News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is out for Charter Members!

Started by Aaron, October 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullbreedluverz

out of curiousity why was the centered menu curve preview image  left aligned - looks better centered

IchBin™

IchBin™        TinyPortal

Yahmez

It looks like a text re-sizer is built in judging by the preview images (upper right). I do not see that in the curve demo sites though. Is that going to be a feature?

Antechinus

Stikkki: the centered menu is a pain to get working with drop menus. Try it sometime and see how you go. :D
And don't tell me about "div width 50%" and "margin auto" because we both know that gives a half-arsed result that doesn't work all the time.

Yahmez: all browsers these days have a zoom function, so it was decided that including a text resizer in Curve was a waste of space and code.

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: Antechinus on October 07, 2009, 09:10:11 PM
Stikkki: the centered menu is a pain to get working with drop menus. Try it sometime and see how you go. :D
And don't tell me about "div width 50%" and "margin auto" because we both know that gives a half-arsed result that doesn't work all the time.

Yahmez: all browsers these days have a zoom function, so it was decided that including a text resizer in Curve was a waste of space and code.

i know but then im a numpty (the msn messages have shown u that on several occasions lol)

SoLoGHoST

Just wanted to make you all aware of this and hopefully this is fixed in RC2.  In Firefox, trying to hit alt+s to submit a post sometimes brings up the History FF Browser menu instead.  And then, if this happens, will not allow you to submit the post.  That is once you hit alt+s trying to submit the post and the History Menu in FF pops up, either clicking on the Post Button and/or alt+s again, has NO EFFECT!  It will not submit the post at all.  Only way to get around this is to copy your message and than go back to the topic and click on the Reply button again and paste it back into the body of the message and click on Post this time.

Well, this is very annoying.  Just wanted to let you all know of this if you all didn't already.  I never experienced this problem when I was using IE, just FF has this issue.

青山 素子

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 07, 2009, 10:16:52 PM
Just wanted to make you all aware of this and hopefully this is fixed in RC2.  In Firefox, trying to hit alt+s to submit a post sometimes brings up the History FF Browser menu instead.

It's an issue with Firefox. Back in 2.0 (I believe), the developers decided that web applications taking up default shortcuts was a bad thing, and so Alt+letter won't work in it. You need to add the Shift key to the combo. If you want to complain, there are at least a few bugs on the Firefox Bugzilla, but the browser devs are fairly solid on the issue and probably won't be changing it.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

SoLoGHoST

I am using Firefox 3.0.14, issue still remains.  The issue isn't with Firefox, it is with ALT+S as this is a FF Browser MenuItem, so the issue is with SMF Choosing this shortcut key combination and should be changed to a different shortcut key IMO.  But like I said, it's an annoyance, but I can live with it nonetheless.

Cheers :)

IchBin™

No, it's not an issue with SMF. It was change in FF like Motoko said. Take a look in a google search and you'll quickly see that is the case. In fact, here's a link for you.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=446830
IchBin™        TinyPortal

SoLoGHoST

Nao 尚

Quote from: Antechinus on October 07, 2009, 09:10:11 PM
I centered my Curve-based menu in minutes.
Table magic :P

QuoteYahmez: all browsers these days have a zoom function, so it was decided that including a text resizer in Curve was a waste of space and code.
I liked the text resizer, too. I'm ashamed that I never noticed it was removed.
I'm guessing this was removed only because of changes to the font size system that were incompatible with it?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Antechinus

Well yes you can do it with a table, but they're supposedly anathema these days.

Nao 尚

Yeah... No, they're not.

Basically, there are people who only code with tables, preferably with border=1 and red text on brilliant green backgrounds.
Then you have the CSS zealots who will work for days on a single table because it refuses to align correctly when it's turned into a div.
And inbetween, you have the regular users who respect standards, but who don't give a damn about whether it's a table or a div and use what makes most sense.
Really, tables ARE standard. They're just frowned upon by many semantics activists who think a table should only be used on tabular data.

Recently, I pointed out to the team that with Curve, the "Report to a moderator" link could be in the middle of a post, and thus have an exposure that is probably not wanted, as opposed to Core where it sticks to the bottom of the message and thus remains quite discrete.
http://dev.simplemachines.org/mantis/view.php?id=3794

This is where CSS reaches the end of its capabilities, I believe. I couldn't find a way to make it work (and I tried hard -- look at the comments).
The same thing happened to me when I wanted to add a left-floated div with a sidebar on my board. Guess what? The regular contents had a clear:both setting at some point, and the rest of the page showed below the sidebar. Woohoo. Couldn't get it to work. After 5 minutes I got rid of my div and replaced it with a table. Now, it worked straight out of the box. Weird, uh? No, not that weird-- tables do what they're asked to do. You can place a sidebar somewhere, tell it how it will align horizontally and vertical, and so on. Divs don't do that. Maybe they do (display: table-cell, maybe?), but I don't know how.

So, basically -- Curve is not "ready for prime time", as I like to say. It's a very nice improvement over the basic Core, and I have to say the team's desire to go all the way sematics can only force my admiration, but beyond that, it has to work. That's the bottom line. So, tables.

(Okay, seriously, this topic is going to be to be split into several topics at some point...)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Norv

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 08, 2009, 06:15:19 AM
(Okay, seriously, this topic is going to be to be split into several topics at some point...)

As long as it goes (semi-)off-topic for a while, then it comes back on track, I see no very good reason to.
Discussing the improvements themselves brought with RC2 and their trade-offs is not even that off-topic. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

bloc

The clear: both; is something that should be avoided. Many errors with floats can be fixed using overflow instead.

The problem is that simply transferring the rigid setup of Core theme isn't gonna work that well in Curve's css setup all the time. But, its solvable.

*Can

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on October 07, 2009, 04:52:03 PM
Quote from: *Can on October 07, 2009, 03:53:07 PM
I think the content is not important. SEO = Hit = Money
W-O-W.
Message of the month.
google uncle, saying: :
SEO = Hit = Money :P SMF is not well optimized! 
SMF  = NO MONEY :(

Quote from: Arantor on October 07, 2009, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: *Can on October 07, 2009, 03:53:07 PM
SMF, 2 different versions is ridiculous. 1.1.x will be completed when. ( Require 1.1.x termination )

But content is the KEY for SEO. Every guide every written on SEO requires content, how can you optimise for search engines if you have nothing to optimise for?

I found my own way. Turk outsmart  ;)
Personel WeBlog[/b > http://www.candirgen.com

Kenny01

Garou

I don't know where Ive been the last 5 days but I just noticed this was available :-[
I cant wait to try it out. That and to see what if any mods I have to change to work with it. LOL

Kellerassel

i hope the version 2.x will release in 2009 :D the rc are very good, so i hope to know the true promise of the new version :D

Ben_S

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 08, 2009, 12:57:12 AM
Ok, np.  So will just use ALT+SHIFT+S than. :-\

Given that the help text actually reads "shortcuts: hit shift+alt+s to submit/post or shift+alt+p to preview"

Probably a good idea.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Advertisement: