Advertisement:

Author Topic: How to view/read .sql file (database file) on computer  (Read 61590 times)

Offline Paul123

• Semi-Newbie
How to view/read .sql file (database file) on computer
« on: October 04, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
Hi,

I downloaded the .sql file (back up file).  Is there any software that I can run/view this file on my PC?  I'd like to view this file on my PC as same as what it is shown on the server, just like I have another indentical forum but running on my PC without connecting to server.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:44:05 AM by Paul123 »

Offline tyty1234

• SMF Hero
  • <?php give_support(); ?>
    • tyty1234's SMF Site
Re: How to view/read .sql file (database file) on computer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:38:19 AM »
I think you are able to view it with Firefox.
My Activity: Inactive
My Links: tyty1234's SMF Site | SMF Package Parser | SMF Helper | My Mods [5]
Subscribe to my SMF blog for updates
PMs for support will not be accepted, unless requested otherwise.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • StoryBB/StoryBB on GitHub
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
You can view it in Notepad if you like, but it's just a text file containing a series of instructions.

To actually be able to use it, you require a database server (typically MySQL) and then to import that into it, either by command line or a tool such as phpMyAdmin.

Your best bet would be to run a local webserver with the above packages, if you're on Windows, Xampp would likely be your best choice.
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

No good deed goes unpunished / No act of charity goes unresented.

Offline Paul123

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
You can view it in Notepad if you like, but it's just a text file containing a series of instructions.

To actually be able to use it, you require a database server (typically MySQL) and then to import that into it, either by command line or a tool such as phpMyAdmin.

Your best bet would be to run a local webserver with the above packages, if you're on Windows, Xampp would likely be your best choice.

Thanks a lot.  This is very useful.  I'll try to install them on my PC.  Thanks again

Offline Thantos

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
Please do not that the install and upgrade SQL files are not pure SQL.  They do contain some coded instructions in them.