News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is out for Charter Members!

Started by Aaron, October 03, 2009, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyty1234

Quote from: Antechinus on October 10, 2009, 07:59:04 PM
Curve? Yes, it is. Although I worked on it I have only just started playing with customising it and I must say I am surprise at how easy it is. Obviously some things will still require template edits, depending on how far you want to push the design envelope, but you can do quite a lot without changing any markup.

Of course, being an idiot, I like pushing the design envelope. :D

The theme I made for my website is actually the Core theme. It was easy for me to customize to make it look what it is now, and if I can pull it off for Core, I can pull it off for Curve.

When RC2 comes public of course. ;)
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

ameo

This may be stupid question, but will there be any PSD files available for download, to easy change color of some parts of the theme, such as navigation. I have some issues with orange, unfortunatelly :P

By the way, will theme that was made for SMF 2.0rc1 work without problems  on SMF 2.0RC2?
antechinus:
QuoteIf you are dying for a solution it may be wise to seek medical attention.
Get some Awesome Smileys for your forum

|±(ಠ_ಠ
)±|

青山 素子

Quote from: ameo on October 11, 2009, 03:30:54 PM
This may be stupid question, but will there be any PSD files available for download, to easy change color of some parts of the theme, such as navigation. I have some issues with orange, unfortunatelly :P

As far as I know, a theme developer kit is planned. I don't know the timeline on it offhand.

By the way, will theme that was made for SMF 2.0rc1 work without problems  on SMF 2.0RC2?

It really depends on the number of changes. Most themes will require work be done to update them for RC2 and newer.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

NHWD

Quote from: watchhorse on October 10, 2009, 01:00:12 PM
Quote from: Kenny01 on October 10, 2009, 12:57:54 PM
If they make it public now, the support team will be overloaded with supports.

This will be the same if they make it public next week, month, year, ...
He has a point...

Afro

you guys are the best

sits back with jack daniel to wait for pub release

Garou

Bah, there is no such thing as a stupid question. What is stupid is doing things the wrong way because questions were never asked. At least that's what I tell the people under me at work.

In looking at the theme, there are a handful images in ./Themes/default/images/theme that may or may not need to be altered based on what you intend to do. Many changes can be made just by altering ./Themes/default/css/index.css just like you would the style.css and a couple other css files in previous versions of SMF.

I'm also pretty sure that there will need to be some edits to most all older themes as several of the various .css files have been merged into the index.css. It also depends on what edits had to be made to the index.template.php and or some of the other files.

I wouldn't expect any of the older themes to just plug and play without some work but right now its not looking a lot of work will be needed for any one theme. I do feel sorry for those theme designers that have a lot of themes that people will want upgraded though.

That said, Curve and the updated Core themes seem much easier to understand and modify that even a novice like me can change the look pretty easily. :)

Once I have my mods converted to work with RC2 I plan on working out a few themes where in the past I wasn't really good at it or maybe I was just to chicken really put the effort into it.  :P   Right now I'm feeling much more confident about being able to make something decent with the new system.  :)

Sordell Media

Couple of questions:

1. How do we check the status of our Charter Membership. I did have one once, and thought it should still be active but cant see the link - want to check when I last paid before paying again just to double check.

2. Has anyone put together a list of mods that have been upgraded to RC2? I dont mind waiting for the mods to be upgraded, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'll lose before upgrading my forum so I can warn my users.

青山 素子

Quote from: Sordell Media on October 11, 2009, 11:14:20 PM
1. How do we check the status of our Charter Membership. I did have one once, and thought it should still be active but cant see the link - want to check when I last paid before paying again just to double check.

It's under "Paid Subscriptions" in your profile.

2. Has anyone put together a list of mods that have been upgraded to RC2? I dont mind waiting for the mods to be upgraded, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'll lose before upgrading my forum so I can warn my users.

Nope. Since it's a preview release, there is no way to mark a modification compatible in the mod site.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

SoLoGHoST

Well, hopefully no one minds, I have put together a topic in Chit Chat called SMF RC2 Mods/Themes for those of us who want to start adding their conversions/creations for it.  Please, this is not an official thread for this, just a way for us to keep track of what's been done thus far by mod/theme developers.  Keep in mind that any conversions you do may need to be reconverted again once RC2 goes public.

Cheers :)

Kenny01

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 11, 2009, 11:47:39 PM
Well, hopefully no one minds, I have put together a topic in Chit Chat called SMF RC2 Mods/Themes for those of us who want to start adding their conversions/creations for it.  Please, this is not an official thread for this, just a way for us to keep track of what's been done thus far by mod/theme developers.  Keep in mind that any conversions you do may need to be reconverted again once RC2 goes public.

There's no point converting, if it need to be re-converted again for the final release.
I do rather wait for the final release before doing anything.

Jerry

Quote from: Motoko-chan on October 11, 2009, 11:38:18 PM

It's under "Paid Subscriptions" in your profile.

Nope. Since it's a preview release, there is no way to mark a modification compatible in the mod site.
On the nice side, you can't filter for any type of incompatibility either? hehe (just endless pages of modes that don't work >.>)

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Kenny01 on October 12, 2009, 12:51:52 AM
Quote from: SoLoGHoST on October 11, 2009, 11:47:39 PM

There's no point converting, if it need to be re-converted again for the final release.
I do rather wait for the final release before doing anything.

That's why I hold on to all of the code and never throw it away, including RC1.2, even after RC2 goes public.

Kenny01

Hey, this forum is now on SMF 2.0 RC2, that's cool.

But there's a conflits with the menu on top,  "Simple Machines Community Forum" is hiding the "Home" button.

That's a bug for those with a long forum name.

Kenny01

Quote from: Antechinus on October 12, 2009, 07:50:58 AM
Your monitor is too small. :P
You're wrong, my monitor is large and big, i'm using a PC and not a laptop.

I do suggest to reduce the size for the "forum name" in the defaut theme before the final release. It look too big at the moment.

Antechinus

It probably would start running out of room on a 1280 screen but that extra top menu isn't part of the standard RC2 anyway so it wont affect other sites. We should do something about it here though since 1024 screens are still quite common.

ETA: It's easy to change the name size in the css yourself. ;)

Kenny01

Don't mistaken me, because you have two home at the top, i'm refering to this "

* Home
    * Community
    * Download
    * Customize
    * Support
    * Docs
    * About
    * Contribute
    * Development"

Özgür

Quote from: Antechinus on October 12, 2009, 07:50:58 AM
Your monitor is too small. :P
My suggestion is move to upshrink image, and resize the site title maybe we can replace title to smf logo. Because we need to think future. :P Maybe we need new items in here.

And 1024x768 is a web standart and mostly user use that.
So Long

Antechinus

Quote from: Kenny01 on October 12, 2009, 07:59:15 AM
Don't mistaken me, because you have two home at the top, i'm refering to this "

* Home
    * Community
    * Download
    * Customize
    * Support
    * Docs
    * About
    * Contribute
    * Development"
Yes I know. As I said, that menu is not part of a standard RC2 release. It is a custom addition for this site only, so there wont be any interference problems with the standard Curve.

yashmaf

Hi.

I'm not sure if you have a dedicated topic for curve just yet and reporting bugs/problems etc.. so I'm going to use this thread for now.

I've noticed that the buttons on the far right when in board or topic view have their "rounded corners" cut off or missing (ie the Print and Mark Read buttons).
Also, I strongly feel that any of the menu items that have drop downs need some sort of indicator that they are -- just a small arrow or something. It took me a while to figure out that some menu items are drop downs at all!!

Thanks.

Advertisement: