News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hide Ignored Boards

Started by Matthew K., September 18, 2009, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srinib

After i installed this MOD on my test forum, i am getting this error message. Only when i click "Home", i get this error. Profile, My Messages, Members and Logout are working fine.

Matthew K.

Make sure the database operations were completed (it appears they weren't). You should be able to run the "install.php" file that is in the package in your browser.

TMR Guy

Where is it that I have the option to "Ignore a Board" on SMF 2.0.7?

Thanks,

TMR Guy

Arantor

It's in your profile area, assuming it's enabled.

TMR Guy

I don't see where to enabled/disable the mod.

Arantor

This is something I never understood about mod authors and when I originally wrote this mod, I certainly didn't bother with it. If you install it, it's enabled, if you uninstall it, it gets disabled. Why does there need to be any configuration beyond that?

TMR Guy

I uninstalled the mod, then deleted it, then reinstalled it and it gave me this massage, "The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes." So it should be enabled, right?

But I'm not seeing where to use it. I thought it would be in my profile when I clicked the "Modify Profile" button. I just don't see how to use it.

Thanks,

TMR Guy

Arantor

This mod doesn't make ignored boards happen. They're already a feature in SMF, this mod just tweaks them.

Ignore boards is enabled via Admin > Forum > Settings > Allow boards to be ignored. (This setting exists regardless of whether the mod is installed)

TMR Guy

I hope I'm don't getting off topic but....

I did Admin > Forum > Boards > Settings > Allow boards to be ignored. Which added the "Ignore Boards Options" to my Modify Profile drop down box/options. It shows all the boards that I can ignore but it doesn't work unless I have the mod installed. It's working fine now (with the mod installed). Was there something I did wrong for it not to work without the mod?

Also, is there a way for me to not allow members to ignore a board? If I had a "Admins Announcements" board that I didn't want anyone to ignore, is there a way for me to do that?

Arantor, thanks for all of your help on my last few questions over the last few days.

Arantor

Of course it does. It just doesn't do what you think it does.

Without the mod installed, a board that is ignored is just that. Boards don't show up as having new posts, nor do said boards turn up in recent or unread posts. If you still want to see the state of topics in those boards, you can still go and see the topics and still see which ones are unread.

With the mod installed, all of that still happens - but the boards won't show up on board indexes, that's all it does.

For example, I have all the non-English boards marked ignore here because they don't interest me, as I don't speak the language. They're all excluded from recent posts, all excluded from unread posts but the boards are still visible.

No, there isn't a way in base SMF to pick and choose boards to ignore/not ignore. I don't know if there's a mod for it or not, there wasn't last time I looked for one, in the end I just wrote it myself.

TMR Guy

Now I get it, thanks for explaining it to me Arantor. And thank you to the author of the mod, it's going to help me as my sites grows  8)

Arantor

The mod author you say? Check the mod's page for where it says 'original author' ;D

FrizzleFried

I just checked and this mod (of course) does not work with 2.1.1...

I have an exceptionally whiney segment of my userbase that is simply beside themselves that ignored boards are still showing up on the index.   Evidently in the 2.0.x version of our forum I did have this mod installed.

@Arantor ... is there any way I can convince you to update this mod to work with 2.1.1?

If cash is the key... name your price... we can go from there.

Thank you for the consideration.

Arantor

The real question is what it should do with alerts.

For example, let's say I ignore a board and in a topic in that board, you @ me. Should I still receive the notification?

I am in one of two minds on the subject and it really matters because both options require quite a few changes and making it a toggle option isn't really worth the effort.

FrizzleFried

Hmmm... what does it do now?  I think currently ignore boards only ignores the posts/responses in the "Unread/Updated Topics" links... right?

Does it already do any ignoring in the alerts?

NOW... if someone has an alert in a post that is in a sub-forum that he is ignoring... that's on him.  I say show him the post... unless it's just easier to not... which (again) that's on him/her.

:)

I honestly don't care which way you decide to go... go with whatever is easier IMHO.

:)

Arantor

So, ignore boards in 2.0 out of the box just means they don't show up in unread/updated. The way I wrote the mod originally, the boards aren't accessible on the board index and friends either (but should be accessible if someone clicks a link)

But alerts/likes are a form of trigger that don't work that way and can be triggered by other users, rather than an individual being the owner of their own destiny.

What's *easiest*? The easiest route is not caring if someone mentions someone and letting the alert go through to the user, if I remember rightly, just not sure that's the 'correct' behaviour.

FrizzleFried

Yeah, I didn't think about the mention system.  Hmmmm... yeah,  those should be blocked in ignored boards if done "right"...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just gonna throw my opinion there, and say I don't think it's really that simple. There are many different reasons one might want to ignore a board, and usually many different positions on a forum that might all approach this from a different angle. Like, even though I may ignore a board or few because I don't usually want to see them or want them in my search results, I might still very much want to know if someone is mentioning me on purpose.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

FrizzleFried

Our issues aren't nearly as problematic.  WE have a NSFW and a Political forum.  Both of those are rather popular to be ignored vs the rest.   We're not harassing each other too much.  They'd rather just not see the NSFW or Political forums.  If the functionality mimiced 2.0.x version, that would be plenty good "enough" for my users.  That said,  I can see where a properly coded mod would be beneficial tot he software.  Frankly, the ignore function of SMF has always left a bit to be desired.

Kindred

Quote from: FrizzleFried on March 19, 2022, 07:58:16 AMFrankly, the ignore function of SMF has always left a bit to be desired.

Only because you dont (apparently) agree with what ignore shoukd do.
Honestly, the ignore function dies exactly what i would expect it to do.  :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: