News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

upcoming smf-mambo bridge wishlist

Started by Psiloman, April 16, 2005, 07:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psiloman

Nice to see my idea getting all sticky,thanks! (Heh,that sounded dirty!) Quite out of topic: i wonder if there is an option in SMF ,like a "seperator line" that could seperate stickies from normal posts.This would be helpfull since a big list of stickies (like in mambo bridge subforum) can become a bite eye-unfriendly if you get what i mean,plus it doesnt credit the expected "weight" a sticky oughts to have.

Anyway ,something tells me that the upcoming bridge will be a real punch! At first i thought that such a specific component wouldnt have much room for "extra options" but i get the idea that it indeed hasthat potential.Nothing comes to mind at the moment, this wishlist has more than i can ask for.

Im a big fun of "extensive profiles during registration".Now that would be a killer,making registering to the mambo-smf much more fun (hey,fun can attract members as well!).

BY the way,if someone synchronisesthe database in SMF Admin panel does it cause any glitches in the intergation? This area could be worth looking into as well!

Keep in mind that a userfriendly,versatile,and bugfree (well,at least up to the point of good functionality) is the target!

Kindred

the separator line for stickies is a simple one line code...   there was a discussion on it in tips & tricks sometime last summer. I have it in my code, so I'll see if I can track down the exact line.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NoRad

Option to selectively recreate SMF menu on login module and corresponding package manager file for SMF to remove menu function call from index template if desired.

Kindred

Radianation,

The problem with the removing of the menu from SMF is that it would only od it for the default theme... Like all SMF mods, you can pretty much only gaurantee that the default theme reads as "X"... any other theme might have an extra space or read completely differently. (like the Sitra theme, for example, which calls for none of the menu buttons.)

Even just commenting out the fuction call can't be gauarnteed on anythign except the default theme, because you also have to comment out the surrounding table in order to achieve a clean look.

So, adding the SMF menu options to the login module (like the mambohacks version used to have) sounds like a good idea. However, removing the header from the forum will still have to be done manually...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NoRad

Imagine how many newbie questions you could avoid by removing the default theme menu and table, though?  ;)
Just put a disclaimer that says it only works with SMF default theme, and give them a checkbox to apply it if they want. I think it sounds like a grand idea. hehe

Psiloman

Quote from: Radianation on May 09, 2005, 05:06:45 AM
Option to selectively recreate SMF menu on login module and corresponding package manager file for SMF to remove menu function call from index template if desired.

Ummm,i lost you there.What would this practically mean? how would it look? /me slightly confused,brain is still sleeping

As a sidenote: i went to my package manager of my SMF and i saw the green dot signifying "current version" on Ostrio's bridge mod.Thing is i had version 3.12 ,whereas 3.15  is out...Wow, i didnt even get a whiff that i was .2 versions oldfashioned! Get where im going? I dont know if it could be implemented so from the admin package manager onecould view if its the latest version of such a critical component and choose to update it.To make matters worse i intent on having mambo and SMF in Greek,so that means extra hassle since they are considered  "special characters" and exhibit any kind of incompatibility/bug under the sun...Consider yourselves lucky if you use latinbased alphabet!

Same would be good for mambo componet and module although that could be difficult (i think i proposed an RSS thingy for that ,but Ostrio gets goosebumps with RSS programming)...Im already afraid of updates and i gringe at the day Mambo will make a new update (can you upgrade in this case or is it an uninstallold/installnew case?) and that SMF 1.1 will be released to the world.Dont get me wrong ,both of them will be FANTASTIC news but im afraid of upgrading and bugs...Maybe i should wait for a bit after their release so more testing is done ,the new bridge for 1.1 is developed and generally have a more rigid ,wholesome approach for my website than a buggy one.Its good though that 1.1 SMF is released to charter members,they have to take the "heat" but when it reaches us mere mortals it will be mroe wholesome and tested i think!

Orstio

QuoteAs a sidenote: i went to my package manager of my SMF and i saw the green dot signifying "current version" on Ostrio's bridge mod.Thing is i had version 3.12 ,whereas 3.15  is out...Wow, i didnt even get a whiff that i was .2 versions oldfashioned! Get where im going? I dont know if it could be implemented so from the admin package manager onecould view if its the latest version of such a critical component and choose to update it.To make matters worse i intent on having mambo and SMF in Greek,so that means extra hassle since they are considered  "special characters" and exhibit any kind of incompatibility/bug under the sun...Consider yourselves lucky if you use latinbased alphabet!

If you have 3.12 working properly, there is no need to upgrade to 3.15.  It has a number of enhancements, mainly for new installations, and SEF-URL related enhancements.  Nothing security-related, or site-crashing. 

If you find any incompatibilities when using Greek with the bridge, I would appreciate reports, so I can fix them.  I'd also appreciate, if you change the bridge language file to Greek, that you post here, or send me , a copy of that, so I can release it with the bridge. ;)

QuoteSame would be good for mambo componet and module although that could be difficult (i think i proposed an RSS thingy for that ,but Ostrio gets goosebumps with RSS programming)...Im already afraid of updates and i gringe at the day Mambo will make a new update (can you upgrade in this case or is it an uninstallold/installnew case?) and that SMF 1.1 will be released to the world.

It's not RSS that makes me cringe.  An RSS feed can be done.  What was suggested was that the script compare between an old version on your site with a new version on another site (a dev site), and alert the administrator, which I'm not sure I am comfortable with.

As for upgrading, I am looking forward to the new versions of Mambo and SMF.  They will both make the bridge easier to install, implement, and configure to the end users' liking. :)  No need to be worried.

Psiloman

QuoteIf you find any incompatibilities when using Greek with the bridge, I would appreciate reports, so I can fix them.

Yup,i will let you know...With a quick look nothing seems amiss although im having some problems with my buttons of the new theme im using (SMFone) but  i dont think thats anything Bridge related! I didnt search it thourougly because i had a brain melt from being online all day and had a bad mood as well for some reason.

QuoteI'd also appreciate, if you change the bridge language file to Greek, that you post here, or send me , a copy of that, so I can release it with the bridge

Oh do you mean the info and options of the Mambo backend menu for the bridge? Thats the only thign that comes to mind that could be translated (if im wrong give me a shout) so it could also be implemented and sitting rather nicely with other greek backend translations ( i tend to avoid using backend translations because im familiarised with English and a greek translation can be ....all Greek to me!).

That doesnt mean though that i wont give it a go! Maybe someone would like to use it! Heh! Thats actually my first try at doing anything code related on my own. Strategy: Open lang files,find comments and option names that appear in the backend and translate them to Greek.Save and pack it back in the bridge zip. Any comments,scolding or praise welcome!

Quotes for upgrading, I am looking forward to the new versions of Mambo and SMF.  They will both make the bridge easier to install, implement, and configure to the end users' liking. Smiley  No need to be worried.

Thanks for the encouragment! Im not actually worried in the true sense ,im eager to see them out although slightly anxious issues might come up. Nothing though that both communities wont be able to face!

blackcatplanet

Quote from: Orstio on May 07, 2005, 07:08:31 AM
QuoteWell if anyone could this make this bridge work with comprofiler from Community builder login that would be nice!!

I've already made a hack that works with Mambo-PhpShop....doing the same with CB shouldn't be too hard.

I am desperate to get the ecommerce package mambo v 4.5.2.1 working with SMF & hopefully Community Builder as well. We've been trying with no results for a few weeks now, and accidentally installed Cowboy/Roceller's hack instead of yours at one point, and we've done local and live installs and have had no success so far. Can you please direct me in the proper steps to take for integration between the 4.5.2.1 version of mambo and SMF? Where is this hack for phpshop to be found? In what order and which versions should we install? I heard you said something about not using the same login for both Mambo and SMF, might that be one of our problems? Thank you in advance for any help!

We're running locally:
Xampp for Windows version 1.4.11 which contains php 4.3.10 and MySQL 1.4.8

and Remotely (hosted by godaddy.com [nofollow]):
php version 4.3.11
linux server
MySQL 3.23.49

We have:
Mambo & phpshop ecommerce edition 4.5.2.1
SMF - tried the last few releases
Community Builder RC1 - haven't even gotten to trying to install this again yet since we haven't gotten the first two to integrate successfully yet - you can see our latest failed attempt at http://www.blackcatplanet.com/blackcat [nofollow] (if we haven't deleted it by the time you read this post)

Thanks again for your time!

>^.^<   Black Cat Planet Two-Person Admin Team   >^.^<

http://www.blackcatplanet.com [nofollow]
.               >^.^<                      Info: Bridge 3.16, SMF 1.0.3, Mambo 4.5.2.1 phpshop ed.
          Black Cat Planet              Remote Host: godaddy.com [nofollow], Apache w/linux server, MySQL 3.23.49, Php 4.3.11
     Two-Person Admin Team       Local Host: Windows w/Xampp 1.4.11 (MySQL 1.4.8, php 4.3.10)
http://www.blackcatplanet.com [nofollow] - But we're working on: http://www.blackcatplanet.com/blackcathome [nofollow]

*Want*: M

Orstio

I'm not certain that CB will work with phpShop without hacking at least one of them.  They both hack Mambo's registration and login in a similar fashion to what I did with the SMF bridge.

The latest SMF bridge, and the phpShop hack, can be found at MamboForge:

http://mamboforge.net/frs/?group_id=543

Again, I have no idea whether CB will work with this, and in fact, I highly doubt it.

Orstio

Resend activation:  This is a feature missing from Mambo, but will be present in the next bridge release.  :D

Fragsta

In regards to this discussbot...

Would it be possible so that when an article is posted, a topic of the same type is posted in a certain forum board, and users can discuss this article there? Starting new topics could then be disabled on this board. And then obviously put in all the other things that people suggested like giving a link to the article and a small quick reply box, etc.

Orstio

QuoteWould it be possible so that when an article is posted, a topic of the same type is posted in a certain forum board, and users can discuss this article there? Starting new topics could then be disabled on this board.

Well, it can't be done automatically as the article is posted.  The most obvious reason for this is the way in which articles are posted in Mambo:  One could be using any of about a dozen different editors for Mambo.  Each one of those editors would need to have a hack in them to be able to do this.

QuoteAnd then obviously put in all the other things that people suggested like giving a link to the article and a small quick reply box, etc.

That is already in the discussbot.

jorgen

Quote from: Orstio on June 06, 2005, 06:42:16 AM

QuoteAnd then obviously put in all the other things that people suggested like giving a link to the article and a small quick reply box, etc.

That is already in the discussbot.

And it would be even better if is said somethink like "link to the original article..." instead of just listing the adress. And maybe even make this text editable via a parameter in the backend.

Then I wouldn't have to edit the discussbot files anymore  ;D

Orstio

QuoteAnd it would be even better if is said somethink like "link to the original article..." instead of just listing the adress. And maybe even make this text editable via a parameter in the backend.

Then I wouldn't have to edit the discussbot files anymore 

Consider it done.  :)

jorgen

Quote from: Orstio on June 06, 2005, 06:30:02 PM
Consider it done.  :)

:D :P  8)
No wonder this bridge is my favourite software project.

rotor

Just a little wish .... when a user registers in smf could we get it to pass the registration date to the mos_user table ... mos uses it in the newest users and total users mod.

rotor

ok ...der, I should look a little ... I'll just use the bridge instead of the smf registration ..... it does exactly that   ::)

rjoe_brandon

I have seen other components do this and it seems to help with reducie the number of first time install headaches (and therefore encourage propogation!) 

On the Mambo Com_SMF link I would have an information/about or something link which has the contents of step 4

[qoute]

a) Install mod_smf_login.php as a module.

b) Go to your Mambo template (index.php), and add the following code, right before the </head> tag:

<?php
        global $sc, $context;

if (!defined('SMF')){
        require ("administrator/components/com_smf/config.smf.php");
        require ($smf_path."/SSI.php");
        }

$sc = &$context['session_id'];
        $_SESSION['USER_AGENT'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

mysql_select_db($mosConfig_db);
        ?>

c) Also, in your mambo template (index.php), add the following code just above the </body> tag:

<?php mysql_select_db($db_name); ?>

d) Publish the module, and unpublish the default Mambo login module.
[/qoute]

Since it seems this is a step a lot of people skip (since you did such a good job with the component they think once they get it installed it will run fine....these are of couse those of us who only skim the directions as needed :)

You might also have in text behind "detect path automatically" a note of where to find it in SMF (Admin -> Edit Server Settings -> SMF Directory) since many of the installees are new to SMF and don't know where to find that right away.

Heck while you are at it just include the "error message" section of your great how to on the information/about link for com_smf :)

Good luck!  And keep up the great work!

guilliam

an EXTENDED profiler from the SMF registration.. so that wont be needing "coummunity builder" anymore.

and BTW.. its not BAMBO as the title says.. its MAMBO.. it should read as "upcoming smf-Mambo bridge wishlist"

guilliam
----
SMF ported on Joomla:
http://www.jcip-zugbuana.org

Orstio

Quotean EXTENDED profiler from the SMF registration.. so that wont be needing "coummunity builder" anymore.

Funny you should mention that.  I just worked on making the bridge compatible with Community Builder, and was going to ask for a tester.  ;)

PS -- it's community builder, not coummunity builder.  ;)

Advertisement: