News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Location Mod provide access to restricted forum boards

Started by DAB Empire, April 19, 2005, 09:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAB Empire

I would like to have specific sections on my forum.  For example... If a user were to live in California and placed their pin within the California region on the map that would then grant them access to a board I make on my forums called "California". 

SkyFlyer

That would be rather difficult, since the location mod just uses an image for a map. I mean you could get a picture of [unknown] or someone and use that as your "map." the mod doesnt really know where on earth you place the pin, just where you placed the pin on the picture.

Oldiesmann

SkyFlyer - your state is stored along with data indicating where to place the pin, so it wouldn't be that hard. However, it's probably not the best idea, because it could be abused easily (someone could say they live in California just so they can post there, even though they really live in New York (for example)).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Kindred

it shouldn't be too hard... but you'd have to change both the board access function (to check for permission) and the location mod to make it specifically ask for and store the value for a state rather than just a location (which could be a country, a city. etc)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oldiesmann

I thought that the mod stored your state as well, but it doesn't. You can enter a location value and also select the country though, so it could be modified a bit to ask for state if the map was set to the US.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

DAB Empire

In thinking about it, it really wouldn't have to be based on the Location Mod.  Maybe if there was a section in the Admin that you can add a drop down menu to user's profile to select from a list of locations/regions that you provide.  That way people can still add their own location in the default box, but can also select Midwest, East Coat, etc. that the Admin listed.  Based on that provided list the Admin could also have restricted boards read users that have the appropriate location specified to allow them access to that section.

Advertisement: