News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Meta tags description is missing?

Started by Jack-Sparrow, August 31, 2009, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack-Sparrow

Hi,

I think we are missing the Meta tags description box from Admin?  I would like to see this in the next version.  Thanks.

sAce

Arantor

And what would you have it say?

Some people say it should contain the text of the first post on the page. Others say you shouldn't bother. Others again say it should be a description of the forum.

sAce

Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2009, 01:39:03 PM
And what would you have it say?

Some people say it should contain the text of the first post on the page. Others say you shouldn't bother. Others again say it should be a description of the forum.

thats why we need a dynamic SEo system :P

Arantor

So, again, like I said... what would you have it say?

sAce

Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2009, 02:12:31 PM
So, again, like I said... what would you have it say?
hmm.. :P

a topic summary :P, i guess the first few lines, oops !!
but this is already there, right , i use it myself
but what we need is a keyword system, and a editable desc,keyword feature, and optimised
cause we already have such mods that function like this but have to be customized

Arantor

In other words, the ability to add custom keywords to a description, when they should for SEO purposes go in keywords, for which there is already an entry field?

sAce

Quote from: Arantor on August 31, 2009, 03:14:57 PM
In other words, the ability to add custom keywords to a description, when they should for SEO purposes go in keywords, for which there is already an entry field?

yes, but i am pretty satisfied with this mod - vb style meta tags. woks well for now atleast

Jack-Sparrow

I am not SEO expert, but IMHO, eg. meta descriptions tag helps google or other search engine rank your site.  Meta Keywords is old way to help your site be crawled by spiders and can be ignored. 

nend

They really don't want to miss with those, I tried convincing but it isn't really of any importance right now.

If you really want to though, I wrote a some code for SMF 1.1.10 that will allow dynamic descriptions. This code uses the first post for a description and Board descriptions in boards.

http://www.sicomm.us/siforum/index.php?topic=388.0

Jack-Sparrow

青山 素子

Quote from: Jack-Sparrow on August 31, 2009, 10:42:36 PM
I am not SEO expert, but IMHO, eg. meta descriptions tag helps google or other search engine rank your site.

No, that tag does not, and Google has explicitly said this. They do not use meta keywords or description in determining your place in results. None of the other major engines do this either (Altavista was one of the last to disregard meta keywords, which they did early this decade). Meta description is used as an alternative description block when there isn't enough text on the page that fits with the search terms.

Several SEO experts actually advise against using meta keywords because search engines don't use it, so you won't gain anything, and you've just given all your competetors a really easy way to see what terms are important for you.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

nend

No Google said explicitly that they still use meta descriptions. However meta descriptions will not help IMPROVE your site rankings but if you have them Google will use the description on the search index which may improve click through.

So we are not trying to improve page rank. Page rank is controlled by how many sites link to your site. We just want to improve click through which I believe is as important as page rank.

So look at my post, if we pull the first post for a meta description compared to the footer. Which item is more relevant to this post? The first post or the footer? Ok if I ran a search in a search engine and saw this.

missing Meta tags description Admin?  what would say. SEO purposes go into... Powered by SMF 2.0 RC1.2 | SMF © 2006–2009, Simple Machines LLC 

compared to

Hi, I think we are missing the Meta tags description box from Admin? I would like to see this in the next version.  Thanks.

Yes when we leave nothing there they pick up garbage. So if I put something there it will be a nicer description and I would have less likely chance that it would be garbage as a page description. Thus like Google said itself, improving click through.  ;)

Advertisement: