News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

problem upgrading from 2.0 RC1-1 to 2.0 RC1.2

Started by hijinx, September 28, 2009, 03:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hijinx

I'm having a problem upgrading from 2.0 RC1-1 to 2.0 RC1.2. When I try to do the automatic update from the admin center, i get this error:

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

I followed these steps to no avail. everything is writable, no luck. i tried to upload the files manually,  but the package manager broswer no longer recognizes any new files. i wasn't haven't problems with this before, and mods were always easy to install. this happened all the sudden for no particular reason that i could determine.

any advice?

tyty1234

Quote from: hijinx on September 28, 2009, 03:19:24 AM
I'm having a problem upgrading from 2.0 RC1-1 to 2.0 RC1.2. When I try to do the automatic update from the admin center, i get this error:

Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

I followed these steps to no avail. everything is writable, no luck. i tried to upload the files manually,  but the package manager broswer no longer recognizes any new files. i wasn't haven't problems with this before, and mods were always easy to install. this happened all the sudden for no particular reason that i could determine.

any advice?

A small search would've gotten you an answer. ;)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=326151.msg2173233#msg2173233
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

hijinx

Thanks, I didn't see that thread.

But unfortunately that won't work because, as stated, i can't use the package manager to do manual installs, and that thread is calling for a manual install (and also, it links to a patch that is no longer available).

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

you can, just extract the files into the packages directory and then go to package manager it will be detected.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/smf_patch_1.0.18_1.1.10-2.0-RC1.2.zip

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

hijinx

thanks, still no luck.

i was able to download it, extracting worked fine, but package manager just acts as if there's nothing new happening.

i think it might be related to another problem, where i'm unable to access certain parts of the admin panel. for example, if i try to click on someone's IP, instead of tracking the IP and giving me info on posts from that address, it takes me to the main index.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

did you extract the contents of the package, and put in a folder then uplaod that folder into the packages directory?

the package WILL detect it if you have done that, also, check permission setting of the uploaded folder they should be 755 or 0755

SMF 2.0 RC5

hijinx

yes, as mentioned, i have done all of that. the package manager does not recognize it.

I followed these steps to no avail. everything is writable, no luck. i tried to upload the files manually,  but the package manager broswer no longer recognizes any new files.

Quote from: hijinx on September 30, 2009, 10:10:47 PM
i was able to download it, extracting worked fine, but package manager just acts as if there's nothing new happening.

again, i think it's related to the other problem i mentioned about certain features just not working on the forum, but instead them redirecting me to the main page when i try to use the features.

I'm not sure if everyone is just repeating the same thing in order to give me a hard time because I didn't find the other thread in a search, and I get that and I'm sorry. But still, my problem is a little different because my package manager won't recognize that patch either whereas the other people's package manager was able to recognize it. And on top of that, I'm having the redirection problem. So I'd like to move forward with the issue.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

I'm not sure if everyone is just repeating the same thing in order to give me a hard time because I didn't find the other thread in a search, and I get that and I'm sorry. But still, my problem is a little different because my package manager won't recognize that patch either whereas the other people's package manager was able to recognize it. And on top of that, I'm having the redirection problem. So I'd like to move forward with the issue.
Nobody is trying to make anything difficult for you, the only reason why is seems repetitive is because that method should work, there is no reason whatsoever that the package manager will not detect that.
Make sure your not trying to upgrade to something you already have, e.g. getting the wrong upgrade file.
Send a screenshot of your FTP screen and package manager too.

If your still having problems, either, ask someone here to help you by trying it themselves or contact your host support tech.

SMF 2.0 RC5

tyty1234

My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

Hell Raiser

Need Help with SMF ? Ask me may be i can help you out

hijinx

Quote from: tyty1234 on October 02, 2009, 12:31:09 AM
What does your forum error log tell you?

good question... i went to check, and low and behold, it redirected me to the mainpage. yet another feature that's not working that i wasn't even aware of. this is so frustrating.

Quote from: Hell Raiser on October 02, 2009, 12:34:55 AM
Well do the update manually 

haha, argh!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

You might want to check this out with your host. We would figure out a few things via the error log if you can get access to. Makes things a bit easier for us.

If it is a paid host, you should actually be provided with it as normally they do provide this feature. If you want to get it confirmed before you go to them, you may tell us who are they and we might read a few things out from there which might probably give us a idea about what is possible on your side.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Can you please post a link to your site, and PM someone here with a temp admin password and username so it can be checked out 1st hand.

SMF 2.0 RC5

hijinx

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on October 02, 2009, 12:11:03 PM
You might want to check this out with your host. We would figure out a few things via the error log if you can get access to. Makes things a bit easier for us.

If it is a paid host, you should actually be provided with it as normally they do provide this feature. If you want to get it confirmed before you go to them, you may tell us who are they and we might read a few things out from there which might probably give us a idea about what is possible on your side.

oh, i was thinking they meant the SMF error log. Yeah, I can definitely check my host's error log. i don't know if it'll really register as an error though on their end, since it's not resulting in a server error, it's just sending me to the main forum index. i'm at work behind a firewall right now so i can't access my cPanel, but once i'm at home i'll look into that.

Quote from: johncccccc on October 02, 2009, 12:16:49 PM
Can you please post a link to your site, and PM someone here with a temp admin password and username so it can be checked out 1st hand.

yeah, i'll give out an admin password to someone I don't know. great solution  ::)

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm going to ask that you respectfully leave this issue to someone else. I've been using SMF for 2yrs (and phpBB 3yrs before that), and FTP for at least 10. I'm not a complete moron. although your suggestions were initially on target and I understand others have had success with them in different situations, they are no longer relevant as I've provided additional information.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: hijinx on October 02, 2009, 02:07:25 PM
yeah, i'll give out an admin password to someone I don't know. great solution  ::)

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm going to ask that you respectfully leave this issue to someone else. I've been using SMF for 2yrs (and phpBB 3yrs before that), and FTP for at least 10. I'm not a complete moron. although your suggestions were initially on target and I understand others have had success with them in different situations, they are no longer relevant as I've provided additional information.

Well ok then suite yourself, it seems you dont really want any help anyway, you may not want to sound like a jerk, but you really do

Im sure you can fix this simple issue out your self, with 10 years of using FTP, I'm assuming not via some simplified online file manager, and using different forum softwares you should figure out this soon enough, although with all that experiencing I don't see how you have no solved the issue already, I dont have half that experience and I solve many of these silly errors myself, and just because someone here has a " " "temp " " " admin password does not mean they will do any harm, all you need to do is watch out who you give it too, only give to official support team members.

Good luck fixing your error, try not to be ungrateful to the one who helps you and finally figures it out.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: hijinx on October 02, 2009, 02:07:25 PM
Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on October 02, 2009, 12:11:03 PM

oh, i was thinking they meant the SMF error log. Yeah, I can definitely check my host's error log. i don't know if it'll really register as an error though on their end, since it's not resulting in a server error, it's just sending me to the main forum index. i'm at work behind a firewall right now so i can't access my cPanel, but once i'm at home i'll look into that.

SMF error log is the most useful one if you have access to it as all SMF errors lead into it, although there are a few things that a host might have set disabled which might cause problems aswell. The inbuilt SMF error log should not be disabled unless by any chance it is on a domain like smfforfree or some fixed smf hosting provider settings.

hijinx

yeah, it's definitely not disabled by default, i've used it for troubleshooting before. it's just recently many of my features have stopped working and it just redirects me to the main forum index (as if it's a 404 redirect, though no server error is actually happening).

Antechinus

johncccccc, please try to keep your comments constructive. Flaming is not going to resolve this issue.

hijinx, one of the SMF team might be able to look at it for you. I can't do it today as I'm flat out with other things already.

I've just had mod installations go weird on a particular host. They seem to have changed things in the server. Check and see if mod_security and mod_rewrite are listed in the loaded modules for the server. Those can make a mess of things.

Also sometimes files can just drop bits of code. A file refresh might help and can't do any harm. It would mean reinstalling mods though (which is a pain if the package manager is playing up).

Tyrsson

any advice?
This could also happen if by some chance the host modified files as the root user, which would have killed the chown to your account. I would start a ticket and ask if any changes have been made to your account for the server such as new modules being installed and/or loaded.

You can check to see if mod_security or mod_security2 is installed by uploading a phpinfo file What is phpinfo.php? If you get lucky and the host uses mod_security then you can usually work around it with an .htaccess file. If its mod_security2.... Find a new host.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

hijinx

thanks!

mod_rewrite, mod_security, mod_security2, are all not installed, which is good news.

But what is better news is that Tyrsson triggered my memory and  i think s/he is absolutely right... about a month or so ago my host moved me from one server to another for load balancing. perhaps that led to changes to my root account/file ownership. Ticket is opened and once i have access to my cPanel i can do some more investigation.

Good looking out, it's greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what my host says. Hopefully this resolves it.  :D

Advertisement: