banning proxy servers

Started by replay, August 30, 2009, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w1z8it

I just noticed this thread right after I posted my own, you might wanna check this out:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=334295.0

DroneBL does all the work for you, all you have to do is script the ip checks and do a lookup from DroneBL, it's amazingly good I tried MANY proxies on a site that uses it and couldn't get in with any.

Arantor

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll look at integrating that too (it'll be quicker than finishing the list of proxies from this thread, researching their IPs etc)

replay

cheers guys! i could do with this as fast as you can mae it!.....i am running 1.1.10

Cheers

Yahmez

http://dnsbl.tornevall.org/

VB has a mod that uses this site to find out and block proxy users

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96318

LW

Any update on this? I'm pretty desperate for a way to ban proxy servers.

Arantor

Problem with banning proxy servers is that invariably every one you ban, another 5 will spring up. They change daily so it's almost impossible to ban them all.

What type of user are you having trouble with - human pains or bot spammers?

homer09001

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't a lot of proxy sites load the requested address into a frame?

If so is it not possible to check and block it?

Although thinking about it you could be blocking innocent frames couldn't you?

Arantor

Some do, some don't. Any check for being in a frame can only be done on the browser side, and it isn't usually that hard to prevent; some proxies already have the ability to scan the Javascript and edit out such things.

LW

I'm having problems with human pains. People who have been banned from my site for egregious violations of our terms of services who continue to come back using proxy servers.

Arantor

Proxies are like grey hairs, you deal with one and get two more, which is why I never finished this mod up; at best I was estimating 50-60% success rate.

There are two routes I can think of that might help. Firstly, post moderation; it would allow you and your moderators to screen the first few posts of new users and either allow them to become visible once approved, or be deleted before becoming public. You could even have it so that it's only granted when you're satisfied with them. (2.0 only, though)

Second is a mod I wrote, which I need to get back on the mod site, that 'annoys' the user. Again, 2.0 only, it allows you to pick a user who is being a problem and have a variety of things happen to them, such as a white screen, or 'server busy' errors amongst other things. Since it looks like the standard forum error there's no reason to assume it could ever be directed at them.

infyquest

I too want that mod. if u need help on this i wanna join in the effort

Arantor

infyquest: What mod? There is no mod, nor any real practical and effective way to ban proxies. The only viable solutions are the ones I outline above.

Yahmez

It may not be a SMF mod, but VBulletin has a anti-proxy mod. It is possible evidently, and even if it cannot stop 100% of proxies from entering your site, stopping the majority would be a great mod.

Arantor

Possible, yes, but at best I was hearing 50% successful detection, with a LOT of false positives. Don't know about you, but I'd rather have less people accused of using proxies when they aren't.

Yahmez

I just realized there is a mod that does this... although it is not updated for 2.0 RC2 yet.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1127

MH-MINI

Quote from: Arantor on November 08, 2009, 01:00:06 PM
Second is a mod I wrote, which I need to get back on the mod site, that 'annoys' the user. Again, 2.0 only, it allows you to pick a user who is being a problem and have a variety of things happen to them, such as a white screen, or 'server busy' errors amongst other things. Since it looks like the standard forum error there's no reason to assume it could ever be directed at them.
Sorry for bumping this old topic, but how do you do this?

Thanks

Arantor

MH-MINI

Okay thanks I'll check it out :)

Advertisement: