News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Admin getting internal server errors

Started by xcx, September 22, 2009, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcx

Hi, an administrator of a forum I admin myself has been getting internal server errors upon moving to a new host. The hosting support suggested that we ask for help here because the errors are only resolved when she deletes her cookies, and they start back up again when she logs out.

Anytime she visits the forum after logging out and without deleting any cookies, she'll get nothing but internal server errors. Then she deletes cookies and she can access the forum and log in. These problems also only seem to affect her, so is it possible her account has been corrupted in some way?

TheDisturbedOne

Can you post some entries in your error log from her IP address after she has logged out? Which MODs are you using?

dark_dweller

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.thesimswritersguild.com Port 80

And we have one package/mod installed for an Inline Hover Spoiler.

TheDisturbedOne

What about your server's error log?  Are there entries there?
If you haven't made any modifications, I'm convinced it's a server problem, since your forum is quite small and shouldn't have DB problems.

dark_dweller

At the fear of sounding absolutely like a noob.... Are you meaning checking the logs in the CPanel?

(I've only JUST gotten access to the CPanel yesterday because the previous techy admin kept forgetting what the link and password were) But, there was a few errors in the error log when I checked it with some people trying to gain access to the site...

After a rambly message, is it clear what I'm saying?

TheDisturbedOne

Quote from: dark_dweller on September 22, 2009, 08:10:48 PM
At the fear of sounding absolutely like a noob.... Are you meaning checking the logs in the CPanel?
Yes those logs.
It's ok.  If you look back at my first posts, they were quite idiotic.  We all have to start somewhere!

dark_dweller

Alright, so I'll have to go bug the server host now? Lol.

Or at least discuss it further with them?

xcx

I've already spoken to the hosts and they say that it's a problem on SMF's end since it's ONLY Nicole that's getting this problem, nothing that could cause this error is showing up in the error logs, and deleting the forum's cookies fixes it.

TheDisturbedOne

I'm actually thinking that it might be something to do with Nicole's setup.  Can you ask her what her browser is, and what settings she has?  If something only happens to one member, it is most likely something on her end.

dark_dweller

I usually use Opera, but I have been using Firefox lately for the site. I'm not getting the error anymore, that I know of, but I'll keep track of when this happens.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. :)

TheDisturbedOne

No problem.  I'll mark this as solved for now.  If you ever experience the problem again, reply back, and click "Topic Not Solved" in the bottom left hand corner, (by the quick reply box) and we'll sort it out. :)

Advertisement: