SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is out for Charter Members!

Started by Aaron, October 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 06, 2009, 04:04:40 AM
Don't forget to uninstall your mods before updating, then reinstall your mods.
Ugh, what a nightmare. 90+ mods, many of which had to be manually edited-in due to them not installing cleanly. So that's a lot of manual un-editing. :(

Norv

You don't need to undo the manual edits as well, because when you overwrite the files with the files from the upgrade package, they will be ... well, overwritten. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Norv on October 06, 2009, 09:11:04 AM
You don't need to undo the manual edits as well, because when you overwrite the files with the files from the upgrade package, they will be ... well, overwritten. :)

So I can just force a dirty uninstall for anything that kicks up errors, and ignore those files it errored on? It just wants to see a database that reports "no mods installed"?

elwizard

Nao 尚

Quote from: sremick on October 06, 2009, 09:13:26 AM
Quote from: Norv on October 06, 2009, 09:11:04 AM

So I can just force a dirty uninstall for anything that kicks up errors, and ignore those files it errored on? It just wants to see a database that reports "no mods installed"?
Yes.
Although you may not even actually need to uninstall the mods I believe, but it's better for having a clean SMF. I haven't tried this myself I must say, I'm only remembering the last time I upgraded SMF the regular way rather than with diff patches (that was 2 years ago.)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

MultiformeIngegno

Will be useful to have selectable checkboxes near every MOD, and also one that select automatically all, and then a button to disable/enable 'em all together (like Wordpress!)!

What do you think about it? :)
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Arantor

The thing is, you can't just disable a mod, you have to uninstall it (since it changes the files). Installing a single mod is computationally expensive, doing multiple at once - especially if you have 50+ (let alone 100+) would likely cause the operation to fail.

青山 素子

Some modification authors do include an interface to enable or disable their modification's functionality.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Arantor

Very true - I do on some of mine, but there is no central enable/disable mechanism other than uninstalling/reinstalling AFAIK. (If there is please let me know so my mods can support it)

MultiformeIngegno

And how about adding a built-in enable/disable system for mods? This will help also when getting errors that cause serious problems to the forum; if SMF notices that something doens't work properly, automatically (or prompting an advice that invites to) disables that mod (like wordpress, that imho has one of the best plugins system)! :D

Don't know if it would be too difficult to add, maybe for the next major release... :P
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Kenny01

Hey guys, i just discover that the new SMF have 63 tables while 1.1.10 have 51 that's 12 tables more...

I was thinking that the new release will have less tables.

Nao 尚

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2009, 02:16:47 PM
The thing is, you can't just disable a mod, you have to uninstall it (since it changes the files). Installing a single mod is computationally expensive, doing multiple at once - especially if you have 50+ (let alone 100+) would likely cause the operation to fail.
Plus, it's best to uninstall mods in the reverse order of installation. (Latest mod gets uninstalled first.)
Otherwise, some mods are bound to conflict.

@Kenny> Why? It has many, many more features...
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Nao 尚

Quote from: lorenzone92 on October 06, 2009, 03:27:24 PM
And how about adding a built-in enable/disable system for mods? This will help also when getting errors that cause serious problems to the forum; if SMF notices that something doens't work properly, automatically (or prompting an advice that invites to) disables that mod (like wordpress, that imho has one of the best plugins system)! :D

Don't know if it would be too difficult to add, maybe for the next major release... :P
There are two ways (AFAIK) to make software plugins:
- Either allow mods to modify code inside the original software. Best flexibility, but may cause conflicts with different versions or additional mods,
- Add "entry points", "hooks" into the original software code, that will call a series of functions that belong to the mod. This would allow such a feature as what you're referring to, but would make mods much more complicated to develop, if only because hooks can't be placed everywhere (it would kill performance), so there are many things you couldn't do.

So... I guess they will tell you no ;)

poolhall

Am I the only one who can see the font on the on.png icon resembles one of the oriental fonts like Hebrew?

Yigal

Quote from: poolhall on October 06, 2009, 04:22:27 PM
Am I the only one who can see the font of the on.png icon resembles one of the oriental fonts like Hebrew?

lol!  I see it too :P
Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

Kenny01

Yigal

Quote from: Kenny01 on October 06, 2009, 04:25:15 PM
You guys will always complain on something free.

Not Complaining.. :/  Just pointing something out.
Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

Advertisement: