How to view/read .sql file (database file) on computer

Started by Paul123, October 04, 2009, 03:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul123

Hi,

I downloaded the .sql file (back up file).  Is there any software that I can run/view this file on my PC?  I'd like to view this file on my PC as same as what it is shown on the server, just like I have another indentical forum but running on my PC without connecting to server.

Thanks,

tyty1234

My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

Arantor

You can view it in Notepad if you like, but it's just a text file containing a series of instructions.

To actually be able to use it, you require a database server (typically MySQL) and then to import that into it, either by command line or a tool such as phpMyAdmin.

Your best bet would be to run a local webserver with the above packages, if you're on Windows, Xampp would likely be your best choice.

Paul123

Quote from: Arantor on October 04, 2009, 04:30:38 AM
You can view it in Notepad if you like, but it's just a text file containing a series of instructions.

To actually be able to use it, you require a database server (typically MySQL) and then to import that into it, either by command line or a tool such as phpMyAdmin.

Your best bet would be to run a local webserver with the above packages, if you're on Windows, Xampp would likely be your best choice.

Thanks a lot.  This is very useful.  I'll try to install them on my PC.  Thanks again

Thantos

Please do not that the install and upgrade SQL files are not pure SQL.  They do contain some coded instructions in them.

Advertisement: