News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

guests only see balnk screen, the function ‘template_header()’ is causing errors

Started by oistarbwoy, September 20, 2009, 09:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Not really. It's failing due to out of memory. Without going back through every piece of code to work out where the memory hit is, it isn't possible to do.

oistarbwoy

good news and bad news.

the good news is i now have acsess to my own php.ini file

the bad news is i uped the memory to 32 and still i cant get it to work for guests. i used a phpinfo file to check the change was actually made and its 32M so i dont get why i still cant make it work?

I'm not sure where to go from here, the error says its out of memory i up the memory still the same thing... what next?  ::)

Arantor

Did you restart the webserver when changing it? It won't change unless Apache is reloaded.

Arantor

You need to ask the host to do so unless you're the server admin. No changes to httpd.conf take effect until either Apache is restarted or the configuration is reloaded.

Arantor

oistarbwoy

globat.... their not helpful at all they wont do it and so my site is still not working and i have no idea what to do!

Arantor

oistarbwoy

yeah tell me about it... i found out today that they way to get some attention from my host is to pay for 'premium suppor't just 15mins after i payed for it i got this message... (as if they couldnt have told me this last night!)

"We have increased memory limit to 53M. But still script gives errors. We have checked the script and noticed that the function 'template_header()' is causing errors in Subs.php script. We suggest you to contact webmaster or application vendor to correct the code. "

can it be fixed?

Arantor

It would be helpful if they bothered to say what the errors are - to say there are errors in Subs.php is probably more useless than not since it's at least 4,000 lines of code.

Garou

In looking at the site, I'm wondering if it has something to do with your Simple Portal settings. For instance you can go directly to the portal page or a thread 'index.php?topic=#' but not 'index.php?action=forum' or 'index.php'

oistarbwoy

Quote from: Garou on September 21, 2009, 08:36:23 PM
In looking at the site, I'm wondering if it has something to do with your Simple Portal settings. For instance you can go directly to the portal page or a thread 'index.php?topic=#' but not 'index.php?action=forum' or 'index.php'

right how bizare... i thought simple portal, well thats worth a try so i put it into a couple of different modes to see if that amde a difference.

it didnt

so then i wondered if perhaps there was a very basic guests allowed to view simple portal permission somewhere that hadnt been ticked or something.

so i went into permissions and noticed that  guests had very few i added a few more for some mods that i'd never sorted permissions for like, view profile comments etc.

then i came back to the site and suddenly everything is working again

:D

obviously im really happy but i still cant figure out exactly what fixed the problem or what caused it so im slightly nervous it may happen again.

so im going to investigate a little further before i mark this as solved. thanks guys by the way for your time and help.

oistarbwoy

i have identified the problem.

drum roll please...

when guests are not allowed to view articles (as in the smf articles mod) then that is the result. The temporary fix is to enable guests to view articles.

although when i change custom forms permission settings it unchecks the allow guests to view articles one.

is this some kind of conflict between the mods, dya think? also worth noticing it doesnt affect article permissions for any other member group, just guests.

either way the fix is to set custom forms first and then go over all the guest permissions in the general permissions bit.

and i am a very happy bunny now all is well on my site  :)

Arantor

Interesting - that said it still shouldn't cause a flat out error, and it may be worth reporting that on the SP site (www.simpleportal.net)

Advertisement: