Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111
Check it out.

Advertisement: