Installing SMF with vBulletin

Started by Bose321, August 28, 2009, 04:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bose321

Hi,
My license for vB ended, so I had to delete it from my website, I still have the database.
Can I install SMF without vB installed? If so, how?
Excuse me for asking strange questions, I'm new here. Be kind on me.  :)

babjusi

Quote from: Bose321 on August 28, 2009, 04:08:10 PM
Hi,
My license for vB ended, so I had to delete it from my website, I still have the database.
Can I install SMF without vB installed? If so, how?
Excuse me for asking strange questions, I'm new here. Be kind on me.  :)

Welcome to Smf. Yes, you can convert to Smf provided you have a copy of your vb forum''s database. For more info on the subject, please have a look here.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=4.0;sort=subject

Bose321

But that's only when you have other software installed?

Also, when I try to install SMF, I get 'Access denied for user 'xxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Changed xxx for security reasons.

I am sure the password and username are correct, because I can log in PHPmyadmin with them, and see the vB database.
I'm getting really confused and stressed  :(

ThorstenE

Bose321

Sorry to bother you, but can you tell me what to do step by step? Because I hear and see alot of different things, and I don't really know what to do anymore.  :-X

ThorstenE

Which version from vBulletin was previously installed? I can modify the converter for database only conversion but need to know your vBulletin version first.

Bose321

ThorstenE

ok, attached is a modified version from vbulletin37_to_smf.sql (should also work with vBulletin 3.8.x).

Bose321

Okay, so step by step, what do I do? I've uplaoded SMF already.
What files do I put, and where?

Also, when I try to install SMF, it says my sql user is denied, im using the correct pass.

ThorstenE

Quote from: Bose321 on August 31, 2009, 04:09:53 PM
Also, when I try to install SMF, it says my sql user is denied, im using the correct pass.
is the name of the database right? (you can specify the name during installation).
Installing SMF
Converting to SMF

Bose321

Can't still seem to do it, I upload SMF, upload the converter and the SQL file, and then run the cover.php.

I am sure I select the right pass and username, because I can see the vB files in the PHPmyadmin.

The database password you entered was incorrect. Please make sure you are using the right password (for the SMF user!) and try it again. If in doubt, use the password from Settings.php in the SMF installation. is what I get

When I try to install SMF, I get this:
Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.
Access denied for user 'xxx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

ThorstenE

Are you sure the database name was right? You can see the name from your database in phpMyAdmin too (on the left side).

Bose321

That's the name with (number) behind it, right?
If so, then yes.

ThorstenE

see screenshot, my example database name is "smfdev"..

Bose321

ThorstenE

the name of your database is "md126355db79323"..

Bose321

ThorstenE

have you installed SMF in the same database? or do you got the "access denied" error during installation?

Bose321

I'm getting it during the installation.

ThorstenE

Sorry, but I don't know how to solve this issue .. I believe you should contact your host.

Advertisement: