News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Popup Buddylist

Started by shadow82x, September 26, 2009, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow82x

In both myBB, and vbulletin they have a feature where you can open up a popup buddylist from the index. It shows the buddies avatars, last login, and online status of the buddy without going to hid/her profile. I have seen others request this, and I feel the community would benefit greatly with this mod.

Refer to screenshot for more details.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Arantor

Where would the link to open it be?

shadow82x

Quote from: Arantor on September 26, 2009, 12:22:11 PM
Perhaps a menu tab titled BuddyList? Not quite sure where else it can be placed.
Colin B

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on September 26, 2009, 12:22:11 PM

New [Buddy List] Tab beside [members] tab .. or a drop down of the Members tab (SMF 2.0)
:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Arantor

The problem with making it part of the dropdown is that not all themes use it (e.g. none of the bundled themes use it in SMF 2, though I believe RC2's Curve does)

I'm toying with making this, but I'm hesitant to make it for 1.1.

shadow82x

Colin B

Arantor

That's the spirit :P

Seriously, I am contemplating this, but I think it'd just be a tab in the menu rather than anything else.

Costa

Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

aw06

:: ShopinJA.com Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | Ig-Oh Theme by Koni | 70 Rock Solid Error Free Mods | Many Custom Edits & Tweaks ::
- Host Unlimited Websites - Free Website Builder & Templates - Unlimited Disk Space & Bandwidth

Arantor

The one reason I don't want to do this for 1.1 is the support hassle that comes with it. If I write it for 1.1, I can guarantee now that 2/3 or more of posts in the support thread will be "how do I add the button to the menu".

I want to make mods, not forever support them. Because if I'm answering support questions about my own mods, I'm not writing new ones. You'll notice with my mods, they are generally not theme related and install without hassle on most themes. This just wouldn't be possible with 1.1 because it's an edit to index.template.php which is different in almost every theme.

aw06

could maybe implement it on profile view beside the msn/yahoo/etc icons

If the person has no buddies as yet it would send them to this page
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=buddies;u=46050

Arantor

The idea of this mod is not to put it in the profile area though. And any mod that affects profile will clash with Ultimate Profile or S-Ace's improved profile mod.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2009, 03:17:16 PM
The idea of this mod is not to put it in the profile area though. And any mod that affects profile will clash with Ultimate Profile or S-Ace's improved profile mod.

well with his mod new profile look, everything is shown when you actually go on a persons profile page ... I was referring to the profile summary on every post page below usernames ...

If not beside the msn/yahoo/etc ... beside the homepage/profile/pm buttons

shadow82x

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2009, 03:17:16 PM
Yeah the idea is to easily access the buddylist using a popup on any page without going to the profile.

If you want a new layout/look for the buddies on the profile page thats a separate request.
Colin B

aw06

Another possible location ....

QuoteHello username

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
:: Popup Buddy List ::
September 27, 2009, 03:47:08 PM

::)

Arantor

Still a template edit, and one that's even harder to get right than the menu in 1.1.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2009, 03:51:07 PM
Still a template edit, and one that's even harder to get right than the menu in 1.1.

most mods require template edits for custom themes ... it would be one less step than to add another navigation button...

For now .. im going to do the edit and just point it to the buddy list page  8)

Arantor

It'd still be an edit, and at least with navigation buttons there's usually a standard format to use for all the other ones.

Adding this would actually take up more time to support since I'd have to dig through the code longer.

I cannot see any way for 1.1 that I'd be prepared to make this without having endless support questions which I really don't have the time to support without giving up writing new mods.

aw06

:D .. lol ,, ok man . you win, Still not tempting for me to upgrade to 2.0. who knows maybe one day.

I did the edits to my boards ...

Thanks Shadow82x for the initial idea :)

Arantor

And you have a nicely custom template that I'd never DARE attempt to try and manage in mod editing by the looks of things.

As for not upgrading, the list of features in 2.0 is sweet, not to mention the fact that way less mods have to be manually added :)

Once I finish up my current 2.0 only mod, this one will be next.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on September 27, 2009, 04:16:08 PM
And you have a nicely custom template that I'd never DARE attempt to try and manage in mod editing by the looks of things.

As for not upgrading, the list of features in 2.0 is sweet, not to mention the fact that way less mods have to be manually added :)

Once I finish up my current 2.0 only mod, this one will be next.

Will be next as another 2.0 only mod  :D ?

Arantor

The buddy list will be a 2.0 only mod as I can't see a good way to make this 1.1 compatible without forever having to provide theme edits.

aw06

Ok, fair enuff  :)

I'm trying to think of a mod that installs without custom edits on any theme ::) I remember installing a few mods, can't remember now, they only make changes to sources and standard default files that 99% of custom themes use ...

I think the youtube embed mod is like that and pretty url, cant remember thou .. but that same principle i guess can be used, where it would somehow embed the buddy list link within post ..  :-\ I'm lost

Arantor

If you're being strict and saying *no* theme edits at all, very very very few will manage that. Not even the YouTube embed mod can claim that because of language strings which are by definition theme edits (since the theme directory is the home of language files)

Looking at my own mod list, mods without any theme edits at all:
Last Edit Link, Page Dropdown, 1 unapproved mod (2.0 only, I might add)

Mods with only language string edits:
Image Host Whitelist, Dice Roller, Auto Lock Old Topics, Linkback, Ignore Another User, 2 unapproved mods (1 for both, 1 2.0 only)

Oddities:
Left-To-Right and Right-To-Left BBcode Buttons, ROT13 BBcode, Aion Syndication, Moderator and Administrator Comment Tags
These have language strings, sure, but otherwise edit no template files in 2.0. In 1.1 they require editing of the Post.template.php file.

It is possible to do but not all mods suit that. There is NO way in 1.1 that you can make this happen consistently without having to support endless theme variations. I've been very careful to minimise the theme edits I do as far as possible but sometimes it's just not possible. I can tell you it's a LOT easier in 2.0 though.

aw06

Arantor

Just as a headsup, since this is in its own page, not a popup (as that's easier and sits far better in SMF's structure, IMO), I have more room to manuever with what I can add.

Part of the original page: avatar, user name, last active time, online indicator, send PM button
Things I'm planning on adding: 'This user has you as a buddy' indicator, a 'remove from my buddy list' link, and as per a suggestion from Tyrsson, a "Buddies you have in common" list.

Anything else that would be awesome to add?

Arantor

Well, I'm just finishing up the above list, and I'll pop screenshots of it here before I release it to the mod site (for cust. team approval) in case there's any features anyone wants first.

shadow82x

Quote from: Arantor on September 28, 2009, 05:24:37 PM
Well, I'm just finishing up the above list, and I'll pop screenshots of it here before I release it to the mod site (for cust. team approval) in case there's any features anyone wants first.
Sounds good. :)
Colin B

Arantor

I just have the 'Buddies you have in common' bit, which is just a case of displaying what it's already worked out. Screenshots shortly :)

Arantor

Attached is the main screenshot I just took of the Buddy Page. I'm no artist so it could probably use a touch-up or two, but it works :)

Costa

Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

aw06

I think 'buddies in common' may not be so private, thing i like with smf buddy list, is that it's 100% confidential, people don't know who is buddies with who, which to me is a plus ... I guess you can add an option so people can decide if they want to remain anonymous or show their buddy status in the 'buddies in common' section.

My 2centz

Arantor

Hmm, I did wonder about that, actually.

The problem is there's not really any good way I can think of to get around it; it's pretty much an all or nothing deal.

But that's why I'm leaving it here for feedback before I pass it to the team.

Arantor

aw06

1.1.10 support lol .. juss messing

Arantor

:P

I meant on the feature list. Should I strip some features regarding potential privacy issues (or add a warning to users about it?) or something else...

aw06

Yeah man, add a warning and it should be good to go...

If you can also somehow add a feature to send PM to multiple buddies by check-marking them, that would be killer :D

Arantor

Hmm, I already did something not so far from this today actually with a different mod (for which, yes, I did make a 1.1 version: allow user to send a PM to a whole membergroup)

I'll look into a multi-buddy-pm deal as a bolt on to this. Probably won't be in 1.0 though.

aw06

Quote from: Arantor on September 30, 2009, 08:25:27 PMallow user to send a PM to a whole membergroup)

Any user ? wont that allow for spam ? where in a user can select a large group and send PM ??

Arantor

It's no different to the user typing in all the names of people in a group. The admins can pick and choose which groups can be PM'd, too.

The base use for it is the situation of wanting to send a PM to all the administrators of a site. Instead of the user just going through the member list and adding all the names to a list (which is entirely possible normally), this just allows them to send it to the group at once.

It's also useful if you want to contact all the admins at once but don't know who they all are.

Liam.

Quote from: aw06 on September 27, 2009, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: Shadow82x on September 27, 2009, 01:26:51 PM
Meh. Screw SMF1.1. :P

-infinity  >:(

+Infinity(+1)
Pwned :P

I think it should be in the header user area - next to the Unread Topics/Replies section.

Arantor

But that means a template change :P

shadow82x

Any updates on this Arantor?

Quote from: aw06 on September 30, 2009, 08:19:04 PM
Yeah man, add a warning and it should be good to go...

If you can also somehow add a feature to send PM to multiple buddies by check-marking them, that would be killer :D
Yep, that sounds like a cool feature. :D
Colin B

Arantor

Shadow82x - I was waiting for feedback on what I should release it with (whether I should strip features out, e.g. buddy list being visible to others, or drop a disclaimer to the user somewhere or something)

The PM to buddies actually looks like an interesting feature. I think that's something that could be done pretty easily; though it will likely be a new action to handle the multiple ids and reformat the URL for the PM system (you can directly formulate a URL to open a PM to multiple users, but directing that off a form doesn't work properly, because it relies on ;u=1,2,3 rather than ;u[]=1;u[]=2;u[]=3)

I'll look at that when I get back but if there aren't further concerns I'll submit the base mod as is and submit this as a later version, I think.

Yağız...

I did something and sent to Mod Site. But doesn't have so much feature  :-\

Arantor

Well, I was still waiting for feedback on the features I'd added (e.g. seeing common buddies) before posting.

I'm going to add 'see common buddies' as a permission before I release this one.

Yagiz, looks good :)

shadow82x

QuoteWell, I was still waiting for feedback on the features I'd added (e.g. seeing common buddies) before posting.

I'm going to add 'see common buddies' as a permission before I release this one.
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Colin B

Arantor

Done, it's on the mod site pending approval, http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2204 if you want to play with it.

I see Yagiz also did another off my todo list, keep that up and I'll have to find a whole new list to do instead! (Only kidding; go for it, the more mods the merrier :))

Yağız...

Quote from: Arantor on October 12, 2009, 05:20:59 PM
Done, it's on the mod site pending approval, http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2204 if you want to play with it.

I see Yagiz also did another off my todo list, keep that up and I'll have to find a whole new list to do instead! (Only kidding; go for it, the more mods the merrier :))
Lol, It was on your list? I didn't see it :P (really :) )

Arantor

Yup, this one was as you can see pending my being on holiday, the smileys popup was on the list but quite a way down.

I haven't checked it thoroughly but it looks good at first glance, too.

EDIT, feeling in a odd mood today; thought it might be useful if I attached this mod here. Note that it HASN'T been approved yet. But works as it should and you're welcome to use the code however you see fit.

Advertisement: