SMF 2.0 RC1 Garage MOD

Started by JBasco20, September 14, 2009, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Depends on your definition of hard. Time consuming, certainly, but not that hard for an experienced SMF modder. (No, I'm not offering, I'm way too busy with SimpleDesk)

RRasco

Quote from: Liam. on April 16, 2010, 05:37:04 AM
And yeah, I doubt they'll reply seeming though it's been 6 months since they've last been active, and writing that from scratch would be... Hard :P

I wouldn't be so quick to judge....

Thanks for your interest in the mod, but we have no intention of giving it up.  We have hundreds of hours invested in this mod, its over 30,000 lines of code.  We do have plans to update the mod, to current version and eventually 2.0, but we have been inundated with several other projects at this time.  What do programmers do when they are done with one project?  They start another...we are busy working on other projects that support us financially, this was just a mod I wanted for my site and decided to share with the rest of the community.

One reason we have not made SMF Garage 2.0 compatible is that SMF 2.0 is not even final yet, nothing is guaranteed until then.  We do hope to have a 2.0 prototype before its final release, though.  You are more than welcome to take what we have and contribute to the development, identifying code conflicts and posting them on our development site.  You are also welcome to mod the code to work with your site however you see fit so you can use a newer version of SMF before we have an official release.  Rest assured, this mod is not dead, merely slumbering.  I will make it an initiative to get it working with the current SMF version, soon.
Vehicle Management System for SMF - SMFGarage.com

Arantor

* Arantor is still curious whether you have got appropriate dual licencing on the mod.

roomeat

Quote from: RRasco on April 16, 2010, 03:25:51 PM
You are more than welcome to take what we have and contribute to the development, identifying code conflicts and posting them on our development site.

Not that I have the ability to make changes and identify conflicts.. but would you even SEE anyones posts on your site?? seeing as it's inundated with spammers. :(
We were not given dreams, without also being given the power to achieve them.

Liam.

Glad to see it'll be making an update, but at the current rate the SMF 2.0 is going at, a final would be quite a way away, aww :'(

Oh well, still good to see it'll be coming back ;D

Cas

Quote from: Liam. on April 16, 2010, 05:37:04 AM
Dunno, I just install it on a plain copy of SMF 1.1.11 and it screws up the coding...

Do you have short tags enabled or not? The GarageFunctions.php starts with <? and not with <?php.
That was the only problem I had.

Liam.

Wow, that was a simple fix ;) Thanks for that ;)

droganto

But I dont understand. If the interest to finish this mod is money, why just do a demand poll or request a deposit or just finish the mode and ask for payment like some other mods. For Example the SMF Store, thats a nice mod and they sell it cause  they know their time and effort in the coding is valuable. Just my opinion. I wouldn't mind buying it if I know is going to be a hit on my site. Which it will cause I have a Car Club site.

Liam.

Quote from: droganto on May 25, 2010, 02:56:08 PM
But I dont understand. If the interest to finish this mod is money, why just do a demand poll or request a deposit or just finish the mode and ask for payment like some other mods. For Example the SMF Store, thats a nice mod and they sell it cause  they know their time and effort in the coding is valuable. Just my opinion. I wouldn't mind buying it if I know is going to be a hit on my site. Which it will cause I have a Car Club site.

That'd be something to take up with the developer(s), the public can't just decide whether to pay for it or not, I noticed that the site has been cleaned up and some progress has been made on it recently, but not sure when the next release will be...

droganto

True, but even their site seems to be out dated. I will try to contact the guys from phpBB Garage see if they are working or can do something :(

ZloboMiR

Hello,

As you asked for "enough interest", well, I am currently making a hobby site for the VW fans in Bulgaria. So yes, I am interested, and I will prefer the mod free. Not that I can't allow it (ok, maybe, BG is not a rich country :P ) but I have switched to Linux  exactly because it gives the freedom to twinkle the code real time, w/o waiting for the fix that never comes and unfixes other things...

Regards,

Zlobi

StreetGliderX

i am not running the 2.0 yet but i am experimenting with the smf garage. i would love a version that was complete and supported, would be willing to pay for a version that was complete, would be MORE THAN HAPPY to buy a nice garage mod to work on my forum that i could tailor make to my site.

droganto

well keep it coming maybe someone will get interested

RRasco

Quote from: droganto on May 25, 2010, 02:56:08 PM

It's not about money, it's about time and the money that time costs.  There simply isn't enough interested parties willing to pay for this to make it an income source for us.  Now, that doesn't mean we won't invest any time in this software, because, well frankly, we use the software too.  Times have been hard in this country lately and we all have to do what we can to stay afloat.  We will keep this project going, I just can't give an accurate time frame.
Vehicle Management System for SMF - SMFGarage.com

droganto

RRasco,

I do understand that creating a mod like this take time. But when you say theres no enough people that are demanding the software or not willing to pay I think is not right. I see a lot of people interested in this MOD, theres a lot of car clubs that will benefit from this mod. There's also a few threads opened with the same topic requesting it.

If you or your team are the one interested to do this and you want to be sure. Just create a thread requesting who is interested and willing to pay and you'll see. :)

Arantor

This thread is 9 months old, and is only in its third page. Since I don't remember many other threads requesting this in the last year (bearing in mind that for most of the last year I spent many hours reading this board), I'd say it's not actually that highly requested, and can think of quite a few mods that would come above this one.

However.

Make a detailed list of what it should do and I might (MIGHT) consider it as a paid mod, been looking for an interesting challenge, and this would be it. But I need to know what you think it should do (and if you just point to another mod and say, "like that", ain't NO chance I'll do that. I don't copy other mods. Ever. I do something interesting and unique.)

droganto

Quote from: Arantor on June 07, 2010, 02:23:02 PM
This thread is 9 months old, and is only in its third page. Since I don't remember many other threads requesting this in the last year (bearing in mind that for most of the last year I spent many hours reading this board), I'd say it's not actually that highly requested, and can think of quite a few mods that would come above this one.

However.

Make a detailed list of what it should do and I might (MIGHT) consider it as a paid mod, been looking for an interesting challenge, and this would be it. But I need to know what you think it should do (and if you just point to another mod and say, "like that", ain't NO chance I'll do that. I don't copy other mods. Ever. I do something interesting and unique.)

Arantor

Thank you for your interest. I hear you on not copying other mods, but there's nothing bad about doing it, even big companies like Apple, Microsoft, cars builders, etc they do it, but like you said they make it better and unique. But it will be easy for you to get the starting point and make it better. Definetively I dont know a place that I cant point you becuase most of the forums you have to register but I will go to the one I know and give you and idea.

These are some of the threads I found realted to gatage and people hoping to have a garage under SMF like phpp and vbulleting
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=123642.0
http://www.smfhacks.com/index.php/topic,140.0.html
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=83146.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=26553.0
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=193606.0 (Whatever they say) lol
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=19834.0

Arantor

*sigh* That was not the question asked.

I asked for a simple, comprehensive list of what it should do. Not a list of 'like that' links.

droganto

That wasnt my intention Arantor, I was pointing at you that there are a lot of threads requesting this mod.

Here are some of the things I think the garage should have but if someone want to add opinion that will be great:

Basic
Car Name
Year
Brand
Type/Trim
Picture
Horsepower
Weight:
Est. top speed:
Quarter Mile Time:
Zero to Sixty:
List of Mods: You can do it as a check box, dropdown list but that will mean you have to come up with a list of brands. My Recomendatio is let the User type the mods the way the want it. Maybe Divide it into: Performance, Interior & Style, Audio & Video

I will say use some of these fields but not all. This page look to crowded with information you dont need. And like you said you dont want to copy :) http://www.smfgarage.com/demo/index.php?action=garage

Advanced (if you want to do it)
* Tracking gas mileage and vehicle maintenance
* Multiple vehicles support
* Storing vehicle details (Make, Model, License Plate, etc.)
* Supporting several international units: MPG (US, Canada & Imperial), gal/100mi (US & Imperial), mi/L, km/gal (US & Imperial), L/100km, km/L
* Service reminders for vehicles (both time and mileage based). They can be separately customized for each vehicle
* Powerful searching and filtering
* Thorough statistics of your vehicles at a glance
* Exposing your data as graphical charts: Fuel Efficiency, Fuel Price, Fuel Expenses, Service Expenses
* Comparison charts for your vehicles and the fuel octanes you're using

Yes I copied this from another software. If you need something more specific I can ask my members for more features. Hope that help :)

Arantor

If you can only find an average of one thread per YEAR on this forum, it's not high demand.

If I were taking this on (and each time I look at this, I'm less inclined to do so), I wouldn't limit it to cars. I wouldn't even call it a garage mod, because you can with a little ingenuity make it so much more - but be able to do all those things you're after.

But again you're missing what I actually asked you.

I don't give a **** what other software does. Neither should you. What do you WANT or NEED it to do? Not what other systems do. Don't assume that what other systems do is perfect for your needs. It almost certainly isn't. It was just right for the developer's needs. Which may or may not, likely not, be directly compatible with your and your community's needs.

Call me when you figure out what you actually want and stop pointing to other systems as 'like that' because that doesn't help anyone except someone willing to reinvent the wheel, not do something interesting, different and better suited to your needs.

Advertisement: