News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

RSS Question

Started by kizko, September 27, 2009, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kizko

I want my RSS to expose just the first topic from a category, not the reply`s. How can i do that?

Jade Elizabeth

That's an interesting question.

If you remind me, I'll look into it tomorrow :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

kizko

SMF can`t do that (as i know). The most easyer way is to go on www.feedburner.com/ and register yur link. They will expose only the first post. If you find a way to do it from SMF, that will be great!

Jade Elizabeth

Well the Show XML feed or what ever function at the top of the news.php source could be edited or you could cheat...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=25009.0

action=.xml;sa=news <that's that you want

in index.template.php in each of your theme's folders, find this:
// If RSS feeds are enabled, advertise the presence of one.
if (!empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']) && (!empty($modSettings['allow_guestAccess']) || $context['user']['is_logged']))
echo '
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name_html_safe'], ' - ', $txt['rss'], '" href="', $scripturl, '?type=rss;action=.xml" />';

Replace with this:
if (!empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']) && (!empty($modSettings['allow_guestAccess']) || $context['user']['is_logged']))
echo '
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name_html_safe'], ' - ', $txt['rss'], '" href="', $scripturl, '?action=.xml;sa=news;limit=10
" />';

Change the limit= number to what ever you choose, but keep in mind that RSS readers load that many each time, not in total ;).

I'd not recommend going over 100, maybe even 50 to be honest.

Let me know if it works out :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

Apparently there's a mod waiting to be approved which does this:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2162

meko me

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on September 28, 2009, 03:58:11 PM
Well the Show XML feed or what ever function at the top of the news.php source could be edited or you could cheat...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=25009.0

action=.xml;sa=news <that's that you want

in index.template.php in each of your theme's folders, find this:
echo '
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name_html_safe'], ' - ', $txt['rss'], '" href="', $scripturl, '?type=rss;action=.xml" />';

Replace with this:
echo '
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name_html_safe'], ' - ', $txt['rss'], '" href="', $scripturl, '?action=.xml;sa=news;limit=10
" />';

Change the limit= number to what ever you choose, but keep in mind that RSS readers load that many each time, not in total ;).

I'd not recommend going over 100, maybe even 50 to be honest.

Let me know if it works out :D.

working  ;D ;D ;D

Jade Elizabeth

Awesome :D

I wanted to up the limit of mine, cause I didnt like it being on 10, so that's how I did it :D.

meko me

Hi jade RSS is being sent out frommy email not from my user name for example

can u do something like in WP so that rss should display my user id instead of my email ?

Regards
meko 

Jade Elizabeth

If you're making it send from something other than SMF I doubt it.

Your forum should use its own email, for example mine uses "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

I'm not sure how to assign a name to that.

You can set it up in the mail > mail settings section :).

meko me

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on September 28, 2009, 08:48:10 PM
If you're making it send from something other than SMF I doubt it.

Your forum should use its own email, for example mine uses "[email protected]" or "[email protected]".

I'm not sure how to assign a name to that.

You can set it up in the mail > mail settings section :).

Thank u But Please Kindly do something like in WP so that RSS displays Thread Starter usrname instead of forum webmaster's email :)

Regrads
Meko

Jade Elizabeth

Oh, well that makes more sense.

I don't know how to do that. If I did I would do it. It's listed as a feature for 2.1 though I believe :).

kizko

Nice one Jade Elizabeth !!

But is there a posibillity do display only once a topic?

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: kizko on September 29, 2009, 01:04:30 PM
Nice one Jade Elizabeth !!

But is there a posibillity do display only once a topic?

Can you rephrase the question please? I don't understand what you mean :).

kizko

I`ve set my RSS into feedburner.com

Here is the link : click

Why isn`t the post title going to the original post? The link the oppened window link or the index page. Why?

I used
Quotehttp://forum.psp-fanatik.ro/index.php?action=.xml;sa=recent;boards=4,5,6,7,8,15,16,17,22,32,31,49,2,3,28,4350,27;limit=10;type=rss2
as RSS Link

kizko

Here is the new feed. Same error!

click

Jade Elizabeth

That, sadly, is a lovely Feedburner feature. Even my feeds in my sig do it. You're going to need to contact support to figure out if you can change it :).

kizko

But you feed from you sig have link in theyr title to the supposed topic.

Mine just send me to expose page.

Jade Elizabeth

There's something wrong with your RSS feed, I can't fix it. You need to create a new support topic on this :).

Advertisement: