News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop posters from removing their topics after X amount of replies

Started by Elijah Bliss, April 20, 2005, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah Bliss

I find my self sifting through my recycle bin more often, retrieving 100+ response threads, trashed by the creator of the thread because "they didn't get the replies they were looking for". Why one would look for kudos for leaving a child locked up, windows rolled up in a car, admit to and justifying doing such a thing in a public forum that is beyond me. I want to stop this by having a feature that will remove the "Remove own topic" permission from posters after x amount of replies.

dschwab9

In 1.1, you can have it so they can't edit/remove after X number of minutes.

[Unknown]

What about only allowing people to do certain things if they are the ID_MEMBER_UPDATED or based on numReplies being 0?  In other words, if they were the last to post in the topic, they could delete their post.... if the topic has 0 replies, they could lock it, etc.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 20, 2005, 11:34:14 PM
What about only allowing people to do certain things if they are the ID_MEMBER_UPDATED or based on numReplies being 0? 

I like this idea...

QuoteIn other words, if they were the last to post in the topic, they could delete their post...

This part I have to disagree with. Then the creators of the threads who "didn't find what they were looking for" after 100 replies would reply, hurry up, and delete. 

Quoteif the topic has 0 replies, they could lock it, etc.

-[Unknown]

I agree with this. I understand people make mistakes, I see it in the recycle bin, most of the time those mistakes have no replies.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Elijah Bliss on April 20, 2005, 11:59:36 PM
This part I have to disagree with. Then the creators of the threads who "didn't find what they were looking for" after 100 replies would reply, hurry up, and delete.

Keyword being post.  Meaning, if A posts, and then B posts, A cannot delete his post anymore.  A visual example:

S (topic starter) <-- can't delete/edit.
A <-- can't delete/edit.
B <-- last poster, can delete/edit his/her post only.

Obviously, this would be optional for those who want it this way.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 21, 2005, 12:13:28 AM
Quote from: Elijah Bliss on April 20, 2005, 11:59:36 PM

Keyword being post.  Meaning, if A posts, and then B posts, A cannot delete his post anymore.  A visual example:

S (topic starter) <-- can't delete/edit.
A <-- can't delete/edit.

Obviously, this would be optional for those who want it this way.

-[Unknown]

Aaahhh, very clever. I like this very much.

Would this loop be indefinite, for example if C posted, would B be unable to delete/edit his or her post, so on and so forth, or would here be an option to stop this loop after x amount of replies?

Quote from: dschwab9 on April 20, 2005, 11:30:17 PM
In 1.1, you can have it so they can't edit/remove after X number of minutes.

I have that set for 5 days. I really try my best not to play the "board nazi" role. I always stress to my members to think thrice before posting, but this particular situation is getting out of hand in my forum.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Elijah Bliss on April 21, 2005, 12:22:33 AM
Would this loop be indefinite, for example if C posted, would B be unable to delete/edit his or her post, so on and so forth, or would here be an option to stop this loop after x amount of replies?

I was thinking, just do it based on the last post period.  When would you want otherwise?

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 21, 2005, 12:24:27 AM
Quote from: Elijah Bliss on April 21, 2005, 12:22:33 AM

I was thinking, just do it based on the last post period.  When would you want otherwise?

-[Unknown]

That makes sense, doesn't sound too restrictive, but will there be any latitude for topic starters and posters that made a topic/posts in error?

[Unknown]

Ah, so you're saying, "within the last x posts"?  That just seems too complicated to check in the code... I'm not sure.

Really, nothing will replace a bit of moderation.  If you want this setting on, you're going to get people who want their topics deleted, and you'll have to do it for them.  There's no perfect way around that, I think.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 21, 2005, 12:33:09 AM
Ah, so you're saying, "within the last x posts"?  That just seems too complicated to check in the code... I'm not sure.

Really, nothing will replace a bit of moderation.  If you want this setting on, you're going to get people who want their topics deleted, and you'll have to do it for them.  There's no perfect way around that, I think.

-[Unknown]

well I like your model, this is the only change I'd make to it:

S (topic starter) <-- can delete/edit until 1st reply, after that can't delete/edit
A <-- can't delete/edit.

Would that be difficult?

[Unknown]

That's what I meant.  If the topic was:

S

Then S would be able to do anything he or she wants.  But, once it becomes:

S
A

Now, only A can delete his or her post, and S's post is locked in stone.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 21, 2005, 12:47:28 AM

S

S
A

-[Unknown]

Good. I'd rather have this feature than not have it at all.

Gary

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 21, 2005, 12:47:28 AM

S

S
A

Nice idea. But what about the admins/mods, they should be able to edit, remove, weither there are replied to the thread or not.

For example:

S <-- can delete/edit until 1st reply, after that can't delete/edit except admin/mod
A <-- can't delete/edit but admins mods/can
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

[Unknown]

Obviously, this wouldn't apply to administrators or moderators, whether they were the poster or not.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: