Mod of the Month, August

Started by [SiNaN], September 01, 2009, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costa

Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

SoLoGHoST

plusev

SoloGhost rocks the mic! 8) Nice work

SoLoGHoST

Thanks plusev.  Have changed my mind for my next MOD, however, will get back to the Topic Attachment View MOD, but for my next MOD am improving mod updates in Admin settings a bit so that it is easier to know if 1 of your MODs has an update available or not.

Cheers :)

Fustrate

Might want to hold off on that one... ask SiNaN if you want to know more, don't know how much I can say :P
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

SoLoGHoST

hmmmmmmm, Thanks for letting me know something.  Although, not sure what they have in mind, my goal is to allow the MOD authors to update their MODs right from the Admin Settings of their forums.  And since this is all done via XML file using AJAX, is as simple as just installing the url for the xml file location (containing MOD version, MOD name, MOD description, etc.) into a column of a table on the database when they package up their MODs for submission to SMF.  This will actually give MOD authors more control over updating their MODs, ofcourse, will need to have a server to place the XML file on.  Or perhaps, if this mod becomes a success, SMF will consider allowing MOD authors to post up the XML file along with their MOD packages and can be read from within there.  Example of XML file is as follows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!--All valid XML documents must have only one root namespace.-->
<ModsBySoLoGHoST>
<!--But you can have as many elements inside the root as you want.-->
<mod>
<!--This is the name of your mod.-->
<name>PM Attachments</name>

<desc line1="This is line 1" line2="This is line 2" line3="This is line 3">Anything here won't be read by the update.</desc>

<!--URL goes here. Make it a link to make it easier for your users. It must be a real URL, eg. http://www.MyWebPage.com.-->
<url>http://graphicsmayhem.com/GMForum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=138</url>

<!--This is the version of your update. If it's the same as your old mod version, the function will regard all this as an update that you already have.-->
<version>1.4</version>
</mod>
<mod>
<name>SoLoSMiLeYS</name>
<desc line1="Has improved much!" line2="Check it out!" line3="Blah Blah Blah">Blah blah blah</desc>
<url>http://graphicsmayhem.com/GMForum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=27;start=0;sortby=date;orderby=desc#down147</url>
<version>1.0</version>
</mod>
<mod>
<name>Signature Image Rotator</name>
<desc line1="blah" line2="blahblahblah"></desc>
<url>NoURLyeT</url>
<version>1.5</version>
</mod>
</ModsBySoLoGHoST>

This is just 1 specific for my MODs, and haven't really filled in all of the areas as it is just for testing.

Also, on the flip-side of all of this, there is now the MOD update on the Admin Homepage, just under where SMF updates are displayed, for each of their MODs installed if an updates becomes available.  Admin will also have ability to not be notified of specific MOD Updates.  And many more features/options will be included.

P.S. -> Sorry for getting a little off topic here.  Won't talk about it again, however, if this is a waste of time, perhaps a PM could be initiated to me from someone (just stating, waste of time, don't need to know why, just a waste of time would be enough for me) and would be greatly appreciated.

Arantor

I don't know what's planned to be honest, I haven't been part of the discussion but I think what is under discussion is slightly broader base than what you're suggesting. As mentioned before it might be worth having a chat with [SiNaN] about it.

SoLoGHoST

No Biggie, will just create it and if it doesn't get used, or something goes wrong somewhere, no biggie.  I like the idea a lot and am already bout half way coding it.  So Be It!

bullbreedluverz

congrats Sologhost, its a great mod

just 1 suggestion to staff tho - wouldnt the "mod of the month" be better in the erm.... Modification section of the forum - maybe a childboard
(the mod author might notice theyve won mod of the month sooner that way lol)

Arantor

stikkki: If it was in the Modification board, likely it would be completely missed due to the traffic there.

The idea here is to promote what the community can do - the only other suitable place would be Chit Chat.

bullbreedluverz

well i wouldnt think a child board in mod section would be missed considering the ammount of people visiting the mod section looking for mods and logically mod of the month would be in the mod section (well thats how my logic works) and considering the ammount of visits to the mod section people make looking for mods and mod support then if there was a child board called Mod Of The Month with new topic started each month for the winner then i recon people might just notice it

- just like how theme of the month is in theme section, although as that is just a normal topic rather than a childboard then either staff are going to have to delete each theme of the month topics or in time the themes board will have the first page just full of theme of the month topics

- personally i would have a childboard in themes and mod section for the monthly winners as logically that seems (to me anyway) to be a better structure - just my opinion

Arantor

Less people actually go to the mod board than you'd think; many have to be directed there.

The thing is we already have a lot of boards, and adding more when it's two topics per month is not likely to be useful; it would be a board even quieter than many of the boards here.

I don't think it'd help the problem, actually, though I see where you're coming from.

sAce

SoLoGHoST

Thanks a lot stikkki and S-Ace :)

I still like the idea of the ribbon to the left of the MOD's name where it is located on the MOD Site.  Not only does it allow you to see what MODs that have won in the past a bit easier, but also let's users know of the merit of the MOD.  Just my 2 cents.  Have attached 2 pics.  A quick ribbon I created, I can do a whole set if you'd like.  And another pic to show you how it would look.  Ofcourse this is just a quick design I whipped up, if you guys plan on going with this idea, I can design a better looking ribbon and create a set for each month (different colors for the month, or keep it the same, whatever).

bullbreedluverz

Sologhost - hope Arantor likes your suggestion more than mine

i like your idea and think it would be good

Arantor

stikkki: I liked the idea - I'm just not sure there's the place to put it, because I know a lot of people just bypass that board - we never direct people to the main mod board, it's always via the mod site, meaning they only see the main mod board when they've replied to a post.

SoLoGHoST: Yes, I do like the idea. I referred it to the Customizer team in case they didn't see this post.

Sabre™

I've always thought satisfaction came from the thanks in your mods thread.
It seems we're needing more these days ...
Mods of the month.. special ribbons.. need a hug too? lol ;)
I understand the process and what is being achieved by it, soo good luck, and thanks :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Arantor

There is something nice about official recognition however - remember MOTM is voted on by the SMF team only, not by all the thanks in the thread. It's one way of the team recognising the effort that goes into modding.

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: Arantor on September 09, 2009, 10:50:27 AM
stikkki: I liked the idea - I'm just not sure there's the place to put it, because I know a lot of people just bypass that board - we never direct people to the main mod board, it's always via the mod site, meaning they only see the main mod board when they've replied to a post.

its ok i was only joking

Sabre™

Yep, I understand that.
Respect and recognition go without saying, whether it be coded with the most outstanding function/design/need, or the least. They all serve their purpose, and ones perception of 'better'(for lack of another description), will always differ from what is most needed or desirable to each individual.
So as previously stated:
Quote from: Sabre™ on September 09, 2009, 11:02:03 AM
I understand the process and what is being achieved by it, soo good luck, and thanks :)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

Advertisement: