Package manager can't install a mod (fresh install 2.0 RC 1.2)

Started by imrich, August 31, 2009, 06:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

I agree that you shouldn't have to keep creating a temp directory but, in the meantime, if you only want to do it once, this mod will keep it from being deleted:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=724

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

imrich

Quote from: gbsothere on September 07, 2009, 09:23:52 AM
I agree that you shouldn't have to keep creating a temp directory but, in the meantime, if you only want to do it once, this mod will keep it from being deleted:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=724

Does this mod mean that this is a known problem to be solved in the next RC or release?

Thanks for your help.
Rich

update: This mod does not appear to support 2.0 RC 1.2. So I can't install it now.

gbsothere

Quote from: imrich on September 08, 2009, 01:30:08 PM
Does this mod mean that this is a known problem to be solved in the next RC or release?

Thanks for your help.
Rich

Well... the mod was also made compatible for 1.x because, every once in a while, complicated permissions issues have forced 1.x users to have to create a temp folder but there are some known issues in RC1.2 that I am told have been fixed for the 2.0 release. 

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

imrich

Quote from: gbsothere on September 08, 2009, 01:34:45 PM
Quote from: imrich on September 08, 2009, 01:30:08 PM

Thanks for your help.
Rich

Well... the mod was also made compatible for 1.x because, every once in a while, complicated permissions issues have forced 1.x users to have to create a temp folder but there are some known issues in RC1.2 that I am told have been fixed for the 2.0 release. 

However this mod doesn't appear to support 2.0 RC 1.2, is there an update coming for this? Or Must I install it manually/

Arantor

You can install it manually, however the Package Manager is slightly more advanced in 2.0.

From the Browse Packages screen, in the bottom right corner is the word 'Advanced'. Click on it, and up pops a box, which should say 2.0 RC1.2. Edit it to say simply 2.0 RC1 - then save and attempt to install the mod again.

At first glance it should work just fine in 2.0 RC1.2.

gbsothere

Right now, I'm getting a "cannot be parsed" message on all versions but I talked to someone here last week using RC1.2 who did install it.  Let me try it on my RC1.2 test site and come back and tell you how it goes.

If you smell smoke, run.

Arantor

The mod site doesn't do so well with tgz files. But you don't need to parse it manually; it should install just fine given what I said above. (Did for me at least)

gbsothere

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2009, 01:48:44 PM
The mod site doesn't do so well with tgz files. But you don't need to parse it manually; it should install just fine given what I said above. (Did for me at least)

Right, doing what you said (Advanced Tab) allowed it to install just fine.  I did, however, send up a fresh Packages.php from the SMF zip before, though, because I had a nagging feeling that I've edited that file and didn't want the one on my server to be overwritten until I check.

imrich

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2009, 01:41:13 PM
You can install it manually, however the Package Manager is slightly more advanced in 2.0.

From the Browse Packages screen, in the bottom right corner is the word 'Advanced'. Click on it, and up pops a box, which should say 2.0 RC1.2. Edit it to say simply 2.0 RC1 - then save and attempt to install the mod again.

Thanks for this tip! It seemed to install.

I'll have to find a mod to test to see if it installs now and if it keeps the temp directory.

I sure would be nice know know why this is happening. I don't have these problems with my SMF 1.1.10 on the same web servers.

gbsothere

Quote from: imrich on September 08, 2009, 01:53:59 PM

I'll have to find a mod to test to see if it installs now and if it keeps the temp directory.

I sure would be nice know know why this is happening. I don't have these problems with my SMF 1.1.10 on the same web servers.

You might just want to make sure first, if you've had to create yet one more temp directory after installing this mod, to set those tiresome 777 permissions on it.

imrich

Quote from: gbsothere on September 08, 2009, 01:58:18 PM
Quote from: imrich on September 08, 2009, 01:53:59 PM

You might just want to make sure first, if you've had to create yet one more temp directory after installing this mod, to set those tiresome 777 permissions on it.

Yes, I recreated the temp directory 777. Thanks for the reminder!

Now if we could only get the 'file permissions' feature of the package manager working, things may not be so painful.

thanks for your great support and help!

Arantor

The file permissions stuff is going to be highly server configuration dependent; it will work on some configurations and not others, and there is - unfortunately - not a great deal you can do about it.

Advertisement: