News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Avatars sometimes load then disappear

Started by jamescormack, August 24, 2009, 10:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamescormack

Hi guys,

Just another issue on my site economicate.org . For me at least, the avatars displayed in people's posts and avatars sometimes disappear shortly after loading; other times they remain visible.

I am using Google Chrome, in case that may be causing it.

I had a quick look around but couldn't find a fix for this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James

Norv

What version of SMF do you have?
Please take a look here, just to be sure: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=313201.0
and run the tool attached to it on your forum. Please report the results here.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

jamescormack

Quote from: Norv on August 24, 2009, 10:24:09 AM
What version of SMF do you have?
Please take a look here, just to be sure: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=313201.0
and run the tool attached to it on your forum. Please report the results here.

Okay, will do, brb.

(I first installed 1.1.10, then updated to RC1.2, but am currently emulating RC1.1 for a few packages.)

jamescormack

Norv

Okay. Then, can you please try shortly with another browser, see if it happens? Google Chrome is reported to have some bugs.
Also, is there anything in your forum error log?
And, please tell what you mean by "avatars sometimes disappear shortly after loading"?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

jamescormack

Quote from: Norv on August 24, 2009, 10:45:13 AM
Okay. Then, can you please try shortly with another browser, see if it happens? Google Chrome is reported to have some bugs.
Also, is there anything in your forum error log?
And, please tell what you mean by "avatars sometimes disappear shortly after loading"?

Hi Norv. My internet explorer was failing on me so I installed firefox and had a go.

Currently it looks to be fine on firefox: I would put this down as a google chrome error.

By "avatars sometimes disappear shortly after loading" I mean the following:
- Click to open a thread
- The whole page renders, including the avatars to the left of the forum posts
- Once the avatars have fully appeared, sometimes they will remain in place, as normal. But other times, they will 'disappear', and any text and images intended to be below the avatar (such as the "view profile" and "email" buttons) shift up into its place.

There is nothing in my error log relating to this issue.

I will be sure to post here if I find this error occurs in firefox; otherwise, I would consider this a google chrome issue.

Thanks very much for the assistance.

Arantor

Which version of Google Chrome were you using? I use Chrome as my main browser and haven't encountered this.

jamescormack

Quote from: Arantor on August 24, 2009, 11:33:49 AM
Which version of Google Chrome were you using? I use Chrome as my main browser and haven't encountered this.

Hi Arantor, I appear to be/have been using 2.0.172.43 .

My site is http://economicate.org ; you could visit I suppose and see if you experience this? I'm wondering if it's unique to the theme I'm using - "Headline"

Norv

Actually it may be very relevant to know if you are experiencing the issue on the default theme.

sarahnev

I'm having the same issue. I'm using the same version of Chrome, and SMF 1.1.10 with a modified Classic theme.

sublimeCAT

i've got the same problem in my forum and some members who use chrome also have it.
the problem remained even after I updated the forum to the RC 2.1 and after upgrading to chrome beta...
[nofollow]

Norv

Please, if you have these symptoms, make sure first of all that you do run the tool provided here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=313201.0

sublimeCAT

Quote from: Norv on September 17, 2009, 11:06:26 AM
Please, if you have these symptoms, make sure first of all that you do run the tool provided here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=313201.0

Hi,

I just ran that tool and my forum was clean of infections.
[nofollow]

Norv

Can you please give a little more details on the problem, like when does it appear, is there something relating the users that have it, do the same avatars "appear" again?

sublimeCAT

It's like jamescormack described, they load and then they just disapear...
It's a random thing, for each thread you open, random user avatars disappear, usualy 3 or 4 per page.

For instante, I open thread "A" and for example the avatars from users "X", "Y" and "Z" disappear. And then I open thread "B" and those missing avatars may load and other user avatars disappear.
It's just random...
[nofollow]

Norv

Can you please provide a link to your site and a test account (simple member account with the right to read threads), for us eventually to see the problem?

sublimeCAT

sure!

My forum is at this url: slacker******.eu/forums/
(the word filter edited my url, it's slackerb_tch with an "i")

You can use this account:
username: SMF
password: pass1234

Thank you for your help
[nofollow]

sublimeCAT

I just noticed that this only happens when in the avatars settings for external avatars the option "resize it with javascript" is activated.

Right now i chose the setting "let the HTML resize it" and it's fine, but it seems it's an itsy bitsy slower to load the pages.
[nofollow]

sarahnev

Arantor

Advertisement: