News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Converting vBulletin 3.8.3 over to SMF stable version

Started by jackdelamare, August 25, 2009, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackdelamare

Just need a bit of help really.

I've been reading the tutorial and it seems quite simple, but I just wanted to double check something:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=15

One part says:
QuoteNote: The converter will not work unless SMF has access to the database that the forum you're converting from is on. For best results, you should install SMF on the same database as the forum you're converting from. If this is not possible, you will need to make sure that the database user account being used for SMF has access to the other forum's database. If you are not sure how to do this, please ask on the forum and someone should be able to assist you.

Now I didn't intend to use the same database as I wanted to still keep my other forum available and... I just wanted a fresh database to work with. So how do I go about making sure it has access to it? If this is a hard job, then should I just create a new user on the same database, and then make sure it can access it? How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Jack
www.delamarepro.com

www.jurassicparkiv.org     www.wewantiv.com     www.jurassicparkiv.com     www.jurassicparkiv.co.uk

ThorstenE

If your host has cPanel you can add the SMF database user to vBulletin database.  If your host does not have cPanel you can contact them with regards on how to accomplish this. As well as a last resort, what you can do is install SMF in the same database as vBulletin. Both use different table prefixes by default (all SMF tables start with smf_ by default).

jackdelamare

I do have CPanel - so do you mean I can create a user and then add it to the database that vBulletin uses? And it won't change anything on the vB one?

EDIT: I got the above sorted but now I have this problem:

QuoteNotice: Undefined variable: to_prefix in /home/delamare/public_html/forums/convert.php on line 1821
Unsuccessful!
This query:

REPLACE INTO settings (variable, value)
    VALUES ('conversion_time', 1251279449),
    ('conversion_from', 'vbulletin37_to_smf.sql');

Caused the error:

No database selected

Please help!  :)
www.delamarepro.com

www.jurassicparkiv.org     www.wewantiv.com     www.jurassicparkiv.com     www.jurassicparkiv.co.uk

ThorstenE

Don't care about this error, only a minor bug in convert.php (which is fixed in our SVN).. the conversion has already finished.

jackdelamare

Ok everything worked! It seems to have converted everything, usergroups, avatars, signatures, what appears to me most if not all the PMs and of course all the boards and posts. It's worked perfectly. Now I begin the customisation - and double checking of course. Thanks for your help.

Just wondering, what's that file where instead of the current header of the forum, it get's replaced by your own image?
www.delamarepro.com

jackdelamare

One problem I'm having is with the PMs. It successfully converted them alright, but for some reason it's given me 52 pages of PMs... but the PMs only go from pages 1-26. So I have loads of empty pages.

Any ideas?
www.delamarepro.com

ThorstenE

mhh, can you please start the forum maintenance "find and fix any errors"..
Forum Maintenance
maybe that helps?

jackdelamare

It's ok, I managed to solve it by just putting the new messages to page 1 and it's been fixed. I'll set this topic as solved.

Thanks for your help!
www.delamarepro.com

Advertisement: