Mod for registering automatically large emails without having to register them 1

Started by ne-yola, August 26, 2009, 05:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Please have patience; we're all volunteers here and this is not something that is commonly in use. I could give it to you right now but it'll break your forum because it's not finished yet.

ne-yola

Arantor

My weekend was busy - and I'm still trying to thrash the bugs out on this.

ne-yola

Quote from: ne-yola on August 29, 2009, 10:56:14 AM
Hello,

I hope u haven't 4gotten

am waiting for the script

this script http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=211606.0 was working fine but did not send email
maybe u could modify it

let the name be email and let it assign a default password to the users

they should be emailed on registration for activation of their email address

thanks

did u go thru these scripts, i have tested it and it works fine, it just needs to be tweaked to send email for each registered user and to use email as both email and username

Rgds

Arantor

I found plenty of scripts - I don't think I hit that one though.

The fundamental problem is most hosts will fall over on being hit with 3000 emails to send, so it has to have a scheduler to not to everything in one large go, which is what's giving me trouble.

Just registering 3k users is easy - and there are plenty of scripts. But none of them email users, because of the above issue.

Arantor

ne-yola

Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2009, 01:32:07 PM
As ever, when it's done. It'll be before RC2 though.

sorry what is RC2

are u turning it into a Mod?

i just want to know cus of the time constraint..

Arantor

RC2 will be the next SMF version, due this summer.

I am not turning it into a mod, no point in doing so.

Please remember we are all volunteers here and as such things end up taking as long as they take. If I give you the script now it will likely either fail, and/or have your forum server flagged as a spam relay.

Arantor

I'm sorry I haven't been able to do this quicker. This essentially is backporting a large amount of code from 2.0 to make it work and not have your server flagged as spam.

You could do it quicker by using the script you already found, registering, then using the newsletter feature to get them to come and change the password.

ne-yola

Hw do i use the newsletter feature to get them to change their pasword, especially when they aren't the only registered user on the site
hw do i locate the newly registered ones t send them an email

Arantor

You didn't tell me that, fortunately it doesn't change the script at all.

My original suggestion was that you'd just use the newsletter feature to send an email to the new members with a 'welcome' message and in that tell them how to log on and change their password.

There isn't a way to locate all the new members though.

ne-yola

well,

I was thinking if it could place these new members on awaiting activation list

i could take it u from there

Arantor

If you're going to do that you may as well just use one of the existing scripts with a tweak.

ne-yola

can u help me with that pls... Is there a script available that would do just dat..

Then i can select manuallty the no of reminder msgs to be sent per hour

Arantor

Pick a script you like the look of and seems to work well, and I'll show you how to change it.

ne-yola

I am fine with this script.. The little mods i would hav loved was if it took email as both Username and email and it generated a random paswd for each user..

but if dat would cause props i might just stick with the a,b,c  csv format

heres the link http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=211606.0

Advertisement: